Royal Parks Half Marathon 2012

anyone entering?

81 to 94 of 94 messages
04/02/2012 at 10:01
It's along roads for the first 1/3 (they close the roads), then you go through beautiful woodland trail for 1/3, and then final 1/3 is on roads leading to Versailles.
There were bands all along the course, my favourite bits were a brass band playing "Another One Bites The Dust" about 1km from the start and around 9km (after I had a massive coughing fit & had to stop for a bit ... I had a really AWFUL cold & cough for the race last year ) one of the trumpet players from another band followed me as I was getting back into my stride . Own personal fanfare
Edited: 04/02/2012 at 10:02
05/02/2012 at 16:34
Emmy_bug wrote (see)

I'm another one interested - when is it Xine? I'm currently in Belgium so it's only a short hop on the train down to paris.

Emmy_bug, have you run the 20km de Bruxelles? Registration is on 24 March this year (will sell-out within a few hours) for race-date 27 May.  www.20kmdebruxelles.be
I'm also in Belgium (Brussels).  Ran the  Royal Parks in 2010 & 2011, and hoping to get a 2nd-ballot spot for 2012, otherwise someone's going to be getting a RPHM hoodie for Christmas!
05/02/2012 at 17:30

Hi Rocketman!

Yes, i ran the 20km last year and hated it (if i'm honest). There was just too many people for the route and it was too hot. As they've moved it to start at 10am this year am going to see how I get on. If I get in through the registration queue I'll do it, but am not too fussed.

I'm a little annoyed that the Antwerp 10 miles and London Marathon are on the same day; Antwerp is a fantastic city to run through. I'm living in deep darkest east flanders (Sint Niklaas) but I work in Brussels.

Have you not got your ballot mail yet?

07/02/2012 at 22:46

Hi Emmy_bug,

Unfortunately, I've missed on both first and second ballots for RP this year.  I'll have to make do with the hoodie 'consolation' prize this time,

On the Brussels 20km, I know what you mean ... it is rather crowded and the first 5k are pretty much spent in collision-avoidance mode.  And the long hill up Avenue Tervueren back to the parc 50naire is draining! But overall, even with the crowds I enjoy the day ... and since we live near the 50naire, I might as well be running with the crowd.  I didn't realise the start was switching to the morning, yes, that should avoid some of the hot afternoons we've had. Maybe they'll also give some thought to doing staggered wave starts.

I've done the Antwerp 10 miles twice, also a fun event.  Actually, there are a lot of good races all around Belgium, and it's a great way to explore-around different towns.

Sint Niklaas ... I've been there, for the fabulous Zythos Beer Festival!

I wonder if there are many other Belgium-based runners on these forums?  I hope our cold/snowy spell ends soon. (I'm Canadian ... so cold weather doesn't really bother me ... except that Belgians, or Bruxellois at least, can't figure-out how to clear snow from sidewalks etc., so what little snow there is is left to become dangerously icey underfoot for running!)

20/02/2013 at 17:23

I very naively paid the £46 to be entered into the ballot for the Royal Parks Half Marathon and didn't get a place. I am new to running and to be honest this has left me upset (and with less money and no race).

I will therefore, like last year, run for a charity instead. I've still lost £46.

I've noticed the rising number of dissenting voices against this system and I only hope the Royal Parks Half Marathon change their system. This blogger has some fairer ideas:

http://domsrunning.wordpress.com/tag/royal-parks-half-marathon/

I will now take the advice of some of the other people on this forum and choose races which do not use a ballot system. Should anyone in the meantime find they can't race please pm me. I know this is against the "rules" but the Royal Parks are an underhand organisation which in my books makes this ok.

20/02/2013 at 23:13

^^^

Totally understand your frustration, I got bounced for the last two years, last 4 for London Marathon and in the inaugural Ride London 100 only last week....but actually got accepted to Royal Parks this year. First come first served is much more preferable, it's almost a sport in itself and does reward commitment and persistence. However people do get shut out that way through no fault of their own, witness the ongoing chaos around the Chicago marathon entry which opened yesterday, the site promptly melted down and they still haven't got it back up...

Fact is running is getting more and more popular and consequently so are the really 'big' races.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 23:14
21/02/2013 at 08:46

lol Tim Erroll ...... sometimes people also think that by donating the £46 up front they get preferential treatment in the inital ballot ....... they don't. Personally I think its a complete cheek and Im suprised people fall for it.

Plenty of races without a ballot, but its still annoying that the London races are so heavily dominated by the charities ......

I still think they should have certain 'qualifier' HM's and Marathons where if you complete one of these in the last 12 months, that gets you to the head of the queue over the johnny-come-latelys ....... but anyway I'll get shot down again over encouraging newbies, even though if newbies want to run that much surely a trip to Reading, or Watford etc isnt too much to ask of them to free up some slots in the London ones ....... Im not quite sure that the reasoning that newbies should be given a nice flat course on one of the worlds largest cities to entice them at the expense of runners who have put in a modicum of effort  is that sound to be honest, but thats just my opinion. 

21/02/2013 at 10:15
Let me get this straight, if you don't get in through the ballot they just take your money and you don't get it back?
21/02/2013 at 10:17
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
Let me get this straight, if you don't get in through the ballot they just take your money and you don't get it back?

That is exactly right. To be fair they do tell you that. But yep, thats how it works. You do have the option NOT to do this, but you won't be put in the draw for a second ballot where you can fight over scraps (so basically you are unlikely to get in anyway).

I would never give them the money, thats just taking the P.

21/02/2013 at 12:54

I entered the ballot for this last year (succesfully) - when I saw they provided the option of paying your £46 in advance I ignored that option and just entered the ballot without paying.

It does take the P - agree.

21/02/2013 at 13:44

the twice I paid up front for this I got a place through the second chance ballot - so for me it was sucessful. 

21/02/2013 at 13:47
Bettyspaghetti wrote (see)

the twice I paid up front for this I got a place through the second chance ballot - so for me it was sucessful. 

Oh well I take it back. Personally I don't think its worth the risk, but hey ho.

21/02/2013 at 17:42

This pay up front for a second chance ballot is nothing at all, London Marathon have been doing it for as long as I can remember...

21/02/2013 at 18:52
At least you get something for your trouble like a coat or a fleece. It's also 14 quid cheaper so you aren't quite as badly off.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.