Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Camaraderie Rules ;o)

141 to 160 of 3,779 messages
10/11/2010 at 22:14

TR38 - do you mean marathons at all?  EnduranceLife coastal ones are so well way-marked it's impossible to get lost.  They even have signs on poles in the middle of paths you are not supposed to take.  Can also recommend Offa's 'Orror, a 20K in Chepstow area.  And, of course, LDWA Challenge events.  With pages and pages of route description there is little chance of getting lost, although if you do you're stuck unless you've plotted the route on a map as well (something I'd recommend).

My score is currently offroad 4 (and still haven't found the "right" shoe), road 1.

10/11/2010 at 22:30
Tattooed Runner38 wrote (see)

Been looking at theses off road trainers (think some of you guys need to address your footwear addiction by the way!!!) and like the look and price of the inov8 range........whats a good long distance off road kind of race that wont rely to much on me being able to navigate myself round?.....have been known to get lost on some of my regular running places!!!

As per t-rex, check out LDWA challenges for a massive variety of 20+ milers, searchable website, there is something most weekends with a bit of travel and you'll be surprised how many local ones there are. Usually nothing too challenging (depends on area) but interesting and a good route description.....

... not to mention food/drinks on the way round and all for a bargain price (especially conmpared to the some of the larger fielded running events.

And once you've had a fill of these check out the vasque ultra running series

11/11/2010 at 01:13
... where High Peak 40 is considered "medium"!
11/11/2010 at 01:31

Thanks T-Rex... Checked the 2010 results and seems like you can be 'slow' and still get round.

Will be doing Shakespeare and Snowdonia next year, can't wait

11/11/2010 at 06:58
T Rex wrote (see)
... where High Peak 40 is considered "medium"!

Poop! That was a loooooong one that I liked the look of - how can THAT be a medium

David Lewis 77 wrote (see)

Will be doing Shakespeare and Snowdonia next year, can't wait

Looking at Shakespeare too - are you lot following me

11/11/2010 at 09:47

Get your entries in, then - it fills up quickly.

The trail series considers up to 32 miles "short".  <a title="www.runfurther.com" target="_blank">www.runfurther.com</a>

11/11/2010 at 09:47
Oh dear - not very good at posting links ...
11/11/2010 at 10:57

Morning All

I was rained off work this morning so i took the dogs for a off road run, It was wild and wild out there but good fun. I can certainly see the attraction of this off road lark, i usually stick to road/paths but i can hear  the dark side calling.One Question for you seasoned offroaders out there is do you wear a gore-tex type trainer or do you just put up with getting wet feet all the time? any advice on off road trainers would be great.

11/11/2010 at 12:33

t-rex - This year the 34m Long Tour of Bradwell is a short in the http://www.runfurther.com/ series (before I referred to it as Vasque series, but I believe they sponsor it no more). I think I've heard from some the HP40 is actually faster than the LTOB which is a tough, 'short' ultra.

RR - Water permeable for me. I've been told that in messy conditions water, mud, etc, will get in your shoes over the top even if goretex. And then your stuck with it I believe (unless there is some clever one way technology I know not of?). Most trail shoes, will let stuff in and out, so your feet will dry fairly quickly on solid trails as water is pumper out or dried out by the heat of your feet. On a hot day I will occasional run through a puddle if there is one available to give the feet a cooldown.

And as per my earlier list I'm an Inov8 man/fan.

Threadjacking over

Edited: 11/11/2010 at 12:33
11/11/2010 at 13:07

Waterproof / non-waterproof is all down to personal preference methinks. I'm with DE on the non-waterproof side of the fence. Unless you are wearing some sort of running 'boots' (which Inov-8 also do  ) then the wet stuff will be going down the side of your trainer whether you like it or not. If your shoe will then let the water out again then they will dry as already stated.

The other advantage over the waterproof ones is that you won't be worried about whether the puddles / streams are too deep and end up over the side of your shoe and end up tippy-toeing round them

The only other possible way of ensuring dry feet are waterproof socks but this may come with its own set of sweaty problems and end up with wet feet that way lol I think sealskin ones might be, anybody out there know either way?

11/11/2010 at 13:10

I my sealskins

But I certainly wouldn't run through rivers in them. I mainly use them when cycling to and from work and in very cold and rainy road-running weather.

