Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Camaraderie Rules ;o)

81 to 100 of 3,779 messages
05/11/2010 at 20:21

Brer .....thanks for posting the confimed date.....woohooooo its going on the calender and work days will be booked off asap  I have a gore windstopper jacket which is by far the best buy i have.  Not bulky folds into a little pouch ...is warm and better still very waterproof.  I  have a montane marathon jacket aswell and although this is lighter weight it is not as warm or as waterproof

05/11/2010 at 20:40

Hi all.....loving this thread already!!

Been suffering with a cold since Monday but feeling a lot better today, so going out for my first run since snod in the morning. Legs feeling good again!!

Well my next race Conwy half on 21st of this month so back to some early morning.......dark.....cold......runs for me over next couple of weeks. Then no more racing till next year.

T-rex  Malborogh 33 sounds intresting............

05/11/2010 at 21:22

Trex I agree with your comments (apart from the gun time!) I think I may have been in the minority in beating my expected time threrefore on an ego trip!

TR38 I too am suffering from a severe cold headache, sore throat runny nose you name it. (and Conwy half looming fast!)

05/11/2010 at 21:30

Brer- I've got a Montane jacket- but tbh- rarely wear it- get too hot

First post Snod run tonight- 4m recovery- great to run again!! Spent all this week recovering from manflu, so great to get out. Really p****d off that got a bug on race day after 18 weeks of hard training for this year's Snod, but happy (now) to get a 1 min CB under those conditions and looking forward to next year

Anyway- off to train like mad for a sub 3 VLM, starting early December now.......

Then Abingdon,

Then Snod again!!

btw TRex- hoping to be competitive(ish) in Abingdon and Snod - all being well....

05/11/2010 at 22:19

Sub-3??

<<thud>>

05/11/2010 at 22:25
Either London or Abingdon, but not snod- gonna get 1 of them or I'm taking up darts again
05/11/2010 at 22:29

My marathons will probably be Cork, Dingle (Co. Kerry), Abingdon, and SNOD.  Cork or Abingdon will be a sub-3:35 PB attempt.

In 12 years of running haven't worn a waterproof jacket to run in yet.  Got the OMM Kamleika jacket but haven't tested it - perhaps I ought to.  My favourite two pieces of kit are both Gore - Air jacket, and N2S L/S top (both windproof).

05/11/2010 at 22:33
Hardly ever train in waterproof jackets- but never raced- now and again trained in the dark in  luminous jackets - can't imagine ever racing in one cos would get too hot!!
05/11/2010 at 23:00

Trex, sounds like I am as bad as you, cornish will be my 12th mara this year, usually do 4-6, really hate long runs so I just do maras to tick over, its what you do in between that matters i think, cross training, shorter races, I only do 25m on a big week, the only time I go over is when I do a marathon. I was 3.15-3.30ing for the 1st few this year,but the last 5-6 has been between 2.56-3.05 so must be doing something right, (weight loss) i have cut the rubbish miles and put quality running in. also did a 3 min, PB half 2 weeks ago at Stroud 1.20.00 (i know.....dont say it) and that was after doing eden and dartmoor vale maras the 2 previous weeks. so must be doing something right??

As for next year I got Gloucter, Dutchy, Taunton, VLM, shakephere, stockholm, Dartmoor d, North devon, then train a bit for Berlin, well thats the plan. Was looking into galway or longford but flights/ferries are pricey as hell to ireland at the mo. I do fancy that Dingle mara, look forward to hearing about that one!!

05/11/2010 at 23:32

Muzza - I recommend Dingle for stunning coastal scenery - goes all around Slea Head Drive which is closed to traffic (pleases the American grockles no end).  Did the 50 this year but a negligent marshal didn't tell me to go up a road, around a cone, and back on the other side - I went straight by the entrance to that road - so after all that effort, Connor Pass, etc, I only did 49 miles .

25m on a big week?  Excellent - I don't feel so bad now.

Taunton was the scene of my marathon PW - not going back there.

05/11/2010 at 23:58

Ahhhh but you gotta go back to prove it wrong U cant just leave Taunton!!! I like that course! suits me.

I wouldnt grumble about 49 miles but I do understand the frustration, If there aint marshalls I am rubbish, got lost at the SLaMM this year ended up doing 1.5m over, GRRRR! I dont know how I would cope with anything over 32m, only 50+ i really wanna do is comerades, think ill save up and do the 90th anniversary of it.

