Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Camaraderie Rules ;o)

3,681 to 3,700 of 3,779 messages
29/10/2011 at 19:25
 Go on Boxer - start the 2012 thread, make TRex happy
29/10/2011 at 19:34

Blimey the race does not get any easier and with that cold rain against my back i could feel a slight pain in my lower  back, nothing unpleasant but not having the opportunity to taper properly for this years race with  almost three week 's inactivity since my fall it certainly showed in my overall condition.

I had four layers of clothing on and never began to sweat the entire race, i cannot remember the race being this chilly for many years.

Like last year, finishing in a very slow 5-25 i feel like i have not really done the race which is annoying.

I am definately going to be the first entrant for next years 30th race but certainly need to regain my overall fitness.

I still find it hard to believe i have gone over two hours quicker on the older more challenging course but i will be 50 next year and feeling it.

I should be happy with just getting around but all that training i did at 7-15 minute pace felt fine during training but three weeks total rest wrecked my overall conditioning.

I just shouldnot climb unstable ladders so close to a big marathon.

A few weeks rest and i am going to have another go at Rhyader 20 and see if i can do well in that race.

17 races under my belt and Iorwerth now has 28 now and really looking forward to next years 30th. 

Edited: 29/10/2011 at 19:50
29/10/2011 at 19:35

I'm not that brave *Frodo*

29/10/2011 at 19:40

Thanks for the kind comments - relaxing now - had Indian takeawy with a couple of beers - X-factor soon with the kids!!

No comments re the weather Peter? One of the highlights for me today was meeting (and starting with) you!!

29/10/2011 at 19:45
That was a great race. My skin is still glowing from all that abrasive rain. And a very sweet PB for me. It is either 4.59 (my watch time) or 5:01 (the gantry clock). Does anyone know where the chip times are posted? Not that it matters, I'm THAT pleased.

Well done all.
29/10/2011 at 19:47
loved the race and hope to be in better shape for it next year.....a special congratulations to John bach
29/10/2011 at 19:53
TMP there's a link to chip times on the snowdonia marathon website homepage,if you haven't had an sms with your times yet.
29/10/2011 at 20:05
my first snod and absolutely loved it despite the awful weather.

Great craic with all other runners and nothing but respect for marshalls and supporters alike for sticking it out on the hills.

Will definitely back as I have unfinished business with the last climb. Final descent was great fun.
29/10/2011 at 20:18

Well done Martin

Nobody in the club would believe me when i would tell them The Snowdon Marathon is not as hard as people make out.

With your excellent time of 3-14 it goes to show Arwel is the chap to get any one around if your fit and hungry.

Regarding that little steep muddy slope to that final gate at 25m , i used the grass path to its left which had not a single footprint on it and was just as quick and  a lot safer aswell.

My time of 5-25 is not surprising when you think ive lost so much valuable training in the last three weeks and even up to then i didnot feel in any decent shape.

This was one of the hardest Snowdons i can remember, throughout the entire race i was running on instinct and strangely i was five minutes down on my training runs on the course.

When i ran from the start to Pen Y Pass i never failed to break 41minutes but i was way down today with my legs feeling tired from five miles onwards.

I suppose we cannot expect every marathon we do to be a painfree affair but today i was on autopilot and was glad to finish.

Atleast the weather remained traditionally unclement and the wind at Bwlch  Y Groes is always an issue even in the summer.

All that was important was making sure i collected my 16th slate coaster and completing my 17 Snowdonia Marathon.

Thankfully Iorwerth finished aswell making it 29 Snowdon Marathons.

See you on Tuesday if you feel up for it.

Peter 

Edited: 29/10/2011 at 20:27
29/10/2011 at 21:24
Well done everyone- you should all be chuffed to have completed the UK's hardest road marathon.
29/10/2011 at 21:28
Congrats to everyone who raced today. Very impressed with the times some of you achieved, especially those in the low 3 hr bracket and below! Frustratingly I was around 19-20 miles when you were crossing the line!! Had my slowest marathon so far in 4:23 but bizarrely it was the best race I've done in terms of control all the way round! Didn't stop running at all till around 22.5 miles, then power walked most of the way up to the quarry at 24. Was really feeling the cold at this point so had to start running again just to keep warm. Picked up quickly surprisingly then had the best ever descent into Llanberis passing loads who'd overtaken me on the way up!! Only started cramping up about 200m from the finish but by then it was too close to care! 3 1/2 hour drive home and am now sprawled on the sofa feeling very full from a massive portion of pasta and very sleepy!! Legs feel tired but ok. Compression tights are definitely the future!!

