RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Run it! Live it! Love it! Again!

1,641 to 1,660 of 1,718 messages
18/10/2012 at 14:17

Nykie - the park backs on to residential properties wher the start pens are so we are obliged to not make too much nise, particularly before 8.30am as it attracts complaints from the local residents.

This is why we only really put out basic information calls and had the choir singing on the start line up to 9.00am

18/10/2012 at 15:25

Gee Gee-I got a pb and am very happy about that

Nyki- I thought the atmosphere was good but in a different way to VLM etc as there was buzz of people chatting ,it was more relaxed than VLM etc and the choir was a nice touch rather than the booming music you often get.It had a very friendly vibe.

Alan - Somewhere it was suggested you might include a half marathon next year.Is this a real possibility? Will the finish line be in the tunnel?

18/10/2012 at 15:59

The idea for the half would be similar to the 10K inclusion this year in that the ifrastructure (I hate that word!!) will be what is already in place. The initial idea was to just take everyone back to the marathon start line which would become the finish line for the half. Split runners off at 11 miles to go back along the first 2 mile stretch into Birkenhead Park. Anyway, that's the plan...

18/10/2012 at 17:07

I loved the start!!! Really relaxing!

Keep Plodding On    pirate
18/10/2012 at 19:17

Never mind the half I'm coming back for the Marathon again. I also liked the relaxed start, my only point at the start (don't think its been mentioned) is that I am pretty sure the race instructions said the baggage 'bags' were available on the day from the baggage lorries so I went over to pick one up to find out they were over near the start area meaning having to cross the field to pick one up and then return back to the baggage lorries again.

Maybe it was my mistake and the instructions didn't say what I thought they did, and its only a very minor point anyway, but just thought I'd mention it seeing as the points raised last year have been corrected and made for a fantastic marathon.

Thanks again Alan, your staff & volunteers

18/10/2012 at 19:39

I had a fantastic time running/walking/running on Sunday and thanks to the fantastic support around the course (especially from Mr Motivator FRC) I just about managed to beat last years time. 

I'm not going to pat myself on the back too much for my PB as the course improvements were also a big help - cheers Alan!  Having done two now, I'm going to bow out of marathons for a while, but I've entered the 2013 Liverpool Half today, so hopefully I'll see some of you over on that page.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 19:45
18/10/2012 at 23:18

I loved this race, my first marathon.
The atmosphere was electric the whole way round the course, I definitely agree with the goosebumps moment coming out of the tunnel as well, made my hairs stand on end.
An incredible race and the great course allowed me to complete in a good time for my first go!

I wrote a little post about it on my blog if anyone's interested please feel free to comment and add what you thought too!
http://www.danielfurze.co.uk/race/liverpool-marathon-2012

Thanks to everyone who took part and made the day so good!

Dan.

19/10/2012 at 06:21
So is everyone doing a spring marathon?

If so, which one?
19/10/2012 at 07:22
Manchester in April for me. My knee needs some physio work and then back into it from January!

I am officially hooked!
19/10/2012 at 09:16

Yeah I'm looking at doing Manchester again too, see if they really have sorted things out from this year. Also looking at going up to Edinburgh in May for the marathon too.

19/10/2012 at 09:27

I am trying to decide between Manchester and Edinburgh,  the Edinburgh course looks a little boring with the whole out and back on the same road thing which can be a bit demoralising. has anyone done both who can comment?

19/10/2012 at 09:58

I have been considering both of these. The reviews of Manchester are dreadful something to do with the organisation and baggage problems.

19/10/2012 at 10:04

I did Manchester last year and there were a lot of organisational problems. You can pretty much gurantee that the race organisers will be working hard next year to avoid a repeat. I'm sure it will be fine.

19/10/2012 at 10:17

rachel - I did Manchester and you can see that it could be a really good marathon, they seriously messed up the baggage at the start though which led to lost items and people queing for ages to collect there bags. Baring in mind on the day there was torrential rain and really strong winds people were getting hypothermic and having to be taken away to be seen by medics/first aiders. The course was also waterlogged in the rural areas.

I'm considering doing it again though because as I said, if they have sorted these and the other issues out, it could be a really good event with great support.

19/10/2012 at 10:24

Alan,

Who proofed the medals??schoolboy error on them big time 

19/10/2012 at 10:42

I know.

19/10/2012 at 11:47

Cant coment on Manchester but did Edinburgh last year as my first Marathon, the out and back bit is a little boring and demoralising for us slower runners but friendly atmosphere all the way round. There is a relay marathon at the same time so expect fresh runners joining at different parts of the course. Bit busier than Liverpool but it was the heat that got to me but still managed to finish, support was good with people handing out sweets and hosing the runners to keep them cool.

A friendly, well organised and enjoyable race and im going back in 2013 having said that I think Liverpool was better.

19/10/2012 at 12:27

Mcattack wrote (see)

Alan,

Who proofed the medals??schoolboy error on them big time 

I think I know but are we keeping it secret

19/10/2012 at 13:51

London for me (after 5 years of trying) , did Edinburgh this year as my first marathon, really enjoyed it & Edinburgh is a very nice place to spend a few days. Can't be dealing with where the Manchester marathon finishes . I may do an off road Marathon next year also & then maybe Snowdon.

Loved doing the Liverpool one & not ruling it out for next year but If I do Snowdon then think they are to close together (for me anyway!). Will certainly do the Liverpool half again.

Hell Up North next.

19/10/2012 at 14:03

King kenny if you are planning an off road marathon I highly recommend the Yorkshireman, small friendly beautiful but tough. very cheap but you wear your t shirt with pride afterwards.

I think I may be doing hell up north too after doing it last year was good fun

1,641 to 1,660 of 1,718 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.