Snowdonia marathon 2013

Camaraderie rules

681 to 700 of 2,406 messages
20/01/2013 at 17:36
Well thanks Brer not running as well as you though
21/01/2013 at 18:02

Just entered the 10Peaks Brecon Beacons (long course) this Sep.  Will be my main event for this year and possibly the toughest done to date.  Advertised as tougher and worth more UTMB points than their similar Lake District event at which in 2010 out of all the starters, none finished!  How can an event be tougher than one with no completers?!  Perhaps results are measured by how far you get before you have to pull out??

This could and probably will make quite a story.

21/01/2013 at 18:16

3:00

• jason d (5th SNOD)
  • wayne mayer 2 (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Greg C.
  • stephen kavanagh 

3:45

• Tattooed Runner41 (4th SNOD)

3:49

• Run Jono (7th SNOD)

4:00

• BritNick
  • Kandinsky

4:15

• touie 2

4:45

• Camlo
  • Elli of the North
  • Other Half (1st SNOD)

5:00

• Lemmy (2nd SNOD)
  • Mrs Lemmy (2nd SNOD)
  • Steve J

Also running

• Banterful
  • Bluemoon86  (1st SNOD)
  • brer rabbit
  • Caity
  • Cap66
  • ChefRunner31 (3rd SNOD)
  • Chimney
  • Danster 999
  • Dennis Hussey (2nd SNOD)
  • Fenland Runner
  • ffRAN
  • Fiona Evs 7
  • HeOw
  • jenf (1st SNOD)
  • joe 26.2 (3rd SNOD)
  • John Bach (7th SNOD)
  • KingKenny
  • Laudy
  • Leigh C-H
  • mcs
  • mitiog
  • Moving Along
  • Mr 2
  • Mr Ben
  • Mr panad
  • panad
  • paulkrunner
  • paulsamchrimbo
  • Pete Grice (1st mara)
  • Peter John Lewis (18th SNOD)
  • Pete Thomas 6 (2nd SNOD)
  • pinkbug (1st SNOD)
  • powell1
  • Reydon Rover (5th SNOD)
  • Slimswannie (1st SNOD)
  • Snowdonia Snail
  • STEVE TAYLOR 27
  • stilldreaming (6th SNOD)
  • The Lazy Greyhound
  • T Rex (7th SNOD)
  • Ultra Disco Stu
  • Wabo
21/01/2013 at 18:36

Mr Rex....and you call me loony!!

Right, time to stick my name down for a time..3:45 or bust! (5th Snod)

12 miles completed tonight across even more snow, not a cm of tarmac touched my little feet. Up to my thighs in the powdery white stuff at one point..my thighs will be like tree trunks soon Alas, mega ice on its way now, tried to put Yaktrax on over trainers last night for first time..cant say I trust them, look a bit weedy So, may have to resort to dreadmill after Spin class for rest of week until it is apparently getting milder.

How's everyone else fairing?

21/01/2013 at 18:45
Back to school here, so contented myself with 17 hilly miles on the bike in the snow (commute) - had to alter my route a bit (which made it hillier!) to avoid the worst of the country lanes, but still far happier on my bike in such conditions than in a car, at least I can get off my bike&walk I'd necessary

If my legs survive tomorrow's commute I'm planning a run tomorrow afternoon...

Glad to see you're getting back to normal TRex
22/01/2013 at 19:53

T Rex- Best of luck with THAT outing, buddy!

brer- do you have the Yaktrax Pro with the strap over the top? Failing that, there's always xc spikes....

panad- nice commuting. You could always leave the bike at school and run home, the reverse the procedure the following day Only joking!!

A very easy paced 10.21m for me tonight and no morning run- it is my recovery week, after all

22/01/2013 at 19:55

wimped out this eve.. just couldn't face the cold again  

Promise myself a long beach run tomorrow afternoon,( frozen sand is good ), and I have the afternoon off work!

22/01/2013 at 20:19
It has crossed my mind JD, or even running both ways, but lack of showering facilities at school are not conducive to good working relations (primary schools are not well equipped!) On occasion I've been known to get the bus to school and then run home, but I enjoy the cycle, most days at least (&it's cheaper!)

8miles this afternoon, roads all ice-free here again, and there was even blue sky this today

Enjoy the beach tomorrow jenf

Enjoy the free time this week JD
22/01/2013 at 20:33

Hi gang..surviving January so far by the looks of it! Spin tonight with trainer from hell but tomorrow night sees me venturing out in my new innov8s..with metal studs.

JD, have yaktrax pro, they just don't seem very substantial. I nearly bust the rubber bit putting them on the trainer

Panad..I have same showering problems. Primary schools just aint geared for dedicated super athletes like us

22/01/2013 at 21:43

Snow falling heavily here at the moment.  I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be the day ...

