Rutland Water Marathon

81 to 90 of 90 messages
07/11/2011 at 13:03

Absolutely blew up in the last 6miles, managed a 3:48 in the end, but those ups n downs dented my confidence a bit. Found it tougher than i expected. But as stated it wasn't a real 'Hilly' mara.

I was the guy in the Lliswerry / Newport vest crawling to the finsih line, walking far too much!!!

07/11/2011 at 14:30

I had 2 aims - sub 4 and to run all the way and I did both (3:33 with the last 5 miles being tough but 30 minutes better than last year)

I really like the event as it is hard work but my 'scamper' up the hills technique which I have been working on seemed to work well

Wind was a bit cool at the start but soon warmed up and then just tried to keep going and plod it out

Will look to do it again next year and knock a  few more minutes off if I can

07/11/2011 at 16:11

My first time at Rutland and thought it was a cracking marathon. No massive hills but plenty of ups and downs. I knew this was going to be a plod for me as the old legs still had the previous week's Snowdonia marathon in them but the slower pace gave me more time to enjoy the views.

07/11/2011 at 19:56

Great marathon, wonderfully 'low key'.  Fantastic scenery, the undulating profile kept it interesting and the cattle grids added more variety still.  The last 6 miles exposed the lack of runs over 20 miles in my build up but hit my goal of sub 4 HRS by just 4 mins.  Only observation would be that given the unusually clement weather one more drink station toward the end of the course would have been welcome (or I should have carried a bottle!).

Superb support all the way round, good organisation, on my list for next year.

08/11/2011 at 08:58
Hey everyone, just letting you know that photos are up: http://bit.ly/vCLBZL

It looks like it was a great day, the runners all look so happy! How do you do it?!?
08/11/2011 at 11:27

Wow, what an incredible location!  This was my 4th marathon having done 3 Londons in the past and it couldn't be any more removed from the hustle and bustle of the nation's capital. I loved the tranquil setting and the stunning scenery plus the organisation was brilliant and the support uplifting.

The only moan to echo others, was the position of the 24 mile maker.  That nearly finished off my soul thinking there was another half mile on top of what my garmin had measured.  Hearing the music of the finish line spurred me on though.

I was pleased to get round by running the whole stretch (except for a couple of inclines in the last couple of miles) and delighted with a time of 4:31 too.

Thank you to Fat Feet for putting on a great event and I will be entering some more of your challenges next year.

18/11/2011 at 02:09

A nice scenic one. I chose this one as it was by the same organisers as Grimsthorpe, & thought it would be an interesting one that respected the slower runners. (Getting greeted by the organiser on the finish line, medal in hand, was a nice touch for us slow buggers.....)

Quite a tough one, especially after back to back marathons every week for 3 months...... Fairly hilly throughout. But good course, & far more interesting than plodding round a big city road marathon.

No water left at the 12 mile drink station, so got a bit dehydrated. Water in bottles would be helpful.

I made it a bit short....??

I'll be back for the Grimsthorpe 70 & half marathon in July.

22/10/2012 at 13:12

Ohhhhh -  I see the words hilly 

How hilly is it and where are the biggest hills - start or finish -  from the organizers website it says undulating - helpppppppp

I am now feeling a little scared

22/10/2012 at 13:50
There is a profile on the website. The worst 'undulation' is at around 21miles.

There are cattle grids which take a bit of mastering or gates by the side if you're happier to slow down. Most of the gates were held open by volunteers towards the beginning.

Last 18miler done yesterday. I'm looking forward to it now. Much better prepared than last two years.
Doner Kebab    pirate
22/10/2012 at 15:41
It's not really hilly, nothing you need to walk up, in fact if you are used to running in the peak or lake districts you would describe it as flattish

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 90 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.