Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Camaraderie Rules ;o)

201 to 220 of 3,779 messages
15/11/2010 at 10:53

Hello again everyone!  Just taken me ages to read through this thread, glad to see it's going strong even if Snod 2011 is a long way off!

I ambled around a few 4 mile runs then a few 5 milers then went and did the same off road x country quagmire of a race that NQ2 did...............although I had a sit down around 4 miles in the mud.....unfortunately it wasn't a planned rest break but i don't seem to have done much lasting damage.....a bit of a shock and i think it affected the rest of the run and I ended up covered in mud.....but i managed to finish the race nearly 4 and a half mins quicker than last year but still not as fast as I would have liked.  It actually showed me just how non-recovered i was from Snod but it was all good fun!!

Off to do another silly one next sunday....Pembrey Multi Terrain 10 miler.....a mix of grass, trail, sand dunes, beach and a bit of tarmac.  Only doing it as I loved it so much last year and I think i would regret not doing it this year. This one and the one yesterday are the only 2 i've done off road so can't justify buying shoes for 2 races a year..............hmmmm or maybe i could just find some more races to do???

Still can't decide about a spring marathon.......have gone to enter on the site sooooooooooo many times but can't quite bring myself to do it!!!!

15/11/2010 at 11:11

Hi all

Just been catching up on the weekend adventures, NQ, Andrea b that race sounded so much fun been looking at some off road stuff.....going to get conwy half out the way this weekend then seriously going to have a go at some off road running absolutely loved that mad decent into Llanberis

8miler for me tonight going to do half of it at half marathon pace.........find out if legs have recovered

Snowdonia Snail  Have un ignored you and can see your posts!! sorry mate I was getting paranoid thought I'd upset you!

15/11/2010 at 11:54

Andrea B ...what about Ras y Mast....another nice off road....or should i say Fell race.....or better stiil Hell race  Surely three races would warrant a nice pair of extra grippy off road shoes!!!!!!!

TR38...it was fun and very muddy ...would have been better still a couple of weeks down the line witha bit of extra umppph in my legs ....the run down into Llanberis was just such a thrill ....fail to see how you couldnt just go for it!!!!!!!........made the climb up Waunfawr almost worth it  Good luck with your half ....im off to do a hilly 10 miler .....eeeekkkkk dont know what my legs will make of all of this  Should still be on recovery

Edited: 15/11/2010 at 11:57
15/11/2010 at 12:33
Wild horses wouldn't drag me anywhere near Ras y Mast.........not even once!!!!
15/11/2010 at 12:37

Wow, this thread is romping away as usual (I would expect nothing else of course). Thanks for all your comments on the blog report. It brings it all back to me as I write it. It's partly why I do it, to prolong the experience, dare I say pleasure?

Reydon Rover wrote (see)

britNick- just read your race report,very good it brings it all back to me. How come there are no photo's of you giving it your all at the kareoke? 

RR, I saw someone capturing my first performance on a videophone. I can't recall who it was. Anyone going to own up?

I've really enjoyed catching up with everyone's exploits. Well done to all. I like the sound of the muddy off-roaders. DE, glad to hear you got out for your first event. You must be well on the way to recovery now. Will I see you next Sunday at Wuthering Hike?

I did Six Dales Circuit on Saturday (25 miles in the Derbyshire Dales). It was a gorgeous day but I struggled, not I suspect because of SNOD, but because I didn't fuel myself well enough on Friday. A good curry or fish and chips might have done more good than a prawn cocktail salad.

15/11/2010 at 13:10

Hi BN, I am out next Sunday, but have opted for Wensleydale Wedge as dragging the folks up with me to see my uncle and have a few black sheep / old peculier in Masham. Not too many of course, I think 23m will be hard work right now, esepcially if I'm trying to keep up with Mark.

I agree the prawn cocktail salad probably lacks a bit of something you'd need for 25m, I still have such fuelling muck-ups myself occasionally, though should know better by now.

Wow that race took more out of me than I thought, I was generally lethargic all day afterwards and somewhat stiff in the lower body today. I suppose running 7:30s off-road on hills is never going to be without consequences.

15/11/2010 at 19:39

Evening all

7 miler for me saturday along the lovely east coast, then off to portman road to watch my team get thumped 3-1 by barnsley. On sunday i had to referee my youngest boys football match, which they won and he scored twice so a good day. 

BritNick-25 miles on a few prawns and a bit of lettuce, amazing stuff!    

15/11/2010 at 20:17

Oh you mad lot..wild recipes, mud and beer..who needs tabloid press for 'off the wall' entertainment?

