Rutland Water Marathon

141 to 160 of 463 messages
17/08/2010 at 12:07
Have a great run, Joanna and I'm not fast either. I do most of my long or easy runs at that pace
17/08/2010 at 16:56

Hello all, organiser here.

Its only just been confirmed as a 9.00am start. An early start yes but Anglian water initially wanted it to start at 8.00am to have as little impact on the Cycle route as possible. Also on Nov 7th the sun will set around 4.30pm and as we have a 7 hour cut off time for the slower runners a 9.00am start is the way it has to be.

The route is stated as undulating on the website but is nothing more than that. I've read a few exagerations on here that suggest lake district type hills. Well it simply isn't true. The route is beautiful, on a mixture of terrain which is all hard surface (tarmac/trail) and the biggest hill (at around the 22 mile point) is a 30 meter incline over a distance of 300-400 meters with the rest just being regular undulations throughout. Hardly everest. (see below for elevation profile)

There is a map on the website if you wanna see the route.

Anyway its looking popular. We have around 450 entrants so far and I think I'll cut off the entry at around 700-750 as its a first event,.. hope to see you there. 

If your PB chasing I would probably suggest entering another race as the undulations are not what you want to see. If you want a marathon thats a bit different from the norm then give it a go.

Catch ya later.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/290169/Gallery/rutland_route_elelevation_3.jpg

17/08/2010 at 17:46

Hi and thanks for posting, it's much appreciated.

Any details on frequency of loos as I get the impression from a few people who did Brighton that they needed a break mid run.

17/08/2010 at 17:54
Hi Fat Feet - looking forward to this. My three previous marathons have been big city events so "a bit different" is just what I was looking for! Should I expect to see an entry confirmation e-mail (beyond the Paypal one)?
17/08/2010 at 18:01
If you have a receipt saying you've paid for the event from Pay Pal then we have your details.
17/08/2010 at 18:03
No details on loos yet.
17/08/2010 at 19:30
Just back from running the Hambleton Penninsula - very unsure as although I live nearby in Oakham, I've never run this route.  Absolutely stunning route!!  More hilly than I thought it would be but then I'm a novice marathoner so I guess I just need to train more.  The worst bit for me was the number of cattle grids...bit of a pace breaker!  Lots of sheep and rabbits, Rutland Water was sparkling and the scenery always changing.  Combination of gravel & tarmac surfaces - it had rained about an hour earlier so I was a little scared of slipping on the downhills but again that probably shows my inexperience.
17/08/2010 at 20:43
sounds lovely! much bigger field than i expected and its still early doors! im only in warks so not too far away so will probably take the family over for a bit of cycling before the end of the school holidays to see what its like!
17/08/2010 at 20:48

I'm in

Couple of hours' drive for me so will mean an early start but that's ok

18/08/2010 at 09:38
Joanna, scenery sounds great and just what I need for a change.
18/08/2010 at 12:51
Sarah & others: I'm not exaggerating about the scenery, it really is lovely...almost enough to take my mind off the undulating path!   The paths are constantly changing - open views of Rutland Water, enclosed wooded areas, fern pathways, views across fields, views across to Edith Weston Boat Club, rabbits, lots of sheep.  Long winding sections as well some good straights that are flatter and I could get my speed up a bit.  Hambleton has some spectacularly lovely houses to gawp at along the way too!  It's a nice little hamlet with a great pub/restaurant (The Finches) for family and friends and post race bevvy!  But be warned: book a table ahead of time!!  I'll try to take some photos of some of the paths/views etc. and will check out the rest of the route too - will post all on my blog http://www.joannasayers.com too. 
18/08/2010 at 12:55
Thanks for the info, Joanna. I knew there was a reason why I entered this. Sounds beautiful. Will check out your blog.
22/08/2010 at 15:02

Ran the penninsula again today ... maybe it's just my inexperience but I'm really worried that I've picked a wrong'un!  It's a hard run for me - although I did stop to take photos along the way - and it took me an hour .. the thought of doing it twice (as per route map) fills me with dread.  I'll concentrate most of my training up there now with xtraining at the gym ... & lots of hill work.  The final hill at 22 miles will be a killer.  Great if you're an ultra runner but I entered coz it was on my doorstep & I'm stupidly enthusiastic and now I'm having more than a few second thoughts.  For anyone interested, I hope to have the photos of today's run up on my website by tomorrow. (www.joannasayers.com)

23/08/2010 at 16:47
I haven't run a full marathon since the start of the year and have been concentrating on halfs recently but this is really tempting.  I remember going up there a few times when I was a kid as it was pretty local so appreciate it will be a nice course to run.  The only thing putting me off is that I'm probably going on holiday at the end of September and not sure I really want to be training that hard.  Decisions, decisions.....
23/08/2010 at 20:00
Was planning to drive up on the day but now thinking about staying over.  Have found a really nice looking (and reasonably priced) place in Cottesmore - the TIthe Barn.  Just trying to see if I can find something a bit nearer that I prefer.  Not found anything yet!
24/08/2010 at 10:12
I might think about this, I want to do a stand alone mara next year as opposed to another iron man. I know Rutland quite well as I did all my cycle training tee and I've done the Dambuster a few times. Have to be next year though but I might come up and support this years race. Good luck to all. Hi Kaz, long time no see huh?
24/08/2010 at 12:48

Hi All, just back from my honeymoon and fresh and ready to crank up the training!

Started out with a 5 miler this morning - probably try and get in 30 miles this week to get things moving!

24/08/2010 at 13:47
Hey Lee, how's things?
24/08/2010 at 18:17
I'm ok Kaz thanks, did the outlaw a few weeks ago so the post race blues have set in. Me and NGL are looking for a mara to do next year. He wants to go sub 3.30 but I'll be happy with sub 4 hours (I'm not a spring chicken you know!!!) How's things with you? I saw Min at the outlaw but not caught up with anyone else for ages.
24/08/2010 at 19:04

Heard you'd done Outlaw (was away with Mouse that weekend) - so much for never doing another IM then hey?!

Plenty of maras out there to get a good time on so hopefully you'll get your times.

Things bit up and down here -have been distincty lacking in mojo for some time now and seem to lurch from one injury to another.  Had been relatively injury free for a while but have now got a foot prob.  Just what I need with 7 marathons and a half in the next 10 weeks .  

Did Faversham marathon a few weeks back.  40 laps round a recreation ground.  Amazingly, it was a cracking good race.  Fastest of the year (though still woefully slow) and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Now if only they could all be like that!

141 to 160 of 463 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.