RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Run it! Live it! Love it! Again!

1,321 to 1,340 of 1,718 messages
11/10/2012 at 09:02

Hello all. Long time lurker and first time poster. I ran my first marathon this year in Hulls inauguration race, except I haven’t, as apparently the course was 400m short on the day, so technically Liverpool will be my first marathon.

I feel in great shape for this race as I joined a running club over summer and feel the interval and form training especially has really done my overall running wonders. I weighed myself this morning and id put on 3lbs which shocked me at first, then I read an earlier post by chronitopian who mentioned this is normal at the carb loading phase. Guess im doing it right then. Phew.

Im doing one more club run tonight which is a steady 5-7 miles with stops. Then that’s it, Im ready.

The big challenge for me will be when I check into my hotel in Liverpool on Friday (making a weekend of it with the family) and somehow have to try and stay off the grogg for 48 hours. Help!!

11/10/2012 at 09:06

Sean, dont worry, you can more than make up for it on Sunday after the race!

11/10/2012 at 09:09

aye. Im thinking a glass or two of red with my dinner on friday and thats it. Just a little treat for myself, as long as I stop their.

11/10/2012 at 09:28

Hey all, 3 days to go, possibly the slowest week of all time! Exciting times

And Sod's law nursing a calf/achilles strain after my Parkrun 5k PB last Saturday which is annoying the life out of me. Hope it settles right down next 3 days but if it doesn;t nt going to let it affect my run, extremely fit and trained too hard for this

Sean - Sunday is going to be an epic feast and boozing session post race. Why not wait and fuel your motivation for getting through the race a bit more?!

11/10/2012 at 09:43
Edited: 11/10/2012 at 09:44
11/10/2012 at 10:06
Gramck24, I reckon that looks pretty much perfect for running on Sunday. Fantastic!
11/10/2012 at 10:07
Only problem is ..... It means I won't be able to blame the weather if I do a slow time!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
11/10/2012 at 10:10

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J-pb8BlvzLw/Tgm3Xwx9P5I/AAAAAAAAAwE/-NYrdpK1BqM/s1600/3DTG.png

11/10/2012 at 10:11

Whose wearing sunglasses for this?

11/10/2012 at 10:17

Cybarev - A lot can change in 3 days but it looks promising.

GP77 - I'm consideing it.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 10:18
11/10/2012 at 10:42

Shadosc i did the Manchester marathon, I always find it hard when people say the route was boring its 26 miles at some point its going to get a little boring but you have to run somewhere, people last year moaned about the Liverpool marathon spending to much time in Sefton park again it didn't bother me. Again people moaned about the organisation, i thought it was well organised they did let themselves down with the baggage collection which was a nightmare but they have promised to put it right. Liverpool last year was my first marathon and it was fantastic but I found Manchester just as good and thought that the support in Manchester was better (as a Scouser thats hard for me to say) although the last mile in Liverpool was special. Some of the route in Manchester could do with changing in my opinion as it got very boggy but the weather was of Biblical proportions. If your thinking of doing Manchester I would say go for it

11/10/2012 at 10:50

It's all getting a bit close!! Eeek!

I'm staying at a hotel in Albert Docks and it looks as though my only real option is train but it's a 2 mile walk to the station. Is this likely to be OK (on the way back I'm thinking!) or do you reckon it's worth trying to get a taxi to either there or the park?

Sorry to ask such a silly question but my brain doesn't seem to be working this close to my first marathon!

11/10/2012 at 10:53

If you read the Race Instructions it advises you to park at Liverpool ONE (opposite the Albert Dock) The shuttle bus goes from there.

James Street train station is next door to Liverpool ONE. It's not 2 miles away.

11/10/2012 at 10:55

Nykie - you can get the train or the shuttle bus and I'm sure you will be able to get a bus ticket on the morning outside Debenhams as you board.

11/10/2012 at 10:57

Thanks Alan. I don't know the area at all but the hotel info gave the station as 2 miles away which sounded a bit of a trek on tired feet. I had a look at the race instructions for shuttles but again using googlemaps it all looked a bit of a way to go.

It's really helpful having someone who knows the area - thanks!

11/10/2012 at 11:09

It helps that I organise the race as well. You don't get that level of service from London...

11/10/2012 at 11:12

Nope - definitely don't get that from London! Another bonus point for Liverpool Marathon!

acp
11/10/2012 at 11:28

Just popping in from the Chester Marathon forum to say good luck everybody! Hope you all get the times you're after!

11/10/2012 at 11:33

Good luck ACP! Hope you get the time you're aiming for!!

11/10/2012 at 11:40

Just popping in the add my best wishes to all runners this week end.

I ran this last year and was fortunate enough to meet a few forum members afterwards for a couple of drinks and to sort the world out.

I would also add despite my own concerns about getting to start/drinks, organisation etc in hindsite the only issues I had were in my mind. Everything was run very smoothly

Once again good luck for Sunday, I hope you get what you deserve and remember to enjoy it.

1,321 to 1,340 of 1,718 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.