Serpentine Running Club/ Runners World Last Friday Of The Month 5K

21 to 36 of 36 messages
25/06/2004 at 10:36
David, will you be taking pictures today? If so can you pleeeeeease take a decent picture of number 103. After every race he drives me mad look for a picture of himself. You took one of him last month when he had his head down looking at his watch. Thanks.
25/06/2004 at 10:56
Sue - I'll try my best! Runners looking at their watch are the bane of my life.

I'm in the Dell cafe at the moment. Weather is good, gentle breeze and diffused sunlight. The north part of the course is bordered by the temporary concert venue so less chance of going off route.

Good luck everyone and see you soon!

David
25/06/2004 at 11:01
Thanks David, he's a bit sad in that way but it really would brighten up his year, oops, sorry, meant day :)

Enjoy it everyone.

Sue
25/06/2004 at 14:52
Sue et al

Results up on the website now. Photos to follow. I missed Alan on the finish line as someone walked across me. Next month?

David
25/06/2004 at 16:48
Photos up now.

Would be good to get feedback on this month's race. Good or bad.

Thanks

David
25/06/2004 at 16:53
Good! Didn't get lost and found my marshal spot. Or did you mean feedback from the runners?

Lars

ps: For the next 8 days I can't be nice to you ;-)
NTL
25/06/2004 at 16:59
Hi David,

Course was fine, seemed to be more than plenty of marshals on the course and of course we all had going under the bridge on our minds !

Not sure if I will be doing this again for a while, next month I will be doing the Wedding Day 7K on the same day, August will be on holiday and September may be a bit close to the Kingston marathon.

Enjoyed today, remains a good event and thank for all your efforts with the organisation and photography.

OO
25/06/2004 at 17:07
Lars - of course I meant the runners! 8 days? You mean the committee elections? Anyway, since when have you been nice to me?

OO - thanks for the feedback, see you when we can, just stop looking at that watch! I'm lucky enough to only get to do the fun bits of the organisation. Malcolm French does all the hard slog and all those poor marshals have to wear those silly bibs in the hot weather (except Lars who deserves it).
25/06/2004 at 22:50
David - race was (a) great: lots of marshals and never in doubt as to the route (b) horrid - I hate 5ks. but did a pb. Ran with Ben for a couple of K; lovely chap. Thank you for photo of me - I'll order it properly next week. I have one of you hunched over your laptop! I'm up for marshalling next month.
26/06/2004 at 04:43
UM - congrats on pb. It's not allowed to take pictures of me!
26/06/2004 at 09:48
well, I got terrible pre-race nerves... and I was just marshalling!

Think I may have persuaded one spectator to enter next month - I showed him my map of the route and he said with some amazement "but that's my morning run, only I do two laps!" Turns out he thought running from the gate up to the police house, down to the Serpentine and round the lake, past the bandstand to the gate was a mile-long course - so the poor b*gger has been running 10k every morning thinking he was doing just 2 miles, and has never dared enter a race because he couldn't understand how people could do 5k/3.5 miles in 30 mins!! That made my day... :-)
26/06/2004 at 12:57
Lovely story, Snail - you must have made one runner very happy!
My report is now posted here
CR
26/06/2004 at 14:49
Ultra Meerkat

Well done to you and everyone else who did a PB yesterday!!!
Great pics and account of your race.

(Nice muscles Joe! :))
It was lovely to meet you all.
Thanx for marshalling, Snail!
Hope to see you soon.

CR XX
26/06/2004 at 16:23
For what it's worth, I thought the course and marshalling were both great.

Although there may be a few more undulations and the odd sharp corner, I definitely prefer the long downhill stretch with the wind near the finish, rather than going back the other way with a long uphill drag into the wind as we used to. Not that there was a great deal of wind yesterday. Of course, I'm conveniently forgetting about the short hill just before the finishing straight, but at least it's just a short one now.

And I suppose I've got to say I like it as I ran a PB too, a little surprisingly given the pace I had to run just to get to the start on time after a meeting over-ran. This work lark gets in the way of everything...

So Snail, that was you shouting "Sharp
left" somewhere in the 2nd kilometre - thought I recognised you (I used to be Smithers in a former incarnation) You're not doing Amsterdam again this year are you?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who marshalled, organised and so on. It's fantastic to have the opportunity to pop down from work for a race in the middle of London every month.
26/06/2004 at 17:45
fab report and pics, MK! Smithers (sorry, still going to call you that!), yep, that was indeed me - about 1.4k, by the old police station (at a sharp left turn!!!). You should have stopped and said hello... ;-)

I tried looking out for everyone but given my marshalling spot, everyone was still pretty bunched up at that point and it was quite difficult to spot people. Anyway, well done everyone!

ps - Smithers, I may be doing Amsterdam this year, not sure yet. Mr Snail has been called up by the TA, so will be in Iraq, and I'm a full-time student again, so I'm not sure about finances, teaching demands (I'll be teaching undergrads next term but don't have the timetable yet) and also whether I want to do Amsterdam without him when we both did it last year... :-(
28/06/2004 at 13:03
Told you David, OO never gets his picture taken and when you do try it still doesn't happen :( He wasn't a happy bunny, despite what he says :) But thanks for trying

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.