Well done again guys and girls. Look forward to reading more posts from those who took part over the next few days.

Si
29/10/2011 at 21:52
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=183913&last=1&V=1&SP=

hope that works ok - should be link to snowdonia marathon 2012 thread!
Edited: 29/10/2011 at 21:53
29/10/2011 at 22:44
Well done all, enjoyed today, started steady and stuck to it, body's is screaming stop so thought sod it, run it and enjoy it so that's wot I did, 3.17 and small change. I have unfinished business here coz sub 3 is doable but to much of late has finished me off! The 6 hr drive home was worse! Red wine now, even caught most of x factor
30/10/2011 at 08:39

Bore da/good morning - hope that all those staying over had a good night. Hope the legs aren't too bad - mine have stiffened up a bit - getting out of bed was a bit of a struggle. Not surprising given the pounding they took on the descent into Llanberis

I see the 2012 thread is up and running. I'll definately be back - the Snowdonia Marathon is the only marathon I will do every year. Hoping to a Spring Marathon (probably Blackpool for sentimental reasons) and I really fancy the Coed-y-Brenin trail marathon in June.

After yesterday I am going to try and put in some more miles/quality running ( think my biggest week was just over 40miles). If I can do that, hopefully I will run the last 6 miles much stronger next year - the chap I was running with from Beddgelert for about 5miles went on to run 2h45m (just finishing behind Jez Bragg) - he thanked me for pulling him up the Beddgelert drag. I tried to hold some back for the Waunfawr climb, but really struggled - nothing in the legs - walk/"jog" from 1/2 way up

30/10/2011 at 08:45
Brilliant results on here and congratulations to everyone.

Si - your report sounds just like my experience. I felt the best I have ever felt on this marathon (other than never really feeling warm!), but my time was 4.43, which was one of my slowest runs! Struggled with cramp a few times, which I put down to the cold - despite wearing tights, HH top and club vest, hat and lightweight running jacket. Kind of wish I'd hung on to my binbag a bit longer! Feeling a bit stiff this morning, but not as bad as I thought I would do, which is a relief!

As ever, the support round the course was amazing - how wet and cold must those marshalls have been? Four coasters now - can I keep going to get a full set?

Look forward to reading everyone's reports.
30/10/2011 at 11:30
Bore da pawn. Here in Llanberis enjoying a breakfast bap from Pete's.
Yesterday was my best, most favourite marathon ever!!! Loved it all and very proud to say I ran every inch of those hills. Got in around 4:40 something but so euphoric forgot to turn Garmin off, so can anyone direct me to the results???
Will definitely be signing up for 2012!
30/10/2011 at 11:32

Morning all!!!

Back in Rhyl now, what a great day! Some fantastic times, 3:50:11 for me 30 minutes quicker than last year!!

Well done to everyone, Panad, Chimney great running with you guys, and what a great night meeting up with T-Rex, Brit Nick, Jasond, Chimney, Niki, Andrea, Rou, Stuart and loads of others whose names I didn't get!! Thanks to you all for making Mrs TR39 feel so welcome we had a great night!!!

JD, JB, Rou absolutely awesome times amazing!!

Panad, Chimney we got our Snod sub 4s!! and smashed last years time!!!

30/10/2011 at 13:03
30/10/2011 at 13:26
Hi all, well done on your runs yesterday - some unbelievable times given the weather & underfoot conditions. For those trying to find the results they are on here

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/
30/10/2011 at 13:57

Well done to everyone - the quick and the slow - in what were again dreadful conditions. And many thanks to the marshalls etc.

I finished in 4.13, scraping a pb for Snowdonia by 3 mins (only cos the wind was behind us on the stretch from Beddgelert).

Already got b&b booked for next year. Still hoping for decent weather, in the hope of enjoying the 'spectacular' scenery.

3,681 to 3,700 of 3,779 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.