Running - by cruise ship!

Imagine running in a different country every day and returning to luxury at night!

21 to 40 of 47 messages
M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 15:27

Blisters    pirate
26/08/2012 at 17:18

It's an interesting concept, and I am in favour of anyone who comes up with fresh ideas. The basic concept here being to provide some activity/entertainment at the various ports of call. Much of this is already done, but not too much is exercise based. SO, well done on coming up wih a good concept.

I've done a couple of cruises, and enjoyed them. Not too many runners though, as even P&O's biggest ship was able to provide enough treadies for the 3500 passengers. I think that most passengers are self selecting exercise avoiders. This may help attract some.

A negative slant: as the family would want to come, but not run, they would be wanting to do other foms of exploring. It's family time. Sea days are gym days.

As a alternative thought for the previous concerned contributor, talking running is the last thing that would happen. It's unlikely that you'd meet up with the other runners on a big boat anyway.
On the large boat, you could organise it as the MV (boat name) running club, even as late as the first day at sea. Would I want to run every day at every port? No. Would I want to do 5 miles or 15 miles? Gentle jogging pace, or athletic training pace?

Here's another thought for you.
The sailing cycling club? Bring your own bike. There's never usually a problem with luggage if it's a home port departure, but the crew would need to be happy with the logistics of moving awkward bikes around the tight confines of the boat.
Now that does sound like a good drop of fun.

Summary. Running sailing club? A good idea.
Would I do it at every port of call? No. (Unless the ports in the fjords are particularly boring).

UFO
26/08/2012 at 23:34

I went running every day on arecent cruise to Norway. I ran in Stavanger, Alesund and Bergen. That was about 8 am before breakfast. I left a note inthe gym for others to join me,but got no takers.Good luck. Good idea would be to include running coaches etc to speak each night or somebody with a few running stories to tell.

UFO
27/08/2012 at 09:13

UFO, my man! Will keep in touch for more info on where you ran! Any points about the routes would be fab!

Blisters, tried for over a year with the bikes on board idea- but the cruise lines did not want to know - health& safety and lack of secure storage for high value bikes - will try again in the future though as it IS a good idea!

Regarding taking the family - Great idea - is this everyones general opinion? Narrows down the list of possible cruises and being peak season puts up price   - but still possible! Of course could have a second cruise low season too - but lets get the first one of the ground! 

27/08/2012 at 11:50

www.walkjogrun.net/running-routes/Norway

Routes suggestions here but also how about the worlds steepest running race in Bergen - Stoltzekleiven Opp ?

27/08/2012 at 14:17

Could work, but yes, you'd need maybe a variety of distances at the ports of call, and stuff that partners/family could do - and make sure there are 1/2-day non-running activities so runners could run in the morning then go out with partner/family later and see the sights. Also relevant lectures/workshops/training sessions (e.g. core strength training, self massage, nutrition??) and stuff onboard while at sea. And include as much as possible in the "running package", rather than as optional extras - I'd find it very irritating if I was given literature indicating X, Y and Z would be available then found I had to pay £££ extra for each of those. There would need to be easy ways for running people to find each other on board.

UFO
27/08/2012 at 14:35

check out cruisetorun.com I have a flyer from them from a usa marathon.

UFO
28/08/2012 at 10:25

I think the main thing is to have guided runs (or at least run leader and a back runner to pick up any stragglers) at each destination. When you have the destinations worked out you could contact running clubs in each location to see if they would be interested in helping? 

Physio and sports massage sessions on board

Yoga and Pilates classes for runners

Pasta party / team breakfasts

If I was going to book something like this, I'd be happy if the entry cost just covered the accommodation and the running events. I think I'd rather pay around the £400-500 mark and then pay extra for a massage or workshop as and when needed than £800-900 for a load of extras that I probably wouldn't use.

Saying that, if you are suggesting £400-500 including accommodation, running events, workshops, massage, seminars and food - I'm not going to argue

Edited: 28/08/2012 at 10:25
28/08/2012 at 10:27

I like the idea of a goody bag at the beginning of the cruise. And a medal - just because I'm a magpie and like collecting bling

If you are thinking of having race photographers, then I know some people who would be happy to oblige.

10/09/2012 at 12:47

looks like opinion is thats its a good idea.

Will need some structure in ports so runners know the route etc, so ideally local club or somebody onboard with local knowledge that can oblige.

I am thinking Norway as its quite near so not many sea days and because of its spectacular scenery. Anyone any contacts with Norwegian clubs/ascociations?

10/09/2012 at 15:17
08/10/2012 at 19:43

Fab, just running the idea round with a couple of cruise companies!

09/10/2012 at 11:30

Im watching with interest  sounds like a great idea

10/10/2012 at 06:31

Hi Minnie,

One idea I,m kicking about after the Moonwalk up here in Edinburgh is a seperate womens event, possibly with a charity angle, a morning running around the fjords followed by an afternoon in the spa!

Over to you ladies - if "likey" let me know!

10/10/2012 at 09:37
No charadee stuff.
10/10/2012 at 09:57

Eight days on a ship with 800 people - no thanks. 

With 800 people including children

Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

Sounds like a great idea for the wintery months when running in good ol' blighty isn't as nice. ..

It's dark for a lot of the time in Norway in the winter (and it's often very cold, too).  Plus, Tigerspaw's experiences of the weather in the North Sea would put me off, if I weren't already!

10/10/2012 at 09:59
gary donaldson wrote (see)

Hi Minnie,

One idea I,m kicking about after the Moonwalk up here in Edinburgh is a seperate womens event, possibly with a charity angle, a morning running around the fjords followed by an afternoon in the spa!

Over to you ladies - if "likey" let me know!

Women only events - is there a "hatey" option?  (and definitely forget a charity angle!)

10/10/2012 at 10:00

definately summer months probably avoiding school holidays!

10/10/2012 at 10:18
Wilkie wrote (see)

Eight days on a ship with 800 people - no thanks. 

With 800 people including children

Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

Sounds like a great idea for the wintery months when running in good ol' blighty isn't as nice. ..

It's dark for a lot of the time in Norway in the winter (and it's often very cold, too).  Plus, Tigerspaw's experiences of the weather in the North Sea would put me off, if I weren't already!

My comment was about the thought of running in a nice sunny country further south during the winter (or at least any country sunnier than England) - should've put that in my comment really...

10/10/2012 at 10:25

That does make it more appealing, Sonic (shame about the other 800 people though!)

21 to 40 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.