Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Camaraderie Rules :-D

3,701 to 3,720 of 4,563 messages
13/10/2012 at 23:39

Unheard of.  Now I'm reinstating ChefRunner31 back to the list!

3:04

• jason d (4th SNOD)

3:20

• Ultra Disco Stu (2nd SNOD)

3:25

• marathonman61 (9th SNOD)
  • nicola quinn 2 (3rd SNOD)

3:35

• Chimney

3:40

• The Lazy Greyhound40 (8th SNOD)

3:45

• Jedwards (1st SNOD, 2nd mara)
  • Laudy (1st SNOD)
  • panad (4th SNOD)

3:50

• Run Jono (6th SNOD)

3:52

• Roger Holliday (1st SNOD)

Sub-4:00

• Blackbrogue (1st SNOD)
  • Fenland Runner  (3rd SNOD)
  • Mark Bryan 9 (2nd mara)
  • Midlife Crisis
  • safety pin

4:10

• Another Hill (1st SNOD)

4:15

• BritNick (7th SNOD)
  • Dennis Hussey (1st SNOD)
  • koiboy  (4th SNOD)

4:30

• Mr Ben
  • Pete Thomas 6  (1st SNOD)
  • Tom 1759

4:45

• ffRAN
  • the mighty pudding (3rd SNOD)

4:59

• Lemmy (5th mara)
  • Mrs Lemmy

Also running

• Alistair Stewart 4
  • Andrea B
  • andy_w
  • Arkinshaw
  • BelleVueRacerofBeartown
  • Boxer1
  • brer rabbit (4th SNOD)
  • Bruce C (1st SNOD)
  • ChefRunner31
  • Chrissi (2nd SNOD)
  • FionaEvs 7  (1st SNOD)
  • *Frodo*  (1st SNOD)
  • Goldeagle  (1st SNOD, 12th mara)
  • Gosia Nowicka  (1st mara)
  • Gringo WBA  (3rd SNOD)
  • Hail me a taxi
  • Hayley Winder  (1st SNOD)
  • Heavy Legs
  • John Bach  (6th SNOD)
  • Kelvyn
  • Life's Too Short (1st SNOD) 4th mara
  • little ladcox (1st mara)
  • Mad Jack 28
  • matrichards44
  • megalily (1st SNOD)
  • Miserable Bleeder
  • Mr 2
  • Mr panad
  • Non Davies 2
  • Osian Roberts (3rd mara)
  • #108  Peter John Lewis (18th SNOD)
  • powell1
  • Reydon Rover (5th SNOD)
  • Run Stuboy Run
  • runwithmysetter (3rd SNOD)
  • Sandra Williams 7
  • Sarah Jennings 5
  • seren nos (1st SNOD)
  • stefgirl
  • stilldreaming (5th SNOD)
  • STU -
  • Tim Lebbon  (3rd mara)
  • Tom Scott 6
  • touie2  (1st SNOD)
  • TR40
  • T Rex (7th SNOD)
  • West Brom tom
  • WhichWayNow!  (3rd SNOD)
  • williambloke
  • Willo46
  • WylamWellieWader`

• Danster999
  • Greg C.
  • mad mark
  • senor spam
  • Stephen Kavanagh 4
13/10/2012 at 23:50

Not going for a time myself.  Haven't really started training properly yet.

Fenland - that's a relief, you're doing Leicester.  I thought for a minute you were calling the one and only SNOD marathon boring.  Not how I'd ever describe it.

18 SNOD virgins on the list and two for whom 1st marathon!  How have your preparations gone Gosia Nowicka and little ladcox?

I shall probably aim to do a 20 in the next few days and then taper a bit.

32 miles on the bike yesterday - the round trip commute to work.  Not used to riding yet, so all contact points with the bike sore at the moment.

14/10/2012 at 00:06
"is it safe?", I ask myself, pondering a 15 tomorrow... See how my dicky anterior T feels at 5 & 10, no chances this close to Mday. So glad I've followed this forum guys, Thanks for inspiring a 50+ 1st timer. This has slightly demistified snod, tho despite 20 weeks training so far and punishing days in the hills of late, I'm under no illusions whatsoever! KBO as my old dad used to say, KBO.
14/10/2012 at 01:03

Safe as houses (unless you live in NE Scotland).

Just noticed BBC want readers' stories of what they were doing during the "hurricane" 25 years ago on Monday.  So as you'd imagine I've sent in my story. 

Hadn't watched the "infamous" forecast and so in ignorance cycled the 3 miles to work for my 0430 start as a milkman as usual, finding it very hard going, having to carry my bike over fallen trees, etc.  Delivering the milk was even harder, in the torrential rain and gusts up to 100 mph but I managed it, taking 4 or 5 hours longer than normal.

Even SNOD has never been that bad!! 

Got lots of stories of mishaps during the 4 years or so I did that job but they're not really relevant.

14/10/2012 at 07:39
TRex add Mr panad to your tally of both SNOD virgins and first time
marathon-ers.

