Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Camaraderie Rules :-D

3,641 to 3,660 of 4,563 messages
10/10/2012 at 20:36

ffRAN when i do back to back marathons i normally do 3 or 4 easy miles midweek to loosen the legs rest of week just walk not to sieze up but if you got sciatic its not for me to say but you should not consider another one yet ( but hey i'm crippled up ) but still run,got a ice pack on my hammy as i typesee you somewhere on the coarse sunday,i will try and look good for you

10/10/2012 at 20:45

ffRAN- err on the side of caution- you've got to make it to the start line to have a good day....

Mr Rex????????????

5.1m for me tonight-legs starting to loosen again

10/10/2012 at 20:56

Spin tonight... job done, no running cos I'm tapering...again..and carb loading again....

Yeh, bonkers all right..but live life to the full is my mantra. I'll have fantastic memories when I'm too old to do these things any more

Ffran, I reckon everyone should be entitled to at least a week's leave (paid) after a marafun!

10/10/2012 at 20:56

Post crossed..hi Jason

10/10/2012 at 20:58

brer- hi

10/10/2012 at 21:05

I do hope we will be blessed with perfect weather for the 30th, like it was four years ago   STAIR RODS from begining to end.

It makes for a more enjoyable day out in the hills and adds more excitement  to the spectacle of the most challenging road marathon in the Uk.

1996 my second race was memorable, almost on par with 2002 the race that never was, very high winds and heavy showers.

As long as it rains and we have a strong South Westerly from Waunfawr i will be happy.

Ive had a few fine day's but they never stay in ones memory, its the grizzly weather that one remembers.

October so far has been fairly settled and about average temperatures with little rain.

As long as the weather is gearing itself up so that all hell breaks loose on the 26th i will be happy.

On no account should the race ever be cancelled again due to bad weather.

Quite a few of us made the effort to try and run the 2002 race but we were turned back at the bottom of Bryn Gwynnant.

The Snowdon Marathon is a challenge and the weather would have to be so bad that nobody turned up.

I can remember quite a few disappointed faces way back in 2002, if the weather was that serious they would not have arrived.

What then has 2012 got in store?

Something interesting i hope

FINGERS CROSSED   

10/10/2012 at 22:08
Evening gang

Got to love all us loonies on here!! Well my two week marathon plan started today 40 min cross trainer, 30min exercis we bike, 20min rowing and 30 min weights. Will have to try running soon

Really looking forward to this now must be mad.
10/10/2012 at 22:21

PJL:  I SO hope your forecast is right, always seem to end up with unseasonably warm weather come marathon day so hoping SNOD is going to break this trend!

MM61: I am also at Cardiff this weekend, going to see how it goes as to whether to try and push for a PB or not.  I run a lot of this course training straight from work in the week and I think it will be a vast improvement on last year.  However, the increase in numbers seriously worries me after reading a few comments on FB from people who clearly can't read a race pack and are adamant they are not a hazard wearing their ipods in a group of mates (whats the point of running with your mates if wearing an ipod???) so will be hoping to get round unscathed as there was a lot of pushing and shoving last year  Anyhow hope your injuries hold up and you have a good one.

Achilles still niggling, sports massage yesterday hasn't quite done the trick legs still heavy going to have a couple of slow and steady's between now and sunday and see how they feel..............

10/10/2012 at 22:23
Laudy wrote (see)

PJL:  I SO hope your forecast is right, always seem to end up with unseasonably warm weather come marathon day so hoping SNOD is going to break this trend!

You never know, eh?

10/10/2012 at 22:48

laudy hope to see you there will be in a sarn helen white top with red and green hoops

10/10/2012 at 23:42

I picked myself up out of the bog, stretched the cramp out, attempted to clean my route instructions which had got completely immersed, and set off with a different mindset.  I was going to forget this competitive thing.  After all this was a LDWA event where such notions are frowned on.  Walked to start with, then slowly jogged, before getting into my stride.  By this time the runner who had  overtaken me and the three that I had been trying to keep up with were tiny dots on an adjacent hill. 

That was the last I saw of them.  

