Rotterdam 2009

1 to 20 of 177 messages
09/10/2008 at 21:28

I've just entered, anyone else doing it? Couldn't see a thread about next year's race, point me in the right direction if im wrong

Cheers,

Rob

28/10/2008 at 14:09
I'm thinking about entering this myself. Had a pretty shocking 5 hour + first marathon so want to get my time down.

I don't really know too much about it, is it a fast course? How many entrants?

20/11/2008 at 17:53

I've just taken the plunge and entered - I'm about to start training for my first marathon  I booked the pasta party too.

Anyone else?

30/11/2008 at 16:13

I'm in too... first marathon, but did the Amsterdam Half last month and was impressed by the organisation, hope this is a Dutch trait!

RW rates it as flat and fast, around 20.000 entrants.

30/11/2008 at 20:20

Anyone booked a place to stay yet?

Simoncjw, I think the 20,000 is for all the events? All my events so far have been hilly, I thought I should start my marathon career on a flat course just to see how different it is. Not sure I will be fast though...

01/12/2008 at 20:38

yes you are right on numbers RebekahJane... I'm not sure how many will be doing the marathon then. But there is no half, so anyone who wants more than a gentle jog (10k) will have to step up to the full thing!!

Not sure how fast I'll be either, but it definitely feels fast running around a flat Dutch city after training on hilly trails!

03/12/2008 at 12:08

I've entered this too! Still need to books flights and accomodation. Anyone recommend a place to stay?

I would post the question in the 2006 thread, but not too sure what's going on in there!

03/12/2008 at 15:44

yes, I saw that thread too - looks like it's evolved into a fully-fledged community!!

Can't help with flights / hotel I'm afraid. I live in Brussels, so I'll drive over the same morning.

18/01/2009 at 20:05

Anyone still training for Rotterdam?! Come on, there are more messages on the Rotterdam 2006 thread than this one, can't believe there aren't more of us who are entranced by the delicate beauty and charm of this wonderful Dutch city.

Or perhaps more realistically, drawn to sign up by the very flat course!

19/01/2009 at 09:31

I'm still in full swing for this. Flights and hotel now booked and looking forward to it. Now debating whether to race 20 miler on the 1st of March or just use it as an easy long run.

Steve

19/01/2009 at 13:16

Did 16 miles yesterday in the freezing cold and over 2000ft of ascent - I'm still heading for Rotterdam and I'm looking forward to flat!

Still to book flights and hotel......can't decide on a hotel, I think it is called procrastination - how did you decide where to stay Steve G?

19/01/2009 at 15:52
Just picked the closest I could get to the start/finish. Staying in the Hilton for 2 nights. Expedia had a half price deal a few day ago. Although at £74 a night it's by no means cheap. There is another close to the start which is a little cheaper, but I didn't like the look of it. Can't say I spent much time looking though.
20/01/2009 at 13:30

A 2-mile recovery run today with the dog - lovely weather, shame to keep the mileage so low.

We should have received our confirmation email and PDF information magazine within the next 10 days.......then I guess it will all seem real! There's at least three of us still in the running (no pun intended ).

£74/night is probably about as cheap as it gets - especially if you want a comfy bed and a bit of quiet the night before. Looks like I missed the deal, it's £158/night now - but at least that means I can procrastinate some more......

20/01/2009 at 14:47

24k on Sunday... what's that in miles? about 15 I think, so I'm behind you RebekahJane!

I'm still deciding whether to stay the night before, or drive over that morning (I live in Brussels). 

Driving over would be ok, but I have a feeling the drive back would be hard!!

20/01/2009 at 15:04

The last few miles HURT!! But, I think that was due to the cold and the climbs I had done en route. I must start thinking in km or I will get very confused on the day. 16 miles is around 25.75k I reckon that put me starting back across Erasmus bridge.

I don't think I'd be able to drive before due to nerves, and after due to stiffness.  

Anyone aiming for a time? I'm telling people I just want to get round...

20/01/2009 at 16:12

I was targetting sub 3 hours until I was laid up with 'man flu' for two weeks over Christmas. Now looking at sub 3:10 for a new PB. But will see how it goes over the next few weeks. Comfortable 14 miler is my longest run this year at a relaxed 7:45 min/mile pace so I retain some optimism.

I drove home after the Edinbugh marathon last year - 5hrs without stopping. Not recommended! Literally fell out of the car when I got home.

Edited: 20/01/2009 at 16:13
20/01/2009 at 18:27

Time?

I'll telling people sub 4 hour for my first (only?!) marathon.... but really I'm aiming to break 3:30! 

I've done a few 20k / half-marathons, and my predicted time from them is 3:40, so some work to do to achieve this!

23/01/2009 at 18:27

Got my confirmation email, race number & rotterdam info magazine today... now it seems real!

I think that should be enough motivation to kick me out of bed tomorrow morning for another training run... it seems quite close all of a sudden!

Simon

23/01/2009 at 18:36

Got mine too. Looks very well organised They even have funky cups at the drink stations!

Can't wait... well I can as I have to get a few more miles in first.

23/01/2009 at 19:34
yes, I hope to get enough miles in so I'm not relying upon attending the prayer service beforehand!!
1 to 20 of 177 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.