Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Camaraderie Rules :-D

4,501 to 4,520 of 4,563 messages
30/10/2012 at 09:53

First day back in front of a computer since Thurs and been catching up with the posts.

TRex - Really sorry to hear that you had to miss out. Hope Mrs Rex is feeling better.

Some stunning times and tales from everyone. Special congrats to Tattooed Runner - fantastic time after missing so much training time. Hat off to you.

I knocked 16 mins off my SNOD PB finishing in 3.35.22. Well pleased with that and whole race day experience. Loved the sunny clear weather but looking forward to a return to wind and rain next year

30/10/2012 at 09:54

I had a nice chat with Dennis Walmsley early on in the race (caught on TV) - he told me that he had not run the race since 2007, which I told him was my 1st one - I said I remembered running up the pass with him & John Allen (they were wearing numbers 1 + 2) - I said I stupidly tried to keep with them on the descent and faded very badly!! Little did I think at the time of speaking to him on Saturday, that that was going to happen to him later . I have the utmost respect for him - he was, he said, 50 this year - great to see a 5 time winner still support the event, which is close to his heart. A true gent!

One of my many happy memories from the race on Saturday was hearing a prominent  local runner who I'd spoken to that morning shout out at the top of the Pass (in his distinctive Irish accent) "So much for taking it easy John"!!

Reading all the stories, seeing all the pictures etc is really putting a smile on my face, although I feel that I'm suffering from post marathon depression!? I did say no more spring/flat marathons, but I've recently heard that the 2013 Blackpool marathon starts outside and finishes inside my beloved Bloomfield Rd stadium (my Dad is Blackpool born & bred & I am a lifelong BFC supporter!!) - looks like it will be marathon number 13 for me!!

30/10/2012 at 10:22

Good luck with the training for it JB . Hopefully your new footwear will sort out your PF issues in the future .

It's a shame they can't have a SNOD every month of the year oh well I suppose it makes the occasion that much better .

Don't think there will be a spring marathon for me next year but I have the TMW early summer to think about if I can get my time close to the 4 hour or just under then that will be an achievement in itself .

Hopefully get some consistent training behind me next year .2012 has certainly been up and down with injuries .

30/10/2012 at 12:57
T Rex wrote (see)
BritNick I see you achieved the final target you set yourself, not the one I set you!!

I have a knack of gauging my level of fitness and predicting my finishing time leading into a race. I knew 4:30 was realistic and 4:00 was an impossibility. I'd have to be super race fit to achieve that and I knew I wasn't. As it turned out, 4:28 was a marathon PW but it was the best I could manage on the day. Still, it was such a beautiful day with such great camaraderie from runners and supporters I didn't mind one jot. I seized the opportunity to take pictures along the way. I'll upload them within a day or two. It was the first time I have ever seen the summit of Snowdon from below.

Well done to all who got PBs. Well done to all who finished. Well done to all who gave it a go and was unable to finish. It had to be one of the best SNOD days ever. It was the best in the 7 years I've done it. I've never seen the ground so dry on that final descent - unbelievable. Can't wait until next year now.

30/10/2012 at 13:12

Looking at my position at half way and finish position, I made up 47 places.  This is a surprise as my +ve split was about 18 minutes!!!

30/10/2012 at 13:27

My positive split was 29 minutes and I still made up 29 places! Most of those were on the final descent (best part - reminds me more of fell running).

30/10/2012 at 15:45
John Bach, join me for Portsmouth coastal marathon on 23rd December
Bit nick, I thought it was you I saw taking photos on the bridge on the way up to Pen Y Pass
30/10/2012 at 16:56

Five mins slower in the second half, and I put it down to the hill at the end.

30/10/2012 at 18:37
First half 1:56 and 788th pos, second half 2:06 and 529th pos. Had hoped for just under 4 hrs based on a previous marathon PB of 3:42 at Edinburgh this year. So all in all very content and think the second half went particularly well - managed to run nearly all the last hill out of Waun Fawr. Will definately run it again but not sure if it'll be next year.
30/10/2012 at 19:25

NQ2 give yourself a huge pat on the back when i saw you around 17 miles you looked done in so a huge well done from me a lesser person would have quitallways said to finish is more than enough

30/10/2012 at 20:03
Lots of Cross training with JD jnr in Folly Farm Adventure Park for me today and 6.38m recovery run tonight- legs starting to feel normal again
30/10/2012 at 20:52
Where is eveyone seeing pics of the race!? I got an email from marathonfoto but they are shite AND expensive! Any free pics out there?

Lunchtime 5m recovery run for me today. Felt surprisingly good which must mean I didn't push hard enough on Saturday massage tonight was awesome. Really sorted me out and legs feeling like I could almost run it all again this weekend!!

