Rutland Water Marathon

81 to 100 of 463 messages
05/07/2010 at 20:49
do you think regular road trainers will do or trail ones?
06/07/2010 at 10:00
I think they said normal trainers. Their reply was on another Rutland water thread on the forum somewhere.
06/07/2010 at 16:56
Thanks Sarah!
06/07/2010 at 17:14
Are you going to enter?
06/07/2010 at 21:52

Another thread - how dare they !

Not got my entry in yet, must get round to it.

Ian - how was DDC for you ?  Looks like you came in a few mins before me, I came in 17 at 7.17.  Had thought it may be a bit faster before the event but given the terrain in places was almost unrunnable (esp. when trying to navigate and with a pack) I was pretty happy with this.  Glad it was Sat and not Sun as cloud cover for much of the time was definitely a blessing, also that bit of a breeze on the tops was probably a life saver !  Not sure quich a final checkpoint was great running fuel but boy did it taste good...

SG - sure I've seen you on another forum before (Windy / SNOD / Abingdon ?)

07/07/2010 at 08:37
Hi Wharfy - i found DDC very hard going this year, but like you, was very pleased that the cloud helped keep the temperature down. It is certainly a well organised event and the food stops are very welcome. Glad you had a good day too
07/07/2010 at 09:05
Well done both of you for the DOC.

Think the other thread was just race details.

Wharfy, I've been on the Dublin one for last year and one of the London ones for last year, but not any other marathons ones. Yep get entered

I need to start building my training again, but have gone and hurt my foot, so will probably be another week or so now, grrr!
09/07/2010 at 17:46

Yes.  i'm going to to enter.  i'm actually going to head down to rutland the week after next to check out the setting.  Am thinking of havng a cycle round to check out the full thing.  Once satsfied its not too off road i'll pay my fee.

09/07/2010 at 17:47
Hope you foot is on the mend
09/07/2010 at 20:46

Thanks Lanky-liz. It seems ok but haven't tried running or wearing my proper orthotics. Am doing a 5k tomorrow so will see how it goes.

That's a good idea. Can you report back? I've entered but would be good to know for preparation.

14/07/2010 at 13:41

Hi all, I've just entered this, it'll be my first trail marathon, altho note the comments that some of it is on tarmac. it sounds like a beautiful course, so am really looking forward to it. Nearer the time I'll need some ideas from those of you who are local as to where to stay.

Wharfy - I'm not far from you, over in Cowling, I run round Ilkley/Addingham quite regularly.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

14/07/2010 at 14:14
Welcome to the thread Amanda. I've had a bit of an extended break since my last marathon, but am looking to start increasing my mileage again now.
XB
14/07/2010 at 20:54

Hi Amanda

I used to live in Lothersdale

I'm convinced that I entered for this and paid online but I've not got confirmation. How do I know that my entry has been recieved and accepted?

14/07/2010 at 21:20

You should have had an email confirmation within 24 hrs (from Fat Feet, no subject) - do you have evidence of your end of the transaction (bank/credit card statement, paypal emails, cheque stub)?

If you contact them through the Fat Feet site with all your details I would hope they'd confirm for you. Good luck!

15/07/2010 at 08:13

Hi All,

On the verge of signing up to this after doing London earlier this year and not doing nearly as well as I'd have liked.

Lanky-Liz - Have you been for your look around Rutland yet? Wondered if you'd got any feedback at all?

15/07/2010 at 21:38

Hi,

Not been on here for a bit.  Not running at moment - determined to sort out achilles so am doing x training and cycling. 

SG - not done any of those so must be my mind playing tricks..

LL - yes, feedback eagerly awaited !!

AS - welcome, personally I am thinking this is not too far to drive there and back but missus may pursuade me to stay.

19/07/2010 at 14:38
I am also signed up for this one. Ran Edinburgh earlier this year and I have some unfinished business with the 'marathon.'

I signed up pretty quickly after Edinburgh to get something in the diary to go for. Timing I'd like to get sub 4hr...
19/07/2010 at 19:04

Hi Neil, I also did Edinburgh this May. Can sympathise with you, as my training suggested I might be on for a PB, but the heat got to me and I nearly managed a PW

20/07/2010 at 09:20
Amanda, the same thing happened with me with Riga. Sounds like a few of us have unfinished business.
20/07/2010 at 11:39

I'll be doing this, must get around to entered.

Last weekend I ran around RW with a friend, We went around and did the penunsula which measure 22 miles in total, not sure where the other 4 miles will come from.

Anyway, to answer Q on hillyness, shoes etc.  I wore road shoes, they were fine, even in the winter road shoes will be OK but I would prob wear old-ish ones that I didnt mind getting dirty as some was through wooded areas and if there has been rain then the would get dirty!!

Assuming the route is going to be the 22 miles we did plus another 4 from somewhere then it is def not a PB course.  My friend was training for L50 and wanted to walk all the hlls, we had quite a lot of walk breaks! We also walked a flat bit cos he was tired, that was prob for a few mins.  I think there was one proper steep hill (when I cycled it many years ago  most people, but not me, walked with their bikes).  The other hills are more shallow and not too long, prob 2-5mins walking for each of them

We were plodding around slowly, around 10-10.30mm when running but with the walking bits our overall av pace was 11.44. 

To compare it to a few races as we all rate hills differently depending on what we are used to.

It is hillier than Ashby 20, strafford 20, shakespeare marathon, IOM marathon, I class all of these as hilly but RW is hillier

hope this helps

81 to 100 of 463 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.