RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Run it! Live it! Love it! Again!

781 to 800 of 1,718 messages
Keep Plodding On    pirate
27/08/2012 at 19:51
james McCourt wrote (see)
Done 20 miles and half on Sunday and went for a 6 mile run today. Can't wait for the marathon now. I am having a bit of a problem with chafing on me groins so just bought a pair of compression shorts so hopefully that will help.

Hiya James, I'd also recommend Bodyglide too. I didn't like it at first as I wanted the greasy 'Vaseline' reassurance that it was on when applied but I prefer it now I'm used to having it on.

20miler for me on Sunday went well, although one of the hills was an absolute beast  . 4 nice easy miles today and I'm starting to feel I will be ready for Liverpool when it comes around

27/08/2012 at 21:36

Hi Alan

Are High 5 gels available during the race and, if yes, which types EnergyGel or the new IsoGel? I'd like to use the same during training. Don't want any tummy troubles on the day!

28/08/2012 at 08:15

Darren Brown 8 - I'm intrigued by the notion that a 10K distance in a marathon would somehow deter peopel from entering the marathon. can you expand on this theory?

Michael - I have no idea what kind of (High 5) gels are being provided but will endeavour to find out.

28/08/2012 at 17:07

It will be EnergyGel and EnergyGel Plus. I can't confirm the flavour. 

I trust that is sufficient information?

28/08/2012 at 17:10

are those gels free on the way round?

28/08/2012 at 18:02

Hi Alan

Info is great.

Thanks

28/08/2012 at 18:41

Struggling to get some runs in at the minute with family and work commitments.

Only one 9miler in the last week or so. I guess the rest may do me some good being as i am running the Blackpool half on Sunday but can't help feel annoyed that i'm not getting out and putting the mileage in.

Hopefully that will change tomorrow.

28/08/2012 at 18:50

Finished all the holidays, so can now concentrate on training. Some good runs in North Cornwall and Church Stretton, plenty of hill work!!!

Wolverhampton half this weekend, should be a good marker to see how I'm getting on.

Hotel & train booked, can't  wait for the weekend.

28/08/2012 at 21:01
Thanks for the info I will try that body glide. Just can't believe how quick the marathon has come round only feels like yesterday I was crossing the finishing line last year
28/08/2012 at 21:41

Yes it is coming up soon! I've had my plane tickets for a while and am finalizing all of my hotels now. Been looking forward to it for a while, cant wait to see everything...

28/08/2012 at 23:31
GP77 wrote (see)

are those gels free on the way round?

Nothing is 'free' when it comes to running these events......but the cost of the gels has been covered by your entry fee (and event sposorship).  I'm not sure I could cope with carrying the correct change around with me.......but I'm sure Alan would get some interesting feedback if we had a cheap entry fee but had to pay for drinks/gels/tunnel fees during the event!

29/08/2012 at 08:06

Spot on Xabidood!! There are only two events in the U.K. that can do what they want.

Heatstroke, just to let you know I got soaked by the rain this morning on the way in to work. You have been warned!!

29/08/2012 at 09:30
Alan I noticed on the website that there is official liverpool marathon clothing, is this going to be available to buy on the day?
29/08/2012 at 10:29

Yes it will be.

29/08/2012 at 21:04

I bought a pair of Asiacs and have trained in them for the past 6 months, and done a half marathon in them.

However - a hole has appeared on the "netting" at the front, just above where my big toe is.

Do a perserver with them and hope it doesn't get any bigger? I wouldn't like to start in a new pair of trainers this late in the game - did my first 20 miler last weekend.

any thoughts welcome

G

30/08/2012 at 08:09

GP77 - normally you would have several pairs of trainers to rotate during your runs but if you are just using the one pair then a second pair with six weeks to go would be fine. Just use them on your shortest training runs in your programme to ensure you don't get any rubbing.

Regarding the hole, you may be running stronger on one side (have you had this before?) or alternatively they may be too big allowing your foot to move forward inside the shoe every time you take a stride, especially if you are running with a stronger or heavier foot stride on one side?

If the stitching isn't causing you any problems at this time then I would worry too much. 

30/08/2012 at 08:42

Hi Alan - thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to go back to the shop today and see if they suggest anything. I may well invest in another pair as well.

30/08/2012 at 10:35

Anyone else doing the Blackpool half this weekend as a warm up event to Liverpool?

Edited: 30/08/2012 at 10:35
30/08/2012 at 12:49
Ive got the Warrington half next week, good luck for Blackpool Gramck24
30/08/2012 at 14:21
No, im doing Blackpool 10k this sat and Warrington Half next weekend, good luck for your half - are you going to see what your final race pace will be?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.