One question for everyone to ponder: have you found yourself having to justify your SNOD time to other runners providing the equivalent 'flat' time!? Why can't my SNOD time just be what it is or perhaps it's all in my head. One friend said why did I waste my time running snowdonia when I could have posted a much faster time on the flat!! He was half joking about the 'wasting my time' comment I think but it hit a raw nerve. Why should I have to prove myself on a flat course to others! If anything I think SNOD proves a whole lot more.... [i feel much better after that rant... Thank you]
30/10/2012 at 20:57
UDS- do both! but only if you want to, not for anyone else....
30/10/2012 at 21:05

UDS - Al Tye (www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk) and Gwynfor James (ww.sportspictures.co.uk) were taking pictures

30/10/2012 at 21:21

UDS:  Oh yes, felt myself having to make 'excuses' because I was way off my PB.  Still, for me I had an incredible experience and felt I challenged myself rather than being pampered round some city centre marathon.  My friends will still be more impressed by a trek round London in April than Snowdon, but I know which was the most rewarding.

Taking the legs out for their first run tomorrow, hoping they are fully recovered as pacing at PR on saturday

30/10/2012 at 21:24

actually impressed probably the wrong word, vaguely interested probably nearer the mark

30/10/2012 at 22:05
I've never posted a race account - lack of confidence I suppose- who would be interested in my running??? But here we go.....
After a big psychological boost at Chester, albeit, getting number 3 goal only and still fading towards the end, I was really, really looking forward to Snowdon, despite legs feeling very tired.The very few miles I'd done in between were a warning not to expect too much of such a challenge, but as the days drew closer, there was a vicious rumour circulating that the weather was going to be......dry!
Morning came, cold, crisp but with some ominous clouds, but I ditched the " waterproof" for a thick top to don on top of my Chester top. By the time I'd got to the excitement of the start, I was too warm. The race started and I promised myself, I was going to try to stick to a steady 10 minute miling. Got to the top of Pen y Pass feeling very comfortable, and could see the first guys going down the track- too far away to make out details. Grinned all the way down to the bottom, onto the track- the off road bits, I really love, then started chatting to a guy who wanted to stick to same timescale, so we ran together, through Beddgelert, encouraging each other up to Rhyd du. I lost him at a drink station - I had my Camelback, so hope he did ok. Main thing was I forced myself to remember my nutrition of choice. It had all been planned. Cherry jam and crunchy peanut butter sandwiches, cut into tiny fingers - 1 at 7, 10, 14, 18. + a marmite sandwich, in case I felt sick, to supplement. Not many people's choice, but hey, I hate gels.
My husband, sister and friend surprised me at mile 18 and the photos they took do indeed show me looking very cheery and still running strong. OH nearly missed me as he was too busy talking to his new 'best friend', Gary Cooper (played for ManU in 90s??).
I planned on dumping my top +camelback at Waun Fawr with my family after taking my new secret weapon... SIS gel with caffeine- thought being that every other marathon I'd done, I fluffed at 20 ish, either vomiting, feeling faint etc. Reasons varied from too many to no gels/ not enough nutrition, so hoped my stomach would tolerate just one. Family not there so kept gear on, I still felt absolutely great, but did walk a bit of hill, (bit disappointed as I'd run all the way the year before, but my calves felt as if they were going to cramp).I turned around to ease them, and was amazed by the view of Anglesey. Anyway I got to the top and my time was looking ok.
I reached the point when you started the descent and actually said out loud "this is what I've run all this way for!" I started to speed up and a guy in front actually had his dog on an extender lead, right across the path!!! I couldn't have stopped but he yanked him in in time. I absolutely, bloody love that descent, - when you get to the tarmac, and just know you couldn't stop, it reminds me of being a child!
I got to the bottom and my calf was starting to cramp again, (I was actually listening to House of Pain) but NOTHING was going to stop me running along the High St where my family were screaming me in. The Finish! My Garmin said 4:31, (?) my TDL time 4:33 and THIRD in category - see... you only have to be old and you can get a result.
I loved it - the very best race in the UK, and most important to me, finally, after 9 goes, I actually think I got my nutrition right. Wish I could run this every week. Xxxx
30/10/2012 at 22:06
Sorry.... It looks very long= boring?
30/10/2012 at 22:25
Ffran - not at all!! super report. Loved it. Perhaps I should replace my gels for marmite sandwiches to achieve 2013 target time!!

JB - thanks for links. Found a good one from Al Tye down final descent
30/10/2012 at 22:51
ffRAN - great report!
uDS- hope your photos look better tha mine!
4,501 to 4,520 of 4,563 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.