I remember being rather badly told off by my dad during the storm as I wanted to open the window to 'get a better look'. We lived in SE England at the time and so it was pretty bad, we lost the fruit trees in the garden,the chimneys on our roof and had a few days off school while everything was cleared up-my younger sister and I were a bit put out that our older sister got longer off as a couple of trees had actually fallen into her school!
14/10/2012 at 07:47
Trex - i remember the 1/2m walk to primary school over fallen trees! Not surprisingly when I got there the school was closed
14/10/2012 at 10:59
25 years ago, my Dad was in ITU, London Heart Hospital after a quad bypass. Roof got ripped off and all the electrics went. Worrying few moments until the generators kicked in!
I'm poorly! Rough night with head in toilet, so shakey legs and rotten headache now. So no Cardiff Half spectating for me. Never mind, will be fighting fit in a few days.
14/10/2012 at 11:11

Hey team..I'm not in Leicester!! Got up at 5.30 with all good intentions, felt ok then for some reason, decided to weigh myself to ensure carb loading hadn't been affected by projectile excitment. To my horror, I discovered I had lost 5 pounds since Friday morning .I know that I am sometimes a little reckless, but even I respect the 26.2 mile beast enough to know that the 'The Wall' was calling me at some point. So, went back to bed grateful that this happened now and not in 2 weeks time.

Anyway, great to see folks being reinstated-shows determination.

aaaggghhh, the hurricanes. Was it really 25yrs ago? All the windows in the Halls of Residence I was at shook with such a force, it was on top of a hill. But amazingly, not one shattered however twas a frightening experience. Trust you TRex not to give up the milkround even in 100 mph hurricane.

Oh ffRan, your post has just popped up.Poor you, you are obviously 24hrs behind me then in the puke challenge Hope you feel better in a while.

14/10/2012 at 11:26
Brer, just my luck I won't even lose the poundage as my metabolism means by lying flat all day I gain weight! I know you made the wisest decision. Look forward to meeting you at Snod.
14/10/2012 at 13:18

Likewise ffRan

Now confined to barracks so have decided to do something about the house which has rapidly deteriorated due to recent manic events..just got round to unpacking Chester marathon luggage and found Wolves marathon stuff too OMG. (not dirty stuff I hasten to add)

14/10/2012 at 13:40

ffRAN hope you feeling better

cardiff half report well on the way to cardiff had to bin the car 2 miles out has the roads were gridlocked we were all trying to get to the official car parks immpossible as the road closures were in force,1 road open nowhere near the carparks so dumped mine by maindy swimming pool just hoped not to get clamped luckily i didnot

1hr 30 .50 my time not at all happy snowdon is going to be a disater if today is anything to go by

14/10/2012 at 13:49

Brer, Ffran hope you both get well soon

Good luck to anyone who did make a race today

I'm really enjoying my first Sunday for ages where i've not had to run a ridiculous amount of miles though may pop out for a few later if stomach settles (not ill just girl stuff).  Just done next weeks asda order which was rather heavy on the pasta  the one for the week after wil include celebratory cake and wine me thinks.

Can't believe how much i'm looking forward to this 

14/10/2012 at 13:52
Sorry to hear Ffran and brer both under the weather. It has prompted me to max out on the Vit tablets to try and stay clear of illness over the next 2 weeks. Always the one real threat to ruin a race.
Chin up MM61. 1:30 is a great time 2 weeks out from a marathon.

enjoying no running today
14/10/2012 at 13:53

MM61 - well done time sounds ok to me we'll have none of that negativity please

14/10/2012 at 13:53

BRER  just read back hope you feeling better

CHRISSI you deserve a rest enjoy the day

14/10/2012 at 15:50

Sorry to read that brer rabbit.

I was really surprised that the Leicester marathon was actually a good course and bar the rancid subway that reeked of urine was a good one.

Paced my friend to a 15-minute PB and his first sub-4.

Went through halfway im about 1:56 so a four minute cushion and recorded 3:58, so a 2:02 for the second half with an evil finish, all ascent for the last mile!

Job well done and all attention now focussed on the best marathon in the UK

14/10/2012 at 16:26

FR nice going was it cold like cardiff

14/10/2012 at 16:52

Hi all

Hope taper is going well for everyone.

Did Coventry Half today as a bit of "race-day" preparation, early night, early start and all that. Was aiming to just ease to a slightly sub-1.45 but to my pleasant surprise felt very fresh throughout and ended up knocking a mighty 2 seconds off PB! 

Obviously Snod won't offer the same stunning vistas, nor the sheer adrenalin rush of negotiating a ring road system, but I've paid my entry fee now so I may as well turn up and do it.

As an aside, the Cov Half clearly asked runners not to wear headphones before or during the event, so imagine my bemusement at seeing official race banners on lamp posts at the race start featuring a smiling runner... with headphones on. FFS

14/10/2012 at 17:20

BR and ffRAN, gutted to hear that always live in fear that I am going to pick something  up before a race, *touch wood*, only been colds thus far.

Great going FR and DH, hope it was a bit warmer up in the Mids (although I suspect not) as it was proper chilly down in cardiff.  1.5 hrs outside before the race started and 30 mins in a pen to try and avoid getting bumped (that didn't pay off) and it took a full 4 miles before I had any feeling back in my hands and feet.  However, all the standing around and no toilet block anywhere close, meant I had to stop at 3 miles, there was no way I was going to make it round in comfort without peeing!  Decided, then to not push for a PB and to cruise it acting as pace maker for the OH as he wanted sub 1:35.  Finished in 1:34:21, pretty pleased as it felt easy even though the legs have been heavy all week, achilles refuses to improve but, *touch wood again* its not getting worse either.  

MM61:  Sounds like you had a reasonable run 2 weeks out, I thought the organisation was better this year, but think they may need to think about a park and ride as coming from the north into cardiff is not easy with the road closures.

So, onto a couple of easy weeks now and mentally prepare myself for these legendary hills

14/10/2012 at 17:51
Well done Racers! Brilliant results. Times I would dream of (if I was 25 yrs younger, 7lb. lighter and 6in taller).
Despite lovely day, still in jammies, hoping to be better by morning. Will be 100% by 27th.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.