SaabSalomon Turbo-X Trails, Poppyhill

101 to 120 of 182 messages
26/09/2008 at 08:39

Hi,

Has anyone an update on the state of the course?  If there are just a couple of muddy puddles with mainly flattish hilly trails, I will probably go for some simple trail shoes. If it is knee high bog and mud throughout the course I will use something a bit more robust like my fell shoes. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

runalot

26/09/2008 at 13:47
I was running there on Sunday.....hardly any puddles at all - trail shoes will be overkill I feel...I would be surprised if they find any real boggy stuff. I wear road shoes in all weathers in the woods there....
26/09/2008 at 13:51

As far as wearing a Garmin - I struggle to get good GPS tracking in Swinley/Sandhurst woods - so have to rely on footpod......

26/09/2008 at 14:52

Thanks Andrew,

But have you seen Mike Gratton messages above (posted on the 1/9). He seems to suggest that there will be lots of mud and bog in the second half- Are you both talking about the same course?

Cheers

26/09/2008 at 16:30
I am - but not sure where he has found it - if its in the firing range....then I don't make a habit of running in there.....
26/09/2008 at 18:11
Does that mean that trail shoes would not be a good idea?  I just bought a pair!
26/09/2008 at 18:40
I'm sure the muck will be there might bring my own Hey Leisa I would not waste a new pair of trail shoes on an event like this!! they will never be the same again I'm just wareing my old road shoes then binning them afterwards as with my shorts and socks .  only a few days looks like then weather is going to be nice as well happy days
27/09/2008 at 07:43
Help missed the entry deadline.  Anyone know someone who has dropped out and I will buy their entry off them or is this a big no, no?  I'll be honest and upfront.
27/09/2008 at 09:19
I think muttly2 has dropped out you could try and see if he wants to get rid of his entry .good luck all
27/09/2008 at 12:57
I'm off down to try and get a route preview this afternoon - the dogs will snff out any mud or water at 500m range..... I shalln't be running far though saving myself! Weather is fantastic - was very misty this morning so expect more of the same.
Edited: 27/09/2008 at 12:58
27/09/2008 at 15:12

OK, is anyone going to have to tape their shoes to their feet?  I heard that we should do that but it sounds quite extreme.  I am going to wear old shoes now but I have never worn them running before.

27/09/2008 at 16:20
just don't double knot them if they have laces or you will never get them off !! have a good race
27/09/2008 at 16:27
Many thanks 'can't keep up', I have left a message for Mutley 2.  I have never run one of these before but sounds too good to miss, especially on such a beautiful week-end.
27/09/2008 at 17:16
Well at least you didn't leave it to the last minuite to decide .
27/09/2008 at 17:39
Well I went for a short venture into the self same woods - there are lots of nice dry bits, and some very gooey muddy bits....the dogs took quite a lot of hosepipe work to get clean..... see you all tomorrow. Managed to trip and nearly break my neck, and now have very sore hamstring.....ouch!
27/09/2008 at 17:56

Well good luck to everyone!  See you there.  Let us know how you get on after the event - if everyone survives or not.

27/09/2008 at 17:58
oh beeeeeeeeeeeeeee carefull out there !! gooey mud fantastic i'm going to be slip sliding away . have a nice hot bath Andrew and fingers crossed it will all be better in the morning  . hope you all have good safe runs
27/09/2008 at 22:15
I marshalled at the Extreme Terrain Festival today which was at Hawley Lake, near Blackwater/Camberley not a million miles from the Swinley forrest and it was very foggy.  The fog only just cleared for the 10.30am start for the swimming part of the triathlon.  I hope it's not to foggy for the Turbo - X tomorrow.  I have a head torch, should I bring it ?  It was very foggy in the forrest around the lake for the 10km runners who started at 8.30am.  However, here's hoping it's clear for us by the 10am start.  I'm wearing Brooks Glycerin 6 running shoes which I wear when I'm training cross country.   Good luck all !
27/09/2008 at 22:20
No need for torch - I live just on the outskirts of the woods and it was plenty clear enogh by 10am
27/09/2008 at 23:16

Odds teeth !

I've borrowed a mates number - before having realised the enormity  of the challenge, sheeeeeeyyyiiitt !

- fairweather running is my style, nice an' gentile, a little rain if nec., but waist deept mud............ooOOpps!

Oh well, Swinley Forest here we come ................did Medmeham 10 miler last Sunday, twas a pleasure!

101 to 120 of 182 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.