Shrewsbury Marathon

121 to 140 of 181 messages
22/06/2013 at 19:51

Everyone ready for tomorrow?  Good luck to everyone! 

22/06/2013 at 21:03

All race ready now, just need a good night sleep!

just been out and done a drive around town, cones everywhere, we may have to weave around them !!

frankwell car park is huge and approach from welsh side of town To avoid closed roads.

abbey Foregate car park will be open too but approach from motorway / English side of town, I will be parking here.

the town is easy to get around as bypass around it so can get from one side to other in 15 mins max using bypass.

i will be in quarry park from 8am and will have orange Adidas t on with SHREK on the back, be sure to say hello !

good luck everyone, look forward to the reports afterwards

22/06/2013 at 21:39

Carefull to go in the "main" Frankwell carpark as this is unrestricted whereas the riverside Frankwell is only up to 3 hrs.

23/06/2013 at 00:00

Thanks Shrek - I'm just back in Mold from a birthday party in Llangollen , I never sleep well day before a race anyway! My alarm will go off in 5 3/4 hrs for porridge. Hope to leave by 6:20 to get to Frankwell by 0730 . Yes Foz the main car park - which as folks say is the huge one ! Sleep well , sweet dreams.

I'll Br running in a Welsh dragon Vest number 2326 it's my 26th marathon, so I can dedicate a mile to all my previous !,, 

23/06/2013 at 05:56

Good morning all.

looks like its going to be a nice day for the race.

wrexhamrob, don't forget the .2 miles at the end 

26 maras, well done. I've done 2 and hope to do 10 by the time I'm 50 so just 8 to go !

see u all in the quarry very soon. Excited.Com now. Good ljack everyone

23/06/2013 at 05:57

0550hrs it's porridge o clock on marafun day. Hmm Tis fair bit of rain here in Mold. See you all soon . 

23/06/2013 at 14:21

Well that was fun 

fantastic run, very enjoyable and given my wonky knee a reasonable time, bang on my predicted time so happy.

some improvements for next year :

1. More marshals, I am local so knew the route but on some junctions there were no marshals and a bi. Confusing.

2. Keep pedestrians off the course  especially dog walkers.

3. The finish was no less than shambolic as this should be funnelled and runners only until clear of t shirts etc.

however overall a great race and will be there again next year.

23/06/2013 at 16:45

Pfft well disaster for me, had to give up just before 21 miles as I had been reduced to a slow shuffle.  Cross-training just doesn't cut it I guess.  Hope the rest of you got what you wanted.

25min wait, steep slopes, switchbacks, thousands of slow half-marathon runners in the way all didn't help.  They really need to get there act together if they are to do another one

23/06/2013 at 16:51

Sorry to hear that Keith, I ran the half marathon today on what I thought was a tough course, clocked a 1:23 and placed 21st, happy with that considering the course, the dodging and weaving between runners and the switchbacks.  Would I do it again?? probably not.  WrexhamRob, thanks for the shout, I was in the Deestriders vest.

Edited: 23/06/2013 at 16:51
23/06/2013 at 17:03

Great to be back in Shrewsbury for the first time In years after working at The Dana many moons ago.

I really enjoyed the race but a few improvements are definitely needed, a bit more imagination within The Quarry for a start, running up and down a very narrow funnel numerous times is one area that requires more imagination. 

Whoever put the cones down on the route obviosuly has a very high IQ level as the puzzle of which side to stay on got the better of me at times. Some areas of the route got very narrow and congested - at times there seemed to be more fun runners than actual trained mararhon runners, numerous people walking after 3 miles wasn't good especially when they hogged the narrow lanes. I wont even mention the amount of people zigzagging as they bopped to whatever was on their iPods.

More marshals are required as stated above.

Delayed start not good but it happens so not really overly concerned by that.

No display clock at the finish needs addressing as well.

Saying all that I did enjoy it, probably becuase i fot a pb, and it's nice to see Shrewsbury put something like this on.

