SaabSalomon Turbo-X Trails, Poppyhill

1 to 20 of 182 messages
03/04/2008 at 16:32
Well, I'm game for a laugh, so this sounds spot on. The free tech tee swung for me though. Any one else up for it?
29/04/2008 at 07:17
I am - missed it last year as was away - did it year before - I run in those woods all the time (well some of the route is in the firing range so not that bit obviously)!
05/05/2008 at 15:08
Good o. Shame u cant run through the shooting range though. I imagine it would takes minutes off of your PB!
09/05/2008 at 18:22
This will be slightly different - and harder - than last years Poppyhill run since it has joined the ranks of the Turbo X series - so there will be an additional mile or so of rougher, and depending on the kind of summer we have,  wetter and muddier running, through the Turbo X challenge zone.....
10/05/2008 at 13:54
Sounds good Mike. Keep up the hard work.
12/05/2008 at 09:08
Me and the dogs ran through that bit yesterday morning.....
12/05/2008 at 12:43
Ah a born survivor. Nice to get in somewhere off the norm isn't it.
12/05/2008 at 15:45
its not normally 27degrees on a trail run over here though.....poor dogs in their fur coats.....
27/05/2008 at 16:56
If its as good as the Turbo X at Martinique I can't wait.  That one was brilliant even for a slowbie at the back like me
28/05/2008 at 17:51

Too true, Lazybones - I've never done anything like the Martinique before, but I'm hooked now.

Something about the hills, the mud, the water, the pong  ... probably only bog-snorkelling comes close.

One piece of advice for other newbies - don't wear anything white.  I learned that the hard way...   

01/06/2008 at 20:12
Footslog, I guess we will have to meet at HELLRUN then. It's just up the road from Martinique and slightly muddier. Steeper, and hillier. Right up our street mate.
Just done the Seaford half marathon today, and cant beleive their hills!!!! I'm totally shot at the mo. My hammies are strung to say the least. Great run.
See ya.
19/06/2008 at 12:00
I too am doing this event, looking forward to it as i like the trail, off road side of things having previously done nearly all my running on the road. This event is a bit of fun in prep for Beachy Head Marathon in Oct.
19/06/2008 at 15:28

Hey Muttley 2, didn't catch your post until now.  A couple of people mentioned Hellrun to me at Martinique, but I dunno anything about it. Sounds proper hard core though... Poppyhill may be more hills than mud, but it 'll still be a laugh if as well-run as Martinique (though my calf muscles will say different afterwards!).

Mr Immune - if the Beachy Head marathon route goes straight up the cliff from the beach, I think this run might be ideal preparation!  

20/06/2008 at 13:45
Hi Footslog. The thing with hellrun is it's meant to be fun. Some people dress up in funny gear I.e last year we had angels and fairies and even a couple who just got married running in their wedding oufits along with bridesmaids and a vicar! The ones at the front take it more serious and for them the course is quite hard. For us at the back it's all about jumping in puddles up to your kneees and swimming in bogs. You pays your money, you makes your choice.
23/06/2008 at 14:32

Thanks Footslog - I will pack my crampons just in case.

Muttley 2 - Jumping in puddles and swimming in bogs = mucho fun

16/07/2008 at 12:01

Hi all what shoe would you recommend for this course:-

old road shoes or new trail shoes.....

20/07/2008 at 11:59

depends on the weather. would never recommend new shoes for this type of event. ran hell down south the last 2 years and managed to chuck both pairs of old shoes away after each event! however i suspect this will be less mud seen as it is in september. will probably enter as am also doing beachy head marathon

good luck nutters 

21/07/2008 at 14:44
I'd ditto that - Following Grim last year my trainers walked themselves to the bin - worth popping on an old pair and treating yourself to a new pair afterwards. I'm all signed up - haven't run an off road race this long before although I have done half marathons any training tips for it other than lots of running up and down muddy hills??!
21/07/2008 at 15:12
I find that you are better using non-trail shoes for these type of races - if you can do without the extra grip, the vented nature of road shoes allows the water to exit pretty quickly, whereas a semi-water tight trail shoe soon weighs about 1kg ! Almost tempted to drill holes in sole! Not sure where they will find that much mud and water in September - even with all the rain recenlty its pretty dry down there - even my 2 labs are struggling to find water!
01/08/2008 at 15:37
Is this a good event for ancient plodders? I've done Beachy Head 5 times (slowly and very slowly!) and it sounds as if it might be useful. It's alos right on my oorstep. Advice / suggestions welcome. How much mud is there anyway?
1 to 20 of 182 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.