Sheffield Lord Mayor's 10K

Anyone doing this?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
08/03/2005 at 22:14
I thought it was an alright course too given the slagging it got. Twists and turns not that bad and I liked the hill bits as they gave a chance to gain momentum. Could just have done with some markers and maybe a drink station, though I didnt feel the need myself. Will try and do it next year if im about
RJK
10/03/2005 at 17:21
The course was completely different to last year (where there were two laps and lots of running around odds turns to take up the slack).

I was well hacked off about the toilets. A huge queue for 4 cubicles on one side of the stadium, whilst a toilet with loads of cubicles and urinals was empty on the other side of the stadium - because it was unsignposted.

Also, the bouncers on the doors of the computer fair weren't there last year and were totally unnecessary.

Will there be bouncers stopping runners using the toilets for the half marathon I wonder?
10/03/2005 at 22:20
hope not. would have been nice organisers had informed them where the other toilets for the runners were so they could direct us. didnt have ne problems myself tho coz i got there early so had time to explore. is the half starting/finishing at don valley? whats the half marathon course like?
10/03/2005 at 22:34
how did people do v their time last year? I was 3 mins quicker and although fitter was surprised I went as fast as I did. Last year my garmin said it was 6.23m (I know others said longer) this year it said 5.87m. My garmin is eratic as when I run with others who are wearing them mine always gives a shorter distance. Is the course 'officially measured'? as I'm a bit worried it may have been under distance as my cousin was 2 mins quicker than last year he claims on less training.

cheers
RJK
14/03/2005 at 21:59
My Garmin measured 10km, almost exactly. But that's the first time I've raced in it, so I can't vouch for its accuracy!

Cakes, very roughly, the Half Marathon route is:

Don Valley -> Fitzallan Square -> Bramall Lane -> Ecclesall Road -> Hunter's Bar -> Ecclesall Road -> Devonshire Green -> Fitzallan Square -> Don Valley.
15/03/2005 at 16:52
Cheers RJK. It gets all the way out to devonshire green?!Mus be a fair amount of uphills to get to there from don valley. Just out of curiosity what's a garmin? I kep hearing people mentionnig them but dont know what the yare!
RJK
15/03/2005 at 20:22
Garmin is a runners watch that measures distance (allegedly accurately).

www.garmin.com

The course is "undulating" rather than hilly. You've got:

The sharp but short section from Sheaf Square to Fitzallan Sq (past Ponds Forge pool).

A nasty, sharp but relatively short pull up cemetary road to Summerfield street.

Over a mile along Ecclesall Road to Hunters Bar. Long but not steep, and then you get to come all the way back along it again!

A couple of sharp pulls as you negotiate your way from Moore Street to Devonshire Green.

Then : freewheel all the way back to Fitzallan Square.

I think for 13 miles across Sheffield, its quite tame!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.