Would I do it again - probably not but I would recommend that those who didn't do it give it a try especially if the organisers learn from the teething problems.

Edited: 23/06/2013 at 17:06
23/06/2013 at 17:57

I live in Shrewsbury and so had thankfully had time to practice on the route and managed to complete the half marathon in 1hr 59mins (which I'm really pleased with as currently 18 weeks pregnant!)

I've previously completed Bristol, Bleinham palace, Chester and Birmingham half marathons with a 1hr 43min PB and really hope the organisers for this race learn some lessons from these bigger races and change the course dramatically for next year.

I didn't mind the hills, quite enjoy them, but the narrowness and congestion in soooo many places around the course was ridiculous. I felt really sorry for the lead marathon runners and the cyclists trying to guide them through as their frustration was evident. The 3 lanes along the river was madness and runners still hadn't spread out much on the 2nd lap.

The finishing line was awful, and dangerous to those people who may have needed medical assistance but who would have got lost in the crowds. All they needed to do was put barriers up to keep supporters away until closer to the bridge and funnel the runners through to collect their bags, water etc.

Positives: Shrewsbury is a great running town and with a total change of course (wider), then even more runners could partake and enjoy. The medal and T-shirt were lovely, the people on the water stations (mainly volunteers I think) were fab and worked very hard to attempt to keep runners hydrated.

23/06/2013 at 18:09

Anyone know when and where official times and photographs will be posted?

23/06/2013 at 18:37

Keith, I understand your frustrations but don't blame othrun refers, we stick together.

slow, fast, fat or thin we are arun runners.

the issue was the course and this is what the organisers need to address, we should encourage more runners and not aim to put people comments regarding the slower runners.

23/06/2013 at 18:39

It was my second half marathon, I am not the fastest, I did Chester half in 1:51 I thought I was slower on this course, lots of slow people in my way & I tried to keep to one side but was near impossable, the hills are all part n parcel but I agree with the comment about the cones... it looked as if they were the cheaper option rather than Marshals the quarry zig zag was mindboggling.. then I just about got over the finish line before every one was waiting for medals n tshirts.

I think great venue, brill crowds in the town but needs to stretch the course out further next year. 

Now gotta wait 24 hours for official results too, I looked at my tracker and it said 1:54 so I am hoping for a PB..

23/06/2013 at 18:59
23/06/2013 at 19:14

Well done Shrek, Darren, Sara, craig, andy. Sorry to hear that keith. Rob?

Agree with the poor organisation, which I sort of expected / dreaded with it being the first in Shrewsbury and agree that the crowds and the beautiful town did the best to compensate. I lost track completely of what the hell pace I was running with the laps, hills and sometimes confusing mile markers. Do know I did the first 10 in 90.11 but then cracked on. Needed to do the last 1.2 miles in 10 minutes to get my dream target of 3.49, and managed it!

23/06/2013 at 19:38

That is fantastic Egyptian Toe! I imagine your last lap was fab with all of us halfers out of the way . 3.49 is a great achievement and especially on that course!

23/06/2013 at 19:47

Agree qith comments about course, but all in all quite good and I managed  a pb of 3.43!

23/06/2013 at 19:52

Thanks Sara. There were still plenty of HMers on my last lap TBH but it was fun as it was my quickest lap!

Well done Paul!

23/06/2013 at 19:57

Well done to every runner that took part today, a great achievement on such a challenging course. I was just spectating for this one but agree with comments about organisation. The cone placement and signage were poor, and in the Quarry park many Marathon runners were having to dodge pedestrians on the route. Shrewsbury can easily take a two lap marathon or even a one lap event with a little imagination, Chester is a fine example of this but that Marathon is organised by runners for runners not by a business. Still as a runner and a proud Salopian I am so pleased to see this kind of event in the town....GREAT JOB RUNNERS

121 to 140 of 181 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.