BUT-mega, mega news..caravan found intact and thieves caught by our good men in blue ( South Yorks division-thank you..if any of you work for them). Got phone call tonight to confirm it...cannot believe it..sooo happy.

DE-will be pounding the trails of the Yorkshire Wolds again next year again now. It is these kind of things that upset you eg the memories of what you used to do and go from caravan or anywhere else that is of sentiment more than the financial value isn't it? My rabbit on my avatar is in that van too!!!! OOOps, may starting blubbering now .

Anyway, touche team

15/11/2010 at 20:20

Great news, Brer
15/11/2010 at 20:58
 Great news Brer  Great things have worked out after all the upset and aggravation! Good you haven't renounced the Wolds, some great runs out there.
15/11/2010 at 21:07

Brer

6m in the dark and cold for me tonight- running feeling smoother than ever on newly fresh legs. Going to try a track session on Wednesday which should bring up the 3000m for the year

Edited: 15/11/2010 at 21:20
15/11/2010 at 23:03

Brer, fantastic news!  I was so sad for you before. What unbelievably good luck. I shall go to sleep tonight happy with that good news.

If anyone's still awake, I've just posted my report with pictures of last weekend's outing. The sunny views of the Derbyshire Dales are uplifting, I hope you will agree.

16/11/2010 at 08:48
Brit Nick ....another great report....pictures are fabby....you see you will have to stop this because it gets more tempting each time i read them.... mind you the lovely weather in your snap shots help....i could not imagine being able to run that distance again only 2 weeks after running Snowdon...i dont know how you do it  
16/11/2010 at 09:49

Brer Great news......you got van back and some good mileage out of your legs!!!

Brit Nick Love these reports with Nicola on this you make it sound so tempting!

6miler for me this morning in the dark cold air...loved it, legs felt back to normal and did last 2miles at half marathon pace 

16/11/2010 at 10:23

Brer - that is excellent news!

Good luck with the Conwy half on Sunday TR - if the weather is like it is in Colwyn Bay today it should be a cracking race - and the views from the Orme should be excellent. Remember to drop me a line if you fancy a lunchtime run along the prom!

I'll carry on following this thread (one of the few on RW I follow), but doubt I'll be posting much - I'll probably only be doing a couple of races before next years Snowdonia marathon, although one of them is my village race which I am helping with the organisation of this time around. An early plug - it is a cracking/challenging 12.5km race, which will be taking place on the 11th of September 2011 (excellent training for Snowdonia!) - starting/finishing in the village of Llanddoged (1.5miles from Llanrwst in the Conwy Valley). I'll post a link to the race webiste once it is up and running!

Good luck to all with the forthcoming races - enjoy! 

16/11/2010 at 14:54
JB Thanks. Haven't forgot about lunch time run will be giving you a ring soon once Conwy is done.  Like the sound of your race
16/11/2010 at 19:09

Hi all, as ever thank you so much for your kind comments re my little mishap-still in shock

Britnick, superb report yet again.I forget how beautiful it is around where I live which isn't far from where you took those pictures. John Bach, what a superb place to have a race, Llanwrst is one of my fave walking areas in North Wales..far from the madding crowd which congregate around the Snowdon group.

Good one JD, blimey 3000 miles. That sure is a tidy trainer expenditure

16/11/2010 at 21:32

Britnik- sounds like a grand day out

Went out this evening to do a 6m recovery run, but felt great (wrapped up in tights, gloves and wooly hat!) so went on to do 11m and bring up the milestone of 3000m for the year

16/11/2010 at 22:14

Went out for my first run since SNOD this afternoon. Since the race and my excursion in the Glyders on the Sunday I seem to have developed an achilles tendon issue.  I've left it a couple of weeks, feeling it was settling down, and nipped up my local hill today - only 7 miles and 1320' - but I've come back practically crippled.  Don't know what's going on.  Will have to have some time out .  I very rarely get injured.

Keep up the running and the banter, folks.

17/11/2010 at 10:19

brer - I now live on the outskirts of Llanrwst - I enjoy heading out into the hills either side of the Conwy Valley - favourites include upto Llyn Geirionydd, Llyn Crafnant and Llyn Cowlyd - the Marin Trail in the Gwydir Forest is also good fun, although you have to be careful with psychotic mountainbikers about!

Take it easy TR - hope that the a t issue soon clears

Working in Colwyn Bay, one of the benefits, running wise, is that I can have a gentle, flat chillout run at lunchtime or I can head inland and hit the hills upto/through Bryn-y-maen - which I plan to later as I'd probably end up getting soaked along the prom with the waves crashing over!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.