Shrewsbury Marathon

21 to 40 of 181 messages
07/03/2013 at 17:47

I'd say that an udulating marathon is good for a first marathon.  And there is a 100 foot climb in it and a 70 foot climb (x4)    These are a challenge, but they are hardly a mountains.

Personally don't see a big problem with the hairpins either.  Not ideal, but I think there are only 2 per lap.

As has already been identified, I'm sure laps could be a mental challenge in one way, but a positive in another.  Not a bad course in my opinion.

07/03/2013 at 22:53
ETE - the down hills are pretty gentle, but not sure what to suggest about the feet situ other than use loads of vaso, it works for me.

yer_maj - no Clarement Bank is likely to be a tad unpleasant, but hey at least it's soon done with. Think the crowd might well gather at the top so perhaps the cheering might help a little!!

Run Wales - agree about the hairpins, should be ok.
24/03/2013 at 17:38

So I've had to resign myslf to pulling out of the MK marathon due to trapping my sciatic nerve and being out for a few weeks.(I have a final decision dat end of this week...)

Thinking of entering this one instead as gives me longer and is close to family. I know the course though which is putting me off, as not a fan of the undulating. However this will be my first marathon, so I guess means I can get a pb in my 2nd if I choose a flatter course! Was going to be aiminig for sub 4, but I guss I won't be on for this, but instead will try and disregard the time a bit and aim for completion.

Main thing that worries me is the fact its 4 laps, and also the lack of portaloos! Says there will be some at the start, but I know I'll worry throughout the course about this! 

Need to get some decent hill training in (once I can run again). Those will definitely hurt on the last lap....

Also, any idea on number of entries??

24/03/2013 at 21:00

runwiththewind..Immodium Instants

Going to give it a go..nice June day out, may not have snow by then

25/03/2013 at 09:28

Thanks Purc. Must try and get over to Salop for a recce!

Not entered yet but getting closer. 3 weeks training has gone well and even managed 12 miles yesterday, after 5 on Saturday, despite there being about 8 inches of snow and plenty of ice. It was a car dodge, running in the road and occasionally wading through the piles of snow! Looks like we`re ice-bound now for a bit so not sure where to head to for safe running.

27/03/2013 at 22:44

I've entered this, as my first whole marathon, I really hope the course isn't so bad, I didn't know, or think to find out what the route consisted of   (will have to find some hills to train on ). According to the website the event is now almost full! There doesn't appear to be many details on the website though, and i've received no emails so far from the organisers. It says that there's water stations, does this mean that theres no lucozade sport or energy gels given out at stations?  I can't see any mention about toilets on the route either. Would these things still be yet to be organised seeing as its still 86 days away? Good luck to everyone else running it!

30/03/2013 at 15:29
TheBluesBrothers wrote (see)

I've entered this, as my first whole marathon, I really hope the course isn't so bad, I didn't know, or think to find out what the route consisted of   (will have to find some hills to train on ). According to the website the event is now almost full! There doesn't appear to be many details on the website though, and i've received no emails so far from the organisers. It says that there's water stations, does this mean that theres no lucozade sport or energy gels given out at stations?  I can't see any mention about toilets on the route either. Would these things still be yet to be organised seeing as its still 86 days away? Good luck to everyone else running it!

Well that scared me into action! I`ve now entered.

31/03/2013 at 11:56
ETE - glad to hear you're all signed up, welcome to the party!!
31/03/2013 at 20:46
Cheers! Done 15 today. Happy enough tho it wasn't pretty. First 4 weeks if training have gone well but LDRs need some work!
01/04/2013 at 22:43

Purc72 did the race organisers reply to your questions about the Quarry? I'm signed up for the half.

14/04/2013 at 10:59
Hi all,done 2 laps of shrewsbury marathon course this morning (without going up and down the quarry) hardest part I think is the hill up to shrewsbury school and coming back down,the old legs will be wobbly
by the fourth lap!!!
14/04/2013 at 11:57

Nice one Paul! It`s not too bad though, is it? How long is the climb?

I`m up to 15 miles and training has  been perfect until this weekend . . .

14/04/2013 at 16:09
It's about a half mile climb,first bit steep but short then a gradual climb,but not to bad,like I say its the coming back down which would make your legs wobble! The coarse on the whole is pretty good,should be a few people about cos its all in town,quietest bit will be shrews school area
14/04/2013 at 16:56
Paul, I've also had a trip around the course - agree that the hill at Shrewsbury School will be the part of the course the legs get a little heavy. I'm looking to run two laps this or next week? About 2000 now signed up for either the full or half, so good numbers and I hope the crowd will come along to cheer us all on!!
14/04/2013 at 17:14
Yeah,I hope there's a good crowd cheering.it could well be a hot day to!! I did read they were thinking of changing some parts of the coarse?
15/04/2013 at 11:57

I have only heard that the route within the Quarry is still to be confirmed.

16/04/2013 at 13:50

Hi all!

I'll be running this after injury wiped out my attempt at Brighton last weekend.  I'm really looking forward to it, although I think 4 laps will be a real mental challenge. 

Does anyone know how big the race is? What are people's thoughts on it being a good PB course?

Look forward to seeing you all there!

16/04/2013 at 15:00
Hi ,how annoying about your injury! This marathon is quite hilly so probs won't get a pb,there are about 2000 entered,but the half marathon is on at same time,so don't quite know how its going to work! It's all in town so should be a good crowd.I'm sure it'll be fun!!
17/04/2013 at 17:20
The half marathon is starting half hour after the full
17/04/2013 at 18:03

I`d say it`s not a PB course too.

Didn`t know the HM started later. That`ll be interesting. If I`m looking at 4 hours then there shouldn`t be loads of folk coming past but enough to make it intersting!

21 to 40 of 181 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.