Salclear Isle of Man Marathon & Half-Marathon

To run or not to run?

1 to 20 of 38 messages
09/02/2008 at 20:19

Anyone done this? What's the course and organisation like?

Pug

12/02/2008 at 20:00

Not done this before or know anything about it but thinking about entering.  Always wanted to go to the Isle of Man so this looks to be the perfect excuse.  I'm very slow and will just  plod along at the back. 

24/02/2008 at 09:45

I live in the Isle of Man but not done this race before, im thinking about entering this year.  

I think you should make a trip over here, its in a nice part of the island - im actually moving up there in the next couple of months..plus my new house has holiday accommodation if anyone fancys renting out while over ; )) 

24/02/2008 at 12:49

Pink Princess- I might be interested in your holiday accommodation - thanks.  I'll probably e-mail you for more details .

24/02/2008 at 16:53

Yeah drop me an email and ill forward you a link to the website if your interested. 

Be warned...the Isle of Man is very hilly!!

24/02/2008 at 22:42

Errr... how hilly???  

Or rather - how hilly is the course?  There is a map on the site but it doesnt mean much to me! 

Depending on your answer the next question might be - how long is the course open for??  I dont mind being last so long as the finish line is stll open for me!   Hubby will be doing it anyway - he likes hills but I might do the half if its really tough.  Doing FLM as well as the South Downs so I'll either be fit or finished off by August.

26/02/2008 at 21:30

Ive not looked at the course but i know it wont be easy as the north of the island is the nicest (i think anyway)..loads of long windy roads, mountains etc..

You'll be fine, ive checked out past times for the race..heres the website of the club that runs it if you want some more info http://iomvac.co.uk

Or you could always come over for the 'Parish walk'...85 miles!!

27/02/2008 at 18:26

Thanks Princess - I can do it in under 6 hours   Just!

So see you there  - it says the course is undulating/flat - doesnt sound tooooo bad.

Should be fun

03/03/2008 at 15:33

hi yall,

am wanting to do this run, but it depends if i have the job on the island by then, keep you all posted

03/03/2008 at 18:38
I'm hoping to run this again this year, really well organised friendly race, one of my favourite marathons
17/03/2008 at 00:12

i ran the half two years ago which is the same cource but 1 loop instead of two, their are hills but nothing horrendous although a Pb would be tough, its not impossible. 

As i remember (this may be wrong) you start on the flat for about a mile, then climb a couple of undulations (depending on what you class as a bump/hill), then their is a big climb upto about half way/9mile point, then its all a steady down hill.  (pug i would compare it to helsby with regards to hills but more geographically ideal for running, its a cource marshallini would probably like).

This race i have very good memories off and is up their with the best. Great orgaisation, excellent value for money and the warmth/freindliness of both the organisers and other competitors.  it is a real hidden jewl and can uderstand why it has a strong loyal following.

while i haven't decided on my summer jolleys quite yet, this is in the mix.  Especially if i can cadge a lift pug.

p.s. i have nothing to do with the race honest

17/03/2008 at 19:04

carrot top - well said.   The hill is at about 4 miles and again at 17ish miles.

Then there's the free buffet for runners at the finish

17/03/2008 at 21:23
Also planning to do the full. Should be a novelty as I've never been to the IOM before.
06/04/2008 at 21:42
is the full marathon one lap? i coulnt handle 2!! thanks
08/04/2008 at 11:45
Jemma - 2 laps for the full
28/04/2008 at 13:49
Any suggestions on the best form of travel to get over and back? is flying the smarter option
30/04/2008 at 16:31

TG - Depends how long you're going to stay over.   I try and visit for a week so take my car over on the ferry from Liverpool.  

I believe the price for foot passengers on the ferry is very reasonable and if you're only going for the race the ferry docks at Douglas and there's a free bus from Douglas to the race on Sunday (and back again).

30/04/2008 at 21:47
Thinking about doing this one. Will literally be a flying visit, with a two night stay. I'll need to look at logistics first but am interested at this stage.
01/05/2008 at 08:12
Kevin - I posted re IOM on the Shades thread
01/05/2008 at 12:11
I did the Shakespeare Marathon on Sunday, can anybody say how the course compares? I ran 3.18 on Sunday and need under 3.15 for a GFA for London so need a course that is not too hilly.
1 to 20 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.