Soon there was a sneaky left fork in the path - easy to miss - and then a brilliant descent through the woods, the leaves on the trees golden in the sunlight, and not a soul in sight.  I didn't meet another runner for the next six miles.  They must all be ahead somewhere. 

Descending into Ynysddu, the last manned CP, I took a terrible tumble on a steep tarmac road, its surface covered with slime and mud.  A very nasty abrasion to the right hip, a sore arm that I had used to brace myself, and once again the route instructions completely covered in mud.

Two more manned CPs and the last question answered.  With about four miles to go, mostly downhill, I felt able to get a move on. After some effort got and stayed ahead of two runners.  On the last flying downhill a runner overtook me but I stayed in contact and because he was so slow taking his shoes off before entering the hall (?!) I got to the finishers trestle table first!  We were both given the time 5:55:00.  Not bad but not particularly good - I was hoping for about 5:20. 

10/10/2012 at 23:50

This evening the results came out and I was pleasantly surprised to find I came 5/97 (most of whom walkers).

From this I can only deduce that a lot of folks previously ahead of me made some navigational blunders during the second half of the race.

The one and only SNOD next which will be marathon or ultra #82.

Can I respectfully suggest we frequent Snowdonia Snail's Y Pantri on the Friday (those of us who arrive early enough)?  If you're around, what time are you stopping serving food that day, Snowdonia Snail?  I tend to use Pete's Eats as the ideal place to refuel and chill after the race.  (Perhaps I should re-phrase that ... warm up after the race.)

11/10/2012 at 00:17

btw UDS - are any of the other Stus on the list you?  I'll delete them if they are

3:04

• jason d (4th SNOD)

3:20

• Ultra Disco Stu (2nd SNOD)

3:25

• marathonman61 (9th SNOD)
  • nicola quinn 2 (3rd SNOD)

3:35

• Chimney

3:40

• The Lazy Greyhound40 (8th SNOD)

3:45

• Jedwards (1st SNOD, 2nd mara)
  • Laudy (1st SNOD)
  • panad (4th SNOD)

3:50

• Run Jono (6th SNOD)

3:52

• Fenland Runner  (3rd SNOD)
  • Roger Holliday (1st SNOD)

4:00

• Blackbrogue (1st SNOD)
  • Mark Bryan 9 (2nd mara)
  • Midlife Crisis
  • safety pin

4:10

• Another Hill (1st SNOD)

4:15

• BritNick (7th SNOD)
  • Dennis Hussey (1st SNOD)
  • koiboy  (4th SNOD)

4:30

• Mr Ben
  • Pete Thomas 6  (1st SNOD)
  • Tom 1759

4:45

• ffRAN
  • the mighty pudding (3rd SNOD)

4:59

• Lemmy
  • Mrs Lemmy

Also running

• Alistair Stewart 4
  • Andrea B
  • andy_w
  • Arkinshaw
  • BelleVueRacerofBeartown
  • Boxer1
  • brer rabbit (4th SNOD)
  • Bruce C (1st SNOD)
  • Chrissi (2nd SNOD)
  • FionaEvs 7
  • *Frodo*  (1st SNOD)
  • Goldeagle  (1st SNOD, 12th mara)
  • Gosia Nowicka  (1st mara)
  • Gringo WBA  (3rd SNOD)
  • Hail me a taxi
  • Hayley Winder  (1st SNOD)
  • Heavy Legs
  • John Bach  (6th SNOD)
  • Kelvyn
  • Life's Too Short (1st SNOD) 4th mara
  • little ladcox (1st mara)
  • Mad Jack 28
  • matrichards44
  • megalily (1st SNOD)
  • Miserable Bleeder
  • Mr 2
  • Mr panad
  • Non Davies 2
  • Osian Roberts (3rd mara)
  • #108  Peter John Lewis (18th SNOD)
  • powell1
  • Reydon Rover (5th SNOD)
  • Run Stuboy Run
  • runwithmysetter (3rd SNOD)
  • Sandra Williams 7
  • Sarah Jennings 5
  • seren nos (1st SNOD)
  • stefgirl
  • stilldreaming (5th SNOD)
  • STU -
  • Tim Lebbon  (3rd mara)
  • Tom Scott 6
  • touie2  (1st SNOD)
  • TR40
  • T Rex (7th SNOD)
  • West Brom tom
  • WhichWayNow!  (3rd SNOD)
  • williambloke
  • Willo46
  • WylamWellieWader`

