Rutland Water Marathon

21 to 40 of 463 messages
01/06/2010 at 11:12

"The peninsular part is probably the hilliest of it to be honest but the actuall surrounding area of Rutland Water itself is generally hills lol"

I really don't do hills so am going to have to think on this - I had assumed it'd be relatively flat around the water. Naiive?

01/06/2010 at 11:27
From what I remember, the trail does not follow the edge of the reservoir all the way round, there are inclines as the track goes through woodlands bordering the water and at some points you will be some distance from the water on footpaths or roads (I don't think I mis-navigated).  The inclines are not long enough to qualify as a hill in my book but steep enough to get heart rate out of normal comfort zone.  I haven't run the peninsula so I can't tell you about the terrain there.
01/06/2010 at 12:15

You are correct Ferrous, the trail doesn't actually follow the waterline and the inclines on the whole are just that - inclines. There are a couple of points which are quite steep so I definitely wouldn't call this flat by any stretch of the imagination. If you are looking for a PB then this probably isn't the one for you, but that being said, you would be missing the whole point of what FF are trying to achieve. They are trying to set up races that have that little extra in terms of the surroundings to make them a little special and 'out of the norm'.

They did email the course plan for the Woodland Half that I just did a couple of weeks before the race with detailed instructions for the day etc but think that was only to competitors.

I wouldn't say that you were naiive in your assumption in the least Adrian, would seem logical if you didn't know the area. If I remember rightly Google Earth has imagery for the whole track and may give you an idea of the terrain. I didn't have my Garmin when I cycled it sorry so don't have the gen from that for you.

01/06/2010 at 14:52
Unable to offer comments on the thread subject area but thought I would share my experience of participating in a 'Fat Feet' event. Am already entered for the Grimsthorpe Ultra in July but decided (last minute) to enter the Bourne Woodland half marathon - the event took place on Sunday 30th May.

The venue was amazing and the event well organised. Marshalls were plentiful, friendly and encouraging. Drink stations were well placed, directions clearly marked and the course itself first class - lots of variety to deflect any boredom that a monotonous course can bring.

Friendly reception from staff at the finish line was also welcomed and finisher medal and goody bag a nice touch.

Cant wait for the Grimsthopre Ultra.
01/06/2010 at 17:19

James Taylor 33

Good Luck for the Grimsthorpe Ultra.I been reading about this event and it will take 2 days and you run non stop through the night.That mean loads of food and Water?

I sensiable not mad because I love Ultra's but this Ultra to far and impossible to complete.I happy with 45 or 50miles.I allso do Rutland Water Marathon aswell.

01/06/2010 at 19:17
All,

Thanks for the valuable info - I will see what the chaps think in the morning.

I have to say that given that the whole purpose of the next mara is to get sub 4 having missed out marginally in Edinburgh, we may have to look at something like Amsterdam instead.

Sounds like this one would be a shame to do 'head down' and missing all the scenery!
01/06/2010 at 19:45

Yeah, cheers folks.

I think I've just about given up on PB's this year, at any distance!

Unless I can find another 1/3-Mara, maybe...!

02/06/2010 at 11:23
I entered this one yesterday having heard it was 'flat'. Opps. Sounds a bit like Dublin to me. Oh well, I wanted a PB, but think that would still be possible even if this course is undulating if I manage to do more training than what I usually do. Still i couldn't do any others this year and Amsterdam was out, so I think I'll just enjoy this one and see what happens!
02/06/2010 at 18:09
Seems a pretty good attitude, Sarah!
03/06/2010 at 09:17
Hey, Road kill. Have you entered then?

Just read the first page as seemed to miss that one yesterday. There is also another thread for this somewhere. The race organiser described the course as 'fairly flat with a few undulations' and I think they said the race limit was 1000.

Might try and get over to Rutland sometime over the summer and cycle round it to see what it's like.
03/06/2010 at 20:49
Haven't got round to it yet, but I will, provided I get through the next race or two without further damage!
04/06/2010 at 08:50
Great stuff What's up next for you then?
05/06/2010 at 04:17

Two Castles Sunday, BBCHM 3rd July...

forgive brevity... drunken haze...

05/06/2010 at 23:59

Anyone do the South Cheshire 20 and if so any idea how the route for RWM is likely to compare in terms of undulations?  I found the South Cheshire 20 fairly flat but reading the forum reports afterwards, a lot of people found it really hilly.  I train in the Pennines, but would like to do a fast marathon this autumn to make up for a slow performance in Edinburgh.

06/06/2010 at 21:00
Hi all,

The missis and I are looking at this one. I assumed it was pretty flat given the general area and the photos's of Rutland Water on various websites. I did think looking back earlier that perhaps undulations are slightly less than I would call a hill (living in Yorkshire) and I'm hoping that's the case. Certainly felt this looked an interesting one.

AC - I got PB at Abingdon last year so maybe take a look at that one, pretty flat.

06/06/2010 at 21:33

Hi Wharfy -

There are always misunderstandings over how hilly is hilly. It all comes down to what you're used to, and what hill training you've done. If you're used to hills, 'undulations' are most likely nowt to worry about. If not, then they'll seem like mountains! There are even 'flat' bits in God's Country...

I've not done Abingdon but know several who have, and it has a reputation as a fast course.

BTW, is that the the Cow & Calf?

07/06/2010 at 11:51

Well I've entered now, so I'll just have to make sure my training ensures a good time. 

07/06/2010 at 14:15
Wickedgen, I'm in the same position. I'd better get the training in.

Road-kill, how did your race go yesterday?
07/06/2010 at 14:15
Wickedgen, I'm in the same position. I'd better get the training in.

Road-kill, how did your race go yesterday?
07/06/2010 at 19:00

Thanks for asking, Sarah, I took it easy, but it went better than expected, really. 8 mins slower than last year, and 9 mins off my PB, but more importantly not too much pain! Actually there may have been an element of alcohol anesthaesia...

I'm going to miss the BRAC 5km on Thursday, and most likely the Arden 9, saving myself for the BBCHM 3rd July. I'll be upset if I have to miss that, or even jog it. There are a few others I've either entered or would like to, but we'll see how it goes.

Do you have any races built in to your RWM training schedule?

21 to 40 of 463 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.