Shakespeare marathon

Shakespeare marathon

15 messages
26/09/2003 at 20:32
I am looking to do the shakespeare marathon next April, can anyone out there let me know what its like and if its the type of course to break personal bests on. Also is there a website with details of next years race....
26/09/2003 at 20:51
27/09/2003 at 09:41
Tony, I did this race last year. It is almost a two lap course, it does have quite a few hills, it starts at 1pm, which if its hot is a no-no. I normally run 3:30 but only managed 3:43. My advice if you are looking for a PB it will be difficult.
27/09/2003 at 10:02
I tried to run 3:30 and got 3:45, it was more the wind than the hills I thought.
Still a good course.
If you want a pb course try the Lake Vrynwy marathon early June (unless summer happens like it did this year).
27/09/2003 at 11:56
A good race/venue/organisation etc. but not for a pb. I found that it suddenly got very quiet when the Half Marathoners peeled off at 12 miles and that long straight 10K drag towards the finish seemed never ending.
BD
04/10/2003 at 10:44
Tony, I did this last April. It was my first and only full marathon (so far). I managed 3.59 and a bit, although I'd hoped for a bit faster based on running Bath Half in 1.44 a few weeks before. It had a couple of longish hills (on each lap), and the last six miles along the old tramway was quiet (looking hopefully into the distance for the next mile marker).
I thought it was a fantastically well-organised race, but I'd have thought there must be faster courses.
29/03/2010 at 23:20
how many water stations were on the course? im not sure whether i need to take my own drink with me
05/04/2010 at 18:07

I'm not sure if there is anoter thread on this marathon but according to the marathon website and in the news section:

"We received criticism over the amount of waste of energy drinks in our 2009 event. We have consulted with our Course Doctor and decided that we will only provide energy drinks on our full marathon at Drink Station 7 at Long Marston ( about 19.4 miles). The drink provided will be: High Five Carbohydrate drink mix with Electrolytes, Fresh Citrus Flavour, in 200 ML cups"

and under FAQ

"Drinks Stations are at approximately 2 mile intervals. Water will be available at all drinks stations either in bottles or cups. Isotonic drinks will be available at a Drink Station for the full marathon and the location will be provided under News on the website. Runners must accept that taking these drinks is entirely at their own discretion and as organisers we strongly advise that runners take medical advice before the event regarding the use of Isotonic drinks."

Incidentally the whole site has more disclaimers than an amercan law series

12/03/2011 at 11:34

If anyone has an entry that they dont need / cant use please let me know.

I try and run it every year in Shakespeare costume [since 2001] but have missed the boat this year!

cheers

Pete 

30/09/2011 at 15:11
I ran this last year early morning 10am start 2 laps with a PB. If any one is thinking of doing this, bloody go for it
30/09/2011 at 15:20

My bf has entered for this yesterday What time does it start then as Mark u said u ran early 10am yet at start of thread it said it starts at 1pm

also i may need to stand then where there are fewer spectators to give him a good cheer if you find any area hard let me know so i can stand and cheer him on

I love stratford so i'm looking forward to going and cheering if anyone else is doing it let me know and i'll cheer u on too

Jo

30/09/2011 at 15:31
Hannah, I think the gentleman is mistaken. I did run this April just gone. I have also completed an on line application which was successful. The race begins at 09.30am. I have ran a few races and never one started at 1pm. There are also a large number from PJC going up for a social weekend.
30/09/2011 at 15:43

The 1pm start was back in the "good" old days.  Much more civilised now!

Starts and finishes in the town centre with a lap of the town first so theres two chances to give a good send off and then see them finish.

Theres plenty of people en route to cheer him on.   

30/09/2011 at 21:11

Done it twice 2006 and this year, well organised great for family to support and see you half way etc, yes there is one hill on both laps but even thats not bad.

Great course, great day GO FOR IT!!!

Starts 1pm?? where did u get that from??? 9.30am start!

01/10/2011 at 11:14
It used to start early afternoons after a Shakespeare Birthday parade in town.  I can remember now sweltering on the start line just standing still !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.