Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Camaraderie Rules ;o)

121 to 140 of 3,779 messages
09/11/2010 at 09:11

Bet S4C wouldn't put a camera on that section

Overtaking would be interesting though

09/11/2010 at 09:43

RWMS Glad you are back!!

All this talk about mud and stuff got me thinking............going to invest in some off road shoes really did enjoy that downhill dash even though my legs where hammered by the end off it!

09/11/2010 at 14:22

"Heheh, it's all going off-road and ultra"

Its Inov8 all the way for me, Roclite 315 a great jack of all trades trail shoe (will take you as far as you want to go), 275 for short races and a bit more grip, and the rest, at last count I have 5 active pairs of off-road shoes, shoe whore that I am

09/11/2010 at 18:15
Oh DE, you trainer tart - thought I was bad but only have two active off road pairs on the go! 315s for me too and an old pair of adidas but I only do short races in them.
TR38 - nice to be back, hectic time of the year for me but should chill some now. ;0
09/11/2010 at 20:05

Lol... DE think I may show that post to Mr DM, I have two pairs of road and two pairs of off road on the go and I'm considered extravagant!

Think I may be talked into running the Marlborough Downs Challenge 33 after London next year...and Mr DM has said I can come back to Snod if I want to.....hmmmmmmm.....can't believe I'm being tempted again!

09/11/2010 at 20:11
DM ....i think it would be fairly easy for me to talk myself into the marlborough 33 ....i dont even seem to need any help  and as for Snod ......you know you want to   i mean who wouldnt
09/11/2010 at 20:39

Hi everyone-good banter as ever. Had my beautiful caravan nicked yesterday from a very secure compound near York..well, obviously not that secure and am gutted..and..not insured-so goodbye 8 thousand quid. I'm so hacked off it is not real a) cos some low life nicked it but b) why did I not insure the buggar???

Oh well-onwards and upwards as they say.

Trex-entered Windermere marathon in the end, but that hacked me off too as one has to raise £200 quid sponsor stuff as compulsory thing to do with entry. But hey, it looks pretty

Off now to have a large glass of something very strong

09/11/2010 at 20:58

Well ever since i heard this race existed i wanted to do it, 2010 was too soon, so next year i'm there.

What's the 21 mile cut-off time? I know there's plenty of time to train but i'm a plodder!!

09/11/2010 at 21:01
On, Brer - that's rubbish

Hope you are enjoying that drink
09/11/2010 at 22:14

Anyone know a nice convenient place to stay for this race??

B Rabbit, make it a triple of something very strong!! gutted for you!! bloody scallies

10/11/2010 at 10:43

Ty Isaf campsite - a snip at £4 a night.

brer - that's lousy.  You went up there to find it gone? Does the compound owner have any liability?  Anyway, what's your charity?  I'll sponsor you if you do 3:50 or less!

Hi, David L.  Not sure how seriously they enforce the cut-off  - although I know Chrissi on the 2010 thread was taken off the course.  Best check with RO nearer the time.  Have a look at the results to see the range of finish times.

jason - now you're talking!  The cover of "The Welsh Three Thousand Foot Challenges" by Roy Clayton and Ronald Turnbull has a picture of Joss Naylor running across Crib Goch.  Mind you he was, and still is, somewhat exceptional.  Technology---savvy folks of the likes of CD or steve-z could probably post the pic were they still around.

10/11/2010 at 12:00

hi folks- tempted by this after driving along Llanberis pass the week before. are there entry restrictions? elsewhere people were talking about A or M grade races - i did the 17 mile version of the osmotherley phoenix last yr- 1000ft i think- but don't think this is on the fell runners website. liked the thought of this as get to do hills without getting lost. - i have the sense of direction worse than a brick!

on the other hand - 26 miles, maybe i'm better off dreaming. ...

10/11/2010 at 13:53

Emma, I think you are talking about fell race classes there. Were you on the FRA website by any chance?

Class A has the greatest ascent per mile (as opposed to class B and class C in that order) and class M I think is usually MM denoting 'mountain marathon'.

Regarding SNOD, it is an awesome race and it sounds like you have a good base fitness level already and there are still 353 days of training left until the next one. This year was my first time and I loved every single minute of it so I'd say go for it

10/11/2010 at 16:41

thanks for that! was on FRA website but only after seeing ques on general forum on RW here about it - hadn't noticed entry criteria on SNOD website but wondered if were on entry form i hadn't seen.

i'll start dreaming again... Phoenix 17 miles i'd expected to be torture but was great so I may be glutton for more punishment

10/11/2010 at 17:00
SNODs the one to do then
10/11/2010 at 17:11
Dina Mo wrote (see)

Lol... DE think I may show that post to Mr DM, I have two pairs of road and two pairs of off road on the go and I'm considered extravagant!

Think I may be talked into running the Marlborough Downs Challenge 33 after London next year...and Mr DM has said I can come back to Snod if I want to.....hmmmmmmm.....can't believe I'm being tempted again!

Note of caution when using my argument for more shoes (I also have 3 active pair of road shoes though two nearly end of life) - I've been single up to of late so have only had to justify such extravagance/insanity to myself, not an OH. So be careful , don't wanna cause any strife. Although the other day it was noted that my house is littered with trainers and laughed off.

brer rabbit wrote (see)

Hi everyone-good banter as ever. Had my beautiful caravan nicked yesterday from a very secure compound near York..well, obviously not that secure and am gutted..and..not insured-so goodbye 8 thousand quid. I'm so hacked off it is not real a) cos some low life nicked it but b) why did I not insure the buggar???

Off now to have a large glass of something very strong

The buggers , so sorry to hear of that. is there any way/chance the police can track it down? Hope the something strong helps.

emma whaley wrote (see)

thanks for that! was on FRA website but only after seeing ques on general forum on RW here about it - hadn't noticed entry criteria on SNOD website but wondered if were on entry form i hadn't seen.

i'll start dreaming again... Phoenix 17 miles i'd expected to be torture but was great so I may be glutton for more punishment

Hi Emma, if you found Phoenix ok then this should be no worries, afterall Phoenix is off-road and is quite regular in the descents/ascents whereas SNOD only has the two biggees (one of which is early enough to not be noticed). You considering the 26 or 33 next year? Phoenix is an annual pilgrammage for me now.

10/11/2010 at 19:22

DE -really enjoyed 17, friend who did 26 is trying to persuade me to up to 26 and she'll do 33! Felt last yr that 17 was enough - was furthest i'd been; more training needed ..i'm not that fast- 4h 30 for the 17, so i'd miss my kids in the Games races if i did the 26...  then i saw this SNOD thing and .. don't know now. i'm hoping i'll be quicker on-road, but also harder on joints.  i live in North York Moors so mostly go off-road.

10/11/2010 at 20:10

Brer- so sorry to hear that

NQ- with all this talk of ultras, hadn't you better get past the 4m training for this month mark

10/11/2010 at 21:07

Hi all

Brer sorry about caravan 

Been looking at theses off road trainers (think some of you guys need to address your footwear addiction by the way!!!) and like the look and price of the inov8 range........whats a good long distance off road kind of race that wont rely to much on me being able to navigate myself round?.....have been known to get lost on some of my regular running places!!!

10/11/2010 at 21:47

TR38 - there's Race the Train in August, and the Sandstone Trail race early October (so a good 'pipe opener' for SNOD 2011 )

Plus, if you fancy something a bit steeper, there are plenty of fell races near you - have a look at the Upcoming Races section on http://www.wfra.org.uk/ .

121 to 140 of 3,779 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.