Dingle sounds great, ill definatly do it at some point. If you like scenic did you do my local one last year? North devon?? mega tough but great scenery. its about 45-60 mins on ya usaul marathon, I did Davos and its almost as bad as that one. ha ha.

06/11/2010 at 11:38

Morning all

First run after snod today, 4mile recovery legs felt good still got a bit of a cold so wasn't happy when it started to rain!! Just told myself compared to what I ran in last week this was nothing!

Well back to early morning running next week ready for Conwy half

06/11/2010 at 11:52

TR 38 ...my first 2 revoery runs were in vile weather and i really had to think what on earth was i doing!!!!  Today however normal service seems to have returned with not only the weather but the legs aswell.  A gorgeous sunny cool morning for a nice 6 mile run.....new kayanos arrived yesterday so first trial run and all was excellent.....the new 17 model seem lighter and less brick like than usual... so think im gonna enjoy this pair!!!!!!!   Its a bit difficult to keep at recovery run pace after all the marathon pacing so was probably a bit quicker than i should have done but roll on next week if this is how quickly my legs recover.  I am even condsidering doing Gloucester in January ................  I really must be ill

Happy running this weekend everyone else .....im on shift at work for the rest of it

06/11/2010 at 12:26

My first run today since last saturday, a steady 6 miles and it felt suprisingly good.Got a 10k in our village in 2 weeks which the legend Steve Cram is taking part in and doing the presentations so it should be good, then after that it is full on training for Brighton marathon in april.

So oct 29th it is then,better start booking some accomodation, can't wait. 

06/11/2010 at 14:43

Hello all, been following this thread for a while, just keeping quiet!! Ran Snod last year 4:14  and got round in 3:58 this year. Happy dayz...!! Snowdon is by far the best marathon I've run. Will be signing up again as soon as Jan 1st comes round..............Roll on. Hellrunner in Delamere tomorrow, think I've recovered from Saturdays fling.

Edited: 06/11/2010 at 14:53
06/11/2010 at 18:23

Cheers for info re jackets folks..dont think I'll bother-managed last year without one.-but then I was frozen..so Nicola-I may well look into your suggestion, thanks

Very gentle 9 miles for me this morning in beautiful sunshine..can hardly believe it is a week since Snod, just watched recording of it at friends house and it seema surreal.

Anyone done Shakepeare marathon before? If so, does it sell out quick? Looking last night at doing Edinburgh or Windermere but my credit card melted when it sniffed the cost of entering them. I want to try to avoid repeating runs I've done before next year..except for the mighty Snod obviously, but the cost of some of these events is alarming so I may repeat White Peak mara again as it is so cheap and cheerful (although not the most inspiring along those cycle tracks) If anyone has top tips for a may/june marathon, I would appreciate them. Am based in Midlands so dont want to travel hundreds of miles.

06/11/2010 at 18:29

Hello familiar and new faces alike.....

....those who know me will know that with a year of pre-Snowdonia talk I'll be changing the subject to off-road ultra's at regular intervals and trying to lure the unexpected to the dark side!

...those who don't.... lend me your ears.... I have just the thing to help you run a great Snowdonia

Did I read something about 7 ultras, T-rex? Must admit my planning is far less concrete, I really don't know what I'm doing next year, although I have at least 5 ultra which are probable certs as well as the C2C which will be 5in5 I guess. I've tested the old-style OMM Kamelieka jacket on several occasions this year and its held off everything thrown at it on some pretty windy and wet days.

06/11/2010 at 18:37

Brer, have no idea how far away this is from you but might be worth a look. 

North Dorset Village Marathon

By the way I'm a maybe for next year, Berlin is my main goal for the year so will decide after Christmas if I will be able to run this a month later and put in a decent showing

06/11/2010 at 18:38

I have my eye on Marylborough Downs for 2012...also quite interested in Doyen of the Downs for 2011...not that I'm ever gonna do an ultra....just looking

Brer..what type of dog? I can definately vouch for a lurcher.....  they're placid and obedient and love running along side you and chasing squirrels and stuff.... Stan has made my miles seem so much shorter, simply love him.

06/11/2010 at 18:43
Gonna see if this works.....Stan
Edited: 06/11/2010 at 18:46
81 to 100 of 3,779 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.