Scenic marathon?

Where are the best scenic marathons

19 messages
21/02/2008 at 10:18

Hi

I would like to attempt my first marathon this year.  I would like to do it somewhere where the scenery is very beautiful.

Can you please recomend good marathons in lovely places that won't be too much of a killer for a first timer.

thanks

JPenno    pirate
21/02/2008 at 10:23
Not done either but i believe Loch Ness and Beachy Head both get rave reviews
21/02/2008 at 10:46

Have to endorse the Beachy Head, but also the South Downs and Windmill marathons, if you live in the South East and want "countryside".

Monaco is pretty spectacular as well, as you come down off the mountain from Monte Carlo into Italy.

And Barcelona has the fab "Gaudi" architecture throughout the first half, and Paris has the best sights - the Tuilerie Gardens, the Louvre, Le Tour Eiffel etc. 

21/02/2008 at 15:34

A vote for Loch Ness (ok, I'm biased) and although I've not run it, I've been up around the Cape Wrath area, and it couldn't NOT be scenic.

Snoop - is Monaco a very downhill marathon then?

PloddingOn    pirate
21/02/2008 at 15:41

I was going to do Loch Ness.

In fact, am still thinking about it.  Heard absolutely amazing things about and I have a family member who lives near the start who says its gorgeous as well.  Plus it's in October so you have plenty of training time too! 

21/02/2008 at 16:29

White Peak

nuff said

22/02/2008 at 08:32

Hi, Nessie

Monaco's marathon runs through three countries, starting with a 10k tour of Monte Carlo, then heading out along the Riviera coastal road on the side of the mountain, before dropping down via the beautiful coastal resort of Menton into Italy near Ventimiglia - one of the best I've done. 

22/02/2008 at 09:05

I vote for Loch Ness too.

There is also Lochaber (April)

But I think the best one is going to be the Hebridean 2 marathon Challenge at the end of May on Lewis and Harris. (You do not have to do both, but can do one or the other).

22/02/2008 at 09:28

thanks they all sound great - why do they have to be at such far flung reaches!! Still will definately try to do some. 

Do you know if the midgies are out in force for the loch ness one??

22/02/2008 at 12:55
Erm, she did say she didn't want a killer... I've heard Beachy is rather tough...
jellybabe (M.)    pirate
22/02/2008 at 13:00

Loch Ness

and the midnight sun mara in Norway 

22/02/2008 at 13:18
Thanks Rowan , I've been wondering myself how tough all these lovely suggestons might be.  I suspect you are all seasoned marathon runners who  probably can't remeber your first marathon.
22/02/2008 at 13:41

Every marathon's brilliant when you pass over the finish line.

Even Battersea Park's old course (26.2 laps of one mile) was qute scenic but it began to pall after the first hour. The Sutton Park (Birmingham) 50k was similar - 10 laps of 5k . 

22/02/2008 at 13:47

Only have a limited experience of marathons thus far (three FLMs, Five2Go and Beachy Head) but I can safely say that Beachy has to be up there when it comes to fantastic scenery.   Course to get the views the terrain is somewhat challenging and if the weather is inclement I can imagine it would be a pretty hostile environment.  I suspect tho' that the same can be said for a lot of scenic marathons.

The thing with Beachy is that it is tough but you're doing it for the experience, the camaraderie and the scenery rather than for a fast time.  I'd definitely recommend it.

22/02/2008 at 15:13

White Peak is pretty flat (and actually downhill overall!)

it's also not "far flung" being situated right in the middle of England for easy access to all!

it's off-road, on gravelly hard-packed well made trail

the scenery is stunning 

there's a beer tent at the finish 

I refuse to believe any of these others are better

22/02/2008 at 15:46

without wishing to get into a slanging match, BEACHY IS BEST.

Trestle tables at every water stop, just groaning under the weight of freshly baked buns 'n' cake, fruit direct from the market that morning, three pubs enroute selling Harveys Best, free meal at the end; why, there's even a tartan clad bagpiper up on the Downs (not sure why though) sending them on their way. 

and you don't have to go oop north to get there!

22/02/2008 at 17:49
O.k.  I accept that White Peak isn't far flung but living in deepest Devon everywhere seems a bit of a trek!!!  won't stop me though, you guys are doing a great job of selling these marathons - thanks muchly.  Like the sound of a beer tent!!
22/02/2008 at 18:36
Wow, Cape Wrath looks amazing, I've got to try that one day!
23/02/2008 at 12:47
I've never even seen any of Scotland apart from Edinburgh. That's it, it's officially on my list of 'To Dos'. Love the idea of all the social events too.

These forums have got a lot to answer for you know, my life is being transformed, I'm sure I wasn't originally this obsessed with running...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.