23/01/2013 at 12:26
School closed early due to heavy snow. Touch and go driving home, but got the car back- just! Looks like I'll get to try out the Yaktrax, Brer!
23/01/2013 at 12:42

Saturday after walking dogs, Run Director'd local parkrun in the snow, went shopping felt decidedly chilled and flu'y so had a inside day and felt better Sunday. Didn't go to Benfleet 15 to support (Mrs lemmy pulled out as well), stayed in and just walked dogs... Done a bit of core work and I ain't running round the street of Dagenham in the ice so no club this week and no running until it's sensible... No point breaking anything...

Well done all the unfair-weather runners...

Brer, Wankles are Weak Ankles... Keep spraining right ankle so road running until after VLM.

Happy belated birthday Trex...

23/01/2013 at 16:10

Promised myself a beach run today!  lol, it was a complete white out. SO SO much fun, mile after mile of perfect snow, not another person in sight. Am I mad or just a big kid?

23/01/2013 at 16:56

jenf- well done on the beach run. I guess Parkrun is looking doubtful again for this weekend...

I LOVE MY YAKTRAX They were great, Brer- never felt like I was likely to slip- in fact at times they were a little hard work- like having mini suction pads on your feet

13m ML run done and dusted- hard work through blizzard conditiomns. Fun not worrying about pace and uneventful ..... until 2m from home when I stopped to watch a Transit van coming down a back road hill, thick with snow, fail to make the bend, mount the bank and land on its side! Had to clamber on top to open the door to help the driver out. Luckily, no apparent injuries and he was more concerned about his van - what a plonker!! Left him with some onlookers to wait for the ambulance I got them to phone to check him over. Only problem was, when I ran up the hill to the van, I forgot to start my Garmin

23/01/2013 at 17:28

Wow JD..what a day..Superman to the rescue Great to hear about Yaktrax..may yet give them a try although things seem to be thawing to that nice mushy state now here.

Lemmy, hope you get back to the training soon.

Jenf...that sounds pretty awesome too..may have to go on a little cross country adventure with headtorch in a little while. Now, where's Mr Rex got to today??

23/01/2013 at 21:16

I had my yaktrax on last week and felt them through the sole of my trainers (normal trail trainers) and gave me a blister 

First time that's happened

23/01/2013 at 23:50

Had a nice little run today - my first since 14 November!  We've had three large dumps of snow - Friday, Tuesday and today, but I needed to get out. 

Thought I'd go up to my local summit and back, normally a straightforward outing involving 6.6 miles and 1300' ascent.

Made may uphill to the edge of town on paths with people digging their cars out and happy groups of children sledging. Once I got out of town much higher up there was little evidence of people having gone this way before and coming out onto the top lane there were only one or two sets of prints, none of them recent.  This top lane only goes to two farms and unlike when there's been deep snow in other winters recently there were no vehicle tracks at all. The farmers hadn't got out?  This should have alerted me to what lay ahead.

Coming off this lane onto a track which only led to some farm outbuildings there were no vehicle tracks or footprints since the first snow fell on Friday.  I was on virgin snow about ankle deep here.  Through a kissing gate and then I was on the open hillside where things started getting serious.

Toiling uphill I was in snow knee deep.  Visibility was poor, about 50m, and there was no trace of the path at all  - everywhere a blanket of snow with the topmost reeds and heather covered in ice sticking out above it.  It was disorientating.

24/01/2013 at 00:06

I was soon floundering.  Where it looked the path might be was the deepest snow.  It was soon thigh deep, and occasionally up to my waist. It was hard not to fall over which I did several times.  Very hard to get up again since the ground was out of reach of your arms.  The only way to get back up was to fall onto my back and roll around like a beetle unable to right itself and excavate a large pit in the snow.

As I got higher the snow was falling more heavily, a strong cold wind was getting up, and my one-layer clothing system was starting to be tested severely.

I persevered on for another half a mile but fatigue was setting in.  I now had no real idea where I was. I could be contouring the hill on any random contour and be nowhere near the path.

Visibility was getting poorer and looking around from the vantage point of the latest large pit that I had had to excavate I realised I was in a bleak place.   I'd told my boy (who was having yet another day off school) that I would be two hours max and I had already expended 1h10 getting to this point. I was also concerned my tracks - which I was relying on to follow back down - would start getting filled in with the snow falling.

24/01/2013 at 00:15

So I'm afraid I leaned out of the pit and wrote in large letters in the snow "For God's sake look after our people" (Robert Scott's last diary entry, March 1912) and headed back down.  The steps I had made coming up made for good progress and no navigation worries but on the steep downhills fell over frequently, laughing helplessly.

Great fun, and back within my two-hour goal. Arm aching a bit but no lasting damage, and I'm pleased to say I seem to be back.

24/01/2013 at 06:15

That's some good work T Rex and sounds like a lot of fun but it does make my intervals around the local housing estate seem even more mundane!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.