Royal Parks Half Marathon 2012

anyone entering?

1 to 20 of 91 messages
17/01/2012 at 16:28

The ballot for this year's Royal Parks Half Marathon opens tomorrow at 10am - is anyone else going to try their luck?

I ran this year and loved every minute of it (despite a horrible experience with gels!), I'll definitely be entering the ballot again.  

17/01/2012 at 17:03

Yup, I'll try again this year.  No luck last year in the ballot.

17/01/2012 at 17:50
Yeah I'm gonna give it a go, entered the first two (and still wear the shirts - pongy!) - no joy since it went to ballot. Wonder how much it'll cost this year.
17/01/2012 at 18:25
I'm going to try but no luck in the ballot last year......
18/01/2012 at 08:21
Good point Johnny, I forgot that Royal Parks is pretty expensive. Just checked and this year it is £45

Also noticed that if you select the "pay now" option & are not successful then your entry fee gets automatically donated to the Royal Parks charity.

Good luck everyone - not long to go now!

http://royalparkshalf.com/ballot/
pmo
18/01/2012 at 08:51

Yeah, I'll have a go again. Ran it in 2010, but messed up by going off too fast - it's expensive but a good flat course.

Don't forget the 'free' hoody if you cough up but dont get a place - much nicer than the VLM junk .

Good luck everyone

pmo
18/01/2012 at 10:54
Yes, good luck everyone who enters this, it's a great race for runners and spectators.

See you back here in 2 weeks!

18/01/2012 at 11:27
xine267 wrote (see)
Good point Johnny, I forgot that Royal Parks is pretty expensive. Just checked and this year it is £45 Also noticed that if you select the "pay now" option & are not successful then your entry fee gets automatically donated to the Royal Parks charity. Good luck everyone - not long to go now! http://royalparkshalf.com/ballot/

I just read that myself! That's downright cheeky, bordering on underhanded!!

I'll be choosing Pay Later, just because of that! £45 is expensive enough, but to be forced to donate it without getting to race??

18/01/2012 at 12:06

I'm still pretty new to running but am assming that's not normal then - paying to enter a ballot then automatically having the money taken still even if you don't get in?  Is that how it works with VLM, Great North Run, etc....?

I was planning to enter but not sure I want a £45 hoodie considering I'm like a radiator and can't usually wear hoodies because I overheat!  Any idea if you're still expected to pay the £45 if you choose 'pay later' as I get the impression they'll still push you for the £45 even if you're not successful??

18/01/2012 at 12:20

Sonic- If you chose 'pay later' they can't force you to pay... If you get a place you have a few days to register and pay the fee.  If you fail to do this you will lose your place.  Simples

18/01/2012 at 12:21
Good stuff - that's the way forward then!!
WiB
18/01/2012 at 13:08

just checked the site out.... £45 for just a half marathon?! Not a chance.

WiB
18/01/2012 at 13:09
Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

I'm still pretty new to running but am assming that's not normal then - paying to enter a ballot then automatically having the money taken still even if you don't get in?  Is that how it works with VLM, Great North Run, etc....?

Sonic, there are many, many other races you can do which have no ballot, and are a great deal cheaper than things like the Royal Parks and GNR.

Fortunately, the races WITH ballots are the exception rather than the norm - it's just that they are very popular (although I don't know why, I don't like huge, crowded events and I certainly don't like their entry fees!).

Have a look at the events section and search for races in your area/region, and you will find loads

Edited: 18/01/2012 at 13:10
18/01/2012 at 14:39
I've entered.
18/01/2012 at 14:59
Too expensive. There are so many other half marathons out there, much cheaper and not involving trying to get to London on a Sunday morning (too far in advance to check for engineering works, Tube line closures etc).

But good luck to all of you who enter - hope that you get in and enjoy it.

Just out of interest, what was the fee for the London marathon?
18/01/2012 at 15:05
I think it's less than £30.
WiB
18/01/2012 at 15:07
London Marathon is £28.... or it was for a GFA entry. I am fairly sure it was the same for the ballot.
WiB
18/01/2012 at 15:10
I think London Mara fee is about the same.

Here's my justification for huge fee - it's just a few miles from my house so unlike every other race I enter, no travel costs; you get a good quality shirt (i'm still wearing mine from 2008); it's a really good one for spectators; you don't get many chances to run across westminster bridge, etc.

Yes it's taking the P but I'm sure the organisation and cost of shutting all those major roads doesn't come cheap.

18/01/2012 at 15:49
 London Marathon 2012 ballot place £35     Wilkie is spot on btw
18/01/2012 at 16:06
I've entered, it was my first ever half marathon so would like to do it once more..... and do it properly more to the point!

But at 45 quid I won't be donating the fee!
1 to 20 of 91 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.