Sensitive runners collapsing

21 to 40 of 48 messages
01/10/2012 at 18:20

Anyone could have an un-known heart problem, which could be dormant. Take the Bolton Footballer who seems perfectly fit, but had a problem heart - which failed only once. Luckely, he survived, but retired from football.

I say, just do what you do, or have a check-up. I've seen runners collapse, all due to exhaustion, especially on track training, of all ages. Saw a kid at the track go sick after a speed session, and a late-teen runner trip over himself after loosing his footing. 

01/10/2012 at 18:51

Just after the LM this year there was an article in RW about heart conditions and running - haven't read it in full but it may be beneficial if you can find it on here?

There are lots of people as other have said, who have indiagnosed heart conditions as well - actually I often wonder if some people who undertake sports actually live longer than they may have done being a couch potato - no proof just me wondering.

In addition, accidents hapen - I was out running yesterday and ran past a RTA involving a motorbike; cyclist and car - I was fine and think they were all ok. but putting it in perspective helps. Not great confidence boost for me though - I use a motorbike for work as does my husband and son! LOL maybe I'll have to stick to running!

01/10/2012 at 18:59
If you want a simple statistic to put things into perspective, according to the London marathon website, just under 900,000 people have run the race since 1981. That's 23.6 million miles run. And 11 people have died during the event. Which gives an average of about one fatality per 2 million miles run.
01/10/2012 at 19:15

was the collapse at robin hood yesterday as my family said someone had collapsed in front of the line and 2 runners carried him over. what running is all about a little family who look out for each other. I always ask if people are ok and encouraging words to walkers as i know i like it on tough run

seren nos    pirate
01/10/2012 at 19:18

Crimson.....is your eldest always looking for logical answers to everything or is it just you that worries them.........

more young  people will die in car crashes than anything else

01/10/2012 at 20:00
Seren nos

He is always looking for answers to anything but very keen on definites and putting numbers on things.
02/10/2012 at 10:41

One thing I will say is that as a runner/fit person you are more likely to notice a heart defect before someone else as you will notice a drop off in your fitness more so than a couch potato.

I recently noticed that when I pushed it or did hills I was not recovering as fast afterwards as I was used to - thinking maybe I had a lung issue I went to Docs and had chest x-ray etc and no lung issues but he sent me for heart tests. To cut a long story short I have to have a heart scan tomorrow as there are potential issues with heart palpatations.

Moral here is as a runner if you notice a drop off in your fitness levels for no aparent reasons go see Doctor.

WiB
02/10/2012 at 11:04
killermiles wrote (see)

Anyone could have an un-known heart problem, which could be dormant. Take the Bolton Footballer who seems perfectly fit, but had a problem heart - which failed only once. Luckely, he survived, but retired from football.

I say, just do what you do, or have a check-up. I've seen runners collapse, all due to exhaustion, especially on track training, of all ages. Saw a kid at the track go sick after a speed session, and a late-teen runner trip over himself after loosing his footing. 

On the flip side check out Eddie Merckx (ignore the doping allegations and positive test for now!) who rode his careeer with a heart defect and did not die during any of his TdF victories. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/did-merckx-ride-with-potentially-lethal-heart-problem

WiB
02/10/2012 at 13:23

Having had a tachycardia episode on a HM just over a year ago and since, having had the whole gamut of tests to see if they could see what had caused it and any other underlying problems, I have read quite a large amount of medical research on the heart and sport and I would say that in the main sport does benefit your heart health. If you look at the 11 deaths over the years in the LM they are, apart from the guy who died from drinking too much water back in 2008 I think, divided into two types.  Younger athletes under 35 with congenital heart problems that have never shown before, and older runners who have suffered the classic heart attack caused by blocked coronary arteries.  Probably both groups will have suffered heart attacks at some point in the future but the marathon probably has brought them on sooner.

Because of the profile of heart health after the Fabrice Muamba incident all the Team GB athletes had to undergo extensive testing.  A large number of heart "electrical" problems were detected and two athletes were told they would have to undergo a procedure called ablation before they would be allowed to compete.

02/10/2012 at 15:58

Thanks for all the responses. We had a chat re all the stats and he seems happier now. He has now moved onto other things like Which is the busiest UK airport? Which is the busiest airport in the world? How many passengers per day, per year etc! Thanks goodnees for Google!

Hope that your heart tests go okay Bearsted Plodder.

02/10/2012 at 16:00

Cheers Crimson - not expecting anything serious but you never know

02/10/2012 at 20:28

Yes hope all goes well BP, let us know how it goes.

03/10/2012 at 09:17

Will do - not great with needles so not looking forward to it

03/10/2012 at 10:43

BP if it is an ECG and/or an echocardiogram there are no needles involved, the only thing you will feel will be the electrodes being pulled off your skin afterwards.

03/10/2012 at 17:56
JF50 - no already had that this is next stage. Actually back now and not happy!! Stupid Consultant forgot to put radioactive substance in me so after first part of test I sat there for 35 mins to be told could not go any further due to that error. So I had had a line put in which I hate for nothing. Not happy and now have to go back to have done again.
03/10/2012 at 18:10
JF50 wrote (see)

BP if it is an ECG and/or an echocardiogram there are no needles involved, the only thing you will feel will be the electrodes being pulled off your skin afterwards.

Bearsted Plodder wrote (see)
JF50 - no already had that this is next stage. Actually back now and not happy!! Stupid Consultant forgot to put radioactive substance in me so after first part of test I sat there for 35 mins to be told could not go any further due to that error. So I had had a line put in which I hate for nothing. Not happy and now have to go back to have done again.

What a nightmare for you. I would be furious especially given your aversion to needles. When do you have to go back?

03/10/2012 at 18:38
Have asked them to look at ultrasound they did last week first to make semi need to have these tests - so they contacting me tomorrow to set an appointment time if required and they promised me their best needle nurse next time
03/10/2012 at 19:56

Crimson - there was a paper published in the New England Journal of Medicine in January (Jan 12th issue - and available on-lineto non-subscribers if you want to look it up). Stated that of 10.9 million runners in the marathons and half-marathons they looked at, 59 had had cardiac arrests - that's 0.54 per 100000  -that is VERY RARE. Extrememly upsetting when it happens of course, but very unusual.

03/10/2012 at 20:08

Needles. Don't tense your muscles when they stick one in. Anyway if you don't like needles, try having 'Venous Sampling' like I did. 

03/10/2012 at 20:17
BP - in my experience a good needle nurse can make all the difference. Have to have regular blood tests (plus some irregular ones recently!) and now have my own personal vampire at the Drs surgery!

AM - Thanks for that. His interest has waned at present but think it is because he is processing it so expecting more questions anytime! Especially helpful as link refers to full and Half Marathon runners.

21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.