11/11/2010 at 13:15
PS for those of you that walk on the hills I know this flies in the face of everything that you have previously held true - keep your feet dry at all costs, it took me a while to get my head round it when I first started too
11/11/2010 at 14:24
Thanks for some good advice. I guess going for non gore-tex will be a bit kinder to the pocket as well.I have got a pair of inov8 roclite390 (boots) that i use for walking, but i certainly wouldn't want to run in them. Next Question is do Inov8 do a good allrounder shoe with a bit of support as i do overpronate slightly. 
11/11/2010 at 17:34

Hi folks, thank you so much for your kind words over stolen caravan, restores my faith in human nature. Trex-put the swine that nicked it about 15 miles ahead of me at Windermere and I'll run so fast to catch the git that I'll break the speed barrier.Not sure what I would do with him then though.

Anyway, life goes on and am fed up of feeling bitter..so back to good old banter about off roading..you crazy bunch. Hey Frodo-where did you get the heart from?? BTW-are you doing Race the Train again next year?

11/11/2010 at 19:01

Heart symbol is an L (either upper or lower case) preceded and succeeded by colons : L : =

I plan to Race the Train, but I am also considering the Lakeland 50 two weeks before, so worry I may be a bit broken...

11/11/2010 at 19:37

Lakeland 50??

<<thud>>

(You're a better hobbit than me.)

11/11/2010 at 21:19

RR...i overpronate aswell and chose a pair of mizuno cabrakans as my off road shoe and i really do like them...in fact i might even give them an outing this weekend .....there just happens to be a sneaky little 6 mile hillllllllly off road club race this weekend.......  Hope the weather improves a bit though as it is bad out there tonight......First run back out with running club tonight and boy it was wild and windy and back to those big hills again  Was good fun though and felt good to be back with fellow club mates

JD ........im getting back into the swing of things slowly  just havent got around to up loading my runs yet .....got to get back to it if im seriously thinking of doing Gloucester

Edited: 11/11/2010 at 21:22
11/11/2010 at 21:47

Come on T Rex, you know you oughtta (even if you don't wanna). Frodo, respect.

brer rabbit, I was really sorry to read of your predicament. I like your attitude though. Let the banter roll.

Reydon Rover, in my experience and from what I have observed with many others, if you wear Inov8s, even if you didn't pronate before, you will, unless you are one of those lucky people that has Inov8-shaped feet. If your feet have any degree of symmetry about them (i.e. straight or, worse still, stick out on the little toe side) or you have a wide forefoot, forget it. Your feet and possibly other bits will get trashed. However if these characteristics are not yours, you may be lucky and they might just fit you like a glove.

You might guess I have a problem finding shoes that fit. To be honest, none do properly. The result is over a dozen pairs in my collection (beat that, DE), most of which I cannot wear for serious running. My current most comfortable trail / fell shoes are La Sportiva Crosslite and Walsh Spirit Peaks, but I need to go 2 sizes too big to rid my toes of the infernal outside taper that afflicts all footwear. Result? Shoes that are too long get tripped over. I had to be really careful on last year's Lakeland 100.

On a more relevant note, I've just been reliving SNOD 2010 as I've finally got around to writing my blog report. (There's also a report on the Runfurther party the week before, where we heard about Stephen Pyke's amazing Munro record, and where my orienteering skills came to the fore. Or not, as the case may be. Titter ye not.)

11/11/2010 at 21:51
Hi, nicola - it seems there is going to be a little bit of a SNOD reunion there, as well as, I understand, Marlborough Downs 33 and High Peak 40.  I'm afraid it won't be the shame short of atmoshphere at all in the quiet country lanes by the Severn, or afterwards.  Hic.
11/11/2010 at 22:03

Hi, BritNick - I'm deciding to eschew Lakeland in favour of various Welsh expeditions.  I've posted some of my plans, hopes, and dreams over on the "SNOD ultra runnig [sic]" thread in the "Gasp! Unconventional running" topic.  Which see.

Interesting comments on your shoes.  Inov8 generally far too narrow for me.  I particularly despise the Terrocs.  I use NB because at least they have wide fittings in trail shoes, but like you have failed to find a comfortable shoe so far.  My Holy Grail is blister-free feet beyond the 40-mile distance.  I will keep buying shoes until I find perfection.

141 to 160 of 3,779 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.