• ChefRunner31
  • Danster999
  • Greg C.
  • mad mark
  • senor spam
  • Stephen Kavanagh 4
11/10/2012 at 00:30

Something you should know, Chrissi, is that I never, ever, post from the bog

megalily - some of us know a very good little race along the Taff Trail about May time.  Goes from Brecon - Cardiff.  See you there.

brer - great on the 3:37 PB.  You were rather vague in which group your very good age category position was, but we'll let you off.

seren - what are you going to try new on race morning in 17 DAYS' TIME?

Something I'm going to do new is ditch the porridge at breakfast.  Have had this as a race morning staple (I don't normally eat it) for several years but I've got a suspicion its been making me feel nauseous - I've often felt queasy during events over the last year or so.

11/10/2012 at 00:44

T Rex, seriously? Downhill, nnnnice! 

ffRAN, t'would be an honour...

Had a damn good massage yesterday, loosening up nicely. B'ham Uni nice bouncy 400m track tomorrow for a try out.

Insomnia.

11/10/2012 at 09:36

T-Rex - glad to here it  and well done on being 5th

I tried porridge before runs but always felt yuk after (love it normally) i'm on peanut butter and banana on toast now  eating logistics for SNOD still need working out need to eat and have it settle before the car journey but that a little early so may have to have a second breakfast (hobbit style) in the car when nearly there.

TR40 - you'll probably be doing a faster run/walk than me but your welcome to join me towards the back if not, een if only for a little while

5.38 miles of fast laps of the town last night on club run, slight route misunderstanding meant us 2 girlies never saw the men after the 1st lap so didn't get to join in the proper interval session but we made our own session up with some mini hill sprints  av 11.5mm

11/10/2012 at 11:10

T REX nice write up againnice short run that brecon to cardiff

CHRISSI i allways have a cooked brekkie b4 snod as i get very hungry from 18miles onbut any shorter race i'm a porridge and honey man

11/10/2012 at 11:13
Frosted shreddies & toast with honey
11/10/2012 at 11:24

Ouch TRex! hope you heal quickly, but well done on coming 5th

Ffran hope the sciatitca clears up soon, take it easy!

Mr panad and I just done our last long run in typical race conditions (wet and windy), just under 18 miles, avg pace 9:15/mi (though ranging from the first at 11:48 to the last at 8:02 I'm not sure how relevant the avg is!) so guess it's taper time now, not entirely sure what I'm tapering from this year though as I've only been managing 2 or 3 runs a week for the last 6 wks!

Brer/TR40 think all chances of me doin conwy are out now as my eldest has a football game and as it's a sunday I can't pass duties over to mr panad. 

Have a good time in cardiff this weekend those doing the half, and Brer enjoy leicester!

11/10/2012 at 13:58

Well done all on the Chester results.  Awesome.  So, so pleased for you all.  Impressed that so many of you would contemplate another marathon so soon.........and then Brer takes up a spare place for a week later.  Seriously bonkers - my legs would never forgive me.

TR40 - good to hear you are joining in the madness.  With no pressure or expectations you will probably have a ball.  

TRex - you can list me as first SNOD - still not brave enough to name a time.  Should hopefully be a marathon PB (Edinburgh only previous one but started that one injured so had to run/walk 4.54)  This one will be uninjured (Yay!) so more prep - but ........................... it's Snowdon.   (secretly can't wait )

Brilliant race report once again TRex.  And congrats on the 5th place.

Also in Cardiff this weekend.  Have no idea what to expect time wise.  Then next week gonna do a mid week 15ish and the rest of the time just a couple of smaller run outs just to keep the legs ticking over - even if it's only 2 or 3 miles.  Always feel all the colds and niggles starting to appear if I don't do anything.

Good luck to all this weekend - racing or training.  x

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.