RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Run it! Live it! Love it! Again!

1,381 to 1,400 of 1,718 messages
12/10/2012 at 07:22

Oh yes, weather forecast now says 'Sunny' on MET Office & BBC, light winds from the south (5pm) - the best weather for days. Now... as long as it doesn't change again...!

Carb loading is bizarre. I could practically feel my calves inflating yesterday with all the water & good stuff. Lots of tea w/ honey, too. I'm loving it.

FRC, my number is 318, and I'm wearing a blue Motor Neurone Disease Association vest. 

It's great to see everyone getting excited on here! I don't think anyone can really understand it unless you've spent all summer training and looking forward to an event that finally feels like a reality!

12/10/2012 at 07:42
Chronotopian.. Just checked about 10 different forecast sites and they all say SUNNY. Wooo hooo. I'm not going to look again in case it changes!!!
12/10/2012 at 08:44

The Garmin 'Lap Reset' advise is really good, but just a balanced word of warning - and it's along the lines of "nothing new on race day".....  I've always just generally relied on auto lap for my runs, but when I first started trying to incorporate some speedwork into my training and tried to use the manual lap to slit my intervals, oh the number of times I accidently pressed the stop button instead of lap reset and then found half way through a tough work out that Garmin ignored half of it!

Does anyone else find that they are hyper sensitive to niggles coming up to a race?  In the week or so leading up to the last race I ran in I had niggles that on one day was my left hamstring, the next day my back, then my right ankle, then my left knee, yet I was fine on the day.  So, I've been really good at following my taper plan and not getting too tempted to do more than I should, and this week I've only done an easy 7 miles on Saturday, an easy 4 on Monday then an easy 4 last night, all of them a good minute slower than marathon pace and I stretched as normal afterwards.  Yet after last nights stretching I had a tight niggle in my right calf that feels a bit like I've been kicked, yet I really haven't done enough to have injured it I'm certain.

I'm now really worried and don't know what to do for the best.  Should I ignore it?  Strap it?  Stretch it out?  Have a little extra loosening run?  Ibruprofen?  ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!  Please advise room!!!

12/10/2012 at 08:52

Alan, is Jamie Carragher setting off the runners on Sunday or do we have another local celeb to do it? If it's a person from the Blue or White side of town my lads might come to watch the start. If its a Red they'll probably give it a miss and support from Hamilton Square!

12/10/2012 at 08:58
Rest up Martin you will be fine. Dab of ibuprofen on areas. Hot bath. Does sound like taper phantom soreness.

Lap button works fine, you hear a beep. Split on screen.

Celeb is Paula Radcliffe I thought?
12/10/2012 at 09:02

I feel so shallow after asking that last question!!

12/10/2012 at 09:13

PR not attending. I'm pleased to say local runner James Hughes and his step father John Courtney are staring the race. James and John ran one of the Olympic legs in Liverpool with the torch.

12/10/2012 at 09:19

Overthinking this Garmin thing! ,I'm going to go with manual laps and I can always press it at half miles just to make the average pace more accurate. Looking forward to the tunnel, did plan to do the tunnel 10k (Wallasey Tunnel) but dates didn't line up for me.

Mate of mine is in the band, a lot of people saying that was a big highlight of the race last year when coming out of the tunnel.

Weather looking better, windy today so hopefully that'll die down, I'd rather have a bit of rain than wind.

Last run last night, 3 miles in the mud. May go out on the bike tomorrow for an easy spin.

Race number is 1505, red top (of course!)/black shorts

12/10/2012 at 09:26

I dont think the average pace will work on the Garmin after the tunnell because the distance will be incorrect, but you can set the watch for time - average lap which will calculate the time on your watch and divide it by the laps you have done giving you the average time you are doing each lap in.

12/10/2012 at 09:45

Did my last jog last night. Managed a very fast 4 miles just to keep the engine running, and I must say my legs felt great. Ive really been piling in the water and carbs this week and with all these excess carbs floating around I felt like a rocket ready to take off.

Im really looking forward to Sunday now and I cant wait to experience the warm hospitality of the Liverpudlians over the weekend.

12/10/2012 at 09:47

I usualy use my Garmin to check average pace over each mile & overall pace for the whole race. Worked out some time ago the overall pace will be wrong after the tunnel. Have downloaded, printed & laminated a pace band which will tell me my required time at each mile marker. Will still use the garmin for average pace over each mile (but these miles may not tally with the mile posts), but my pace band will tell me overall if I am on target.

12/10/2012 at 10:11

Stubee -  love it.

Cosmic- I use a pace band.

Martin - I'm the same as you, I have a phantom calf strain and of course I could not breathe on my short run this morning !!! 

12/10/2012 at 10:20

To one and all - I'm out and about most of today and tomorrow so if I don't get the opportunity can I wish everyone taking part all the very best on the day.I hope you get the times you want or better.

On your marks...

12/10/2012 at 10:23

Obviously Paula Radcliffe worried by the elite field here and didn't want to risk being embarassed.

Her loss.

Pace band is really useful. Your brain starts to do weird things at 17-18 miles and loses ability to count or remember things I find.. Lots of free ones online.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
12/10/2012 at 10:31

Keep calm Alan. I'll be there tomorrow too but I know you'll be doing your headless chicken act....

12/10/2012 at 11:26

I do that every day, not just approaching THE MARATHON...

12/10/2012 at 12:42

Cosmic.... good idea about the pace band, have just downloaded myself one

12/10/2012 at 16:06

It's all gone very quiet. Have you all gone to bed early? Shipping medals, T shirts and all kinds of stuff down to the start area. If anyone is coming down to the Race Information point tomorrow I probably be in and out most of the day so say hello.

We've got medal holders, merchandising, massage, kit bags if you're picking up, shuttle bus tickets and my darling helpful wife on hand to attend to you. She does it so much better than me.

12/10/2012 at 16:08

where is the info point tomorrow alan? Sorry it probably says it loads of places.

12/10/2012 at 17:12

I have had "taper madness" pains too. Was convinced I'd strained my calf last week standing up from my chair at work!! I went for a run 2days later and was 100% fine. I am now somewhat confused by the whole Garmin thing. I was planning to just monitor my speed and assumed it was your average pace for the last mile only that was diplayed?? (I have a 110) Am I wrong??? 

On another note, I am VERY excited!!!

1,381 to 1,400 of 1,718 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.