RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Run it! Live it! Love it! Again!

1,521 to 1,540 of 1,718 messages
15/10/2012 at 08:44

FANFLIPPINTASTIC

An unscheduled toilet break may have cost me the sub  4 I was hoping for but I absolutely chuffed to bits with my 4:00:13, especially as I dug deep and fought everyone of those 13 seconds over the last half mile!

Congratulations to everyone, there's some cracking times in the posts above and a BIG thank you to Alan and the Run Liverpool team.

15/10/2012 at 09:01

One thing that I think might have improved it is having the 10k numbers on the back of people too. I found myself going faster in the fist 10k than I should have.

15/10/2012 at 09:30

FANTASTIC - big thanks to the team/volunteers/spectators!

Lucky with the weather - could have easily been some nasty waterfront headwinds. Superbly organised and a lovely route to run (despite heartbreak hill). Tthe tunnel was a fun experience (but why did everyone stick to the left of a sweeping right hand bend!?!), and the drums as you emerged created an amazing atmosphere. The spectators were amazing! and helped me to a 20 minute PB. One 'downside' was the only official photographers I noticed were literally just after I had eaten a chocolate energy gel at the top of heartbreak hill, haha can't wait to see how they turn out...

15/10/2012 at 09:34
Still buzzing, want to do it again, now! Feel ok, managed to walk the kids to school
15/10/2012 at 09:49
Great event Alan and the team!amazing support lovely route and great organisation. Be proud Run Liverpool. worth every penny
15/10/2012 at 09:50

I agree that the tunnel exit was better than anything I've experienced in a race before. Also, running along the waterfront on the Birkenhead side - wonderful views. There was a big barge going at around the same pace as us... loved it.

I'll add a +1 to those saying that it was a clearly well-organised event. The volunteers were really friendly and did their job flawlessly. Having the cadets or soldiers in Sefton Park was inspiring, too. The crowds just kept clapping and cheering... I couldn't fault the event, and will recommend to anyone & all.

15/10/2012 at 09:59

Kandinski - I take it you enjoyed the race!

Mish 1 - I wasn't handing out water at the finish. I was drinking champagne and smoking cigars!!

Nykie - can't put the 10K at the back as the 10k faster runners can't run at their pace. It would end up as two separte races and delay the road opening on Wirral by about an hour. That's why the start pen times were based on you pace so everyone stood in approximate time order.

15/10/2012 at 10:13

Alan top marks for putting on that race. That was my 2nd full marathon and the whole experience was light years ahead of the 1st one I run earlier in the year (no mile markers, numbers not sent out in post, course was short).  

I especially liked the way how the course was effectively like doing 2 very different half marathons back to back, with the very unique tunnel part breaking up the courses. The drums coming out of the tunnel were inspired and really got the blood pumping.

I was aiming for a sub 4 hour time and was flying along as I passed 20 miles in 3 hours, then literally after that marker my legs just went to Jelly without warning, and I did the last 6 in 1:19. Alas, slightly disappointed, but still feel proud of my 4:20 time. I think that last 6 may be down to the fact im carrying an extra stone over my ideal fighting weight which probably caused the legs to go.

Anyway I had a brilliant day, and all of the runners and stewards / volunteers were dead friendly and really made for quite a special race. Ill definitely be back for 2013 and my sub- 4hr time.

15/10/2012 at 10:35

It was my first full marathon and I was very nervous. I had never got over the 20mile mark during training so I was slightly worried that I wouldn't be able to complete the full 26, but the support throughout the course was amazing.Loved the bands as you came out of the tunnel, it all got the adrenline flowing again.

I loved the route and the surrounding areas that it had taken us, from the river side and through parks. The fab weather was an excellent bonus, considering how the summer has panned out!

I aimed to finish about the 5hr mark but impressed myself with a time of 4:25. A target of 4hrs might be in order for next time.

A massive well done to the organisers of the event and all the volunteers for organising a brill race.

15/10/2012 at 10:46

Just want to add to all the positive comments. Fantastic day, iconic course, perfect weather, terrific support. So many volunteers!!!

Thank you to the organisers for making this happen.

15/10/2012 at 11:38

Just to echo all the feedback above, congratulations on an exceptional event which was faultless - terrific challenging course and great crowds and volumteers.

My first marathon and delighted to achieve my sub-4 target with 3:50 which wouldn't have been possible without the terrific support and spirit throughout. Will definitely be running next year. Superb! 

15/10/2012 at 12:02

If anyone would like an extra finishers T shirt we have a small number of medium, large and XL left - no smalls I'm afraid. £5 including postage, send me an email if you would like one or call in to the office if you are passing.

15/10/2012 at 12:32

Don't forget to add your comments on the rating section as all will be added to our web site for all to see.

15/10/2012 at 12:36

where is the rating section? on this website or the liverpool marathone one?

15/10/2012 at 12:37

Have to add my thanks to everyone concerned with the organising, running and participating in the Liverpool marathon, an excellent course with really well spaced water sections. The spectators and volunteers give so much encouragement especially if like me your running very slowly at the back of the field which can sometimes be a lonely existance, 5:42:22 time but finished all the same.

Only my second marathon but am seriousely considering a repeat next year, if my feet ever stop hurting!

15/10/2012 at 12:51

Sean - go on the home page (Runner's World) and scroll down. It's about half way down on the left.

15/10/2012 at 13:01

Alan, I didn't explain myself very well - I meant having the green numbers pinned to the back of the runners' shirts as well as on the front, so that you could see from behind whether they were running the 10k or not.

Emily Schmidt, I noticed that as well, about the people staying in the traffic lanes. It made me laugh! I'm used to doing London and following the blue line, so I was weaving round that tunnel, believe me

15/10/2012 at 13:06

Alan- a massive massive thank you for a brilliant marathon-absolutely outstanding!! 3.09.51 for me a pb and bang on target. So pleased . Only suggestion-please flatten the road up to Upper Parliament Street  -its ok in a HM or 10k but very cruel, almost sadistic, in a marathon. Boston has its Hearbreak Hill you have yours.

Big thanks too to your team and all your helpers and all the people of Liverpool getting involved and enjoying the event.

1,521 to 1,540 of 1,718 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.