Snowdonia marathon 2013

Camaraderie rules

1,301 to 1,320 of 2,406 messages
14/06/2013 at 20:31

I had a morning off this morning as my legs were still a bit sore. loosened up nicely tonight though for a storming session! I was lucky to have company for a tempo session on the track- I find tempo runs the hardest to run solo! The plan was to run 30 mins at around half mara pace, followed by 10x 400 at 10k pace with 200 recoveries between. Very happy with the run in the conditions as I managed a total of 8.81m in 53.27 (6.04 av) A good place to be in the middle of a series of 90m+ weeks A real confidence booster! 

So HOW MANY weeks?

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 20:31
14/06/2013 at 20:51

Ok just checked my calendar..I reckon it's 18 weeks as from 24th June..but I have just had a vino..so may be wrong

Panad, you will thrash the beast..don't worry!

Jason...90 miles at this stage of a school term. I can barely string a sentence together after dealing with..all that goes on with Yr 6 children..too cool for school..attitude

15/06/2013 at 11:08

20 if you include this weekend,

Jenf - shame we didn't know what we both looked like we could of said hi - i was with hubby and our 2 big dogs so you couldn't really of missed us missed the off of the next leg but hung arounf until the last person in - i was wondering if everyone was you lol

Nice easy 3 miles in the rain last nught woth Mr C the car said it was 13 degrees thats more SNOD weather than summer?????? Mr C has announced he wants to run the London Marathon and raise money for Arthritis so being to good wifey i am i printed off the charity application form for him £2000  raising that sounds harder than running it to me but then i haven't got replacement hips.  Will keep you all posted as to what happens.

16/06/2013 at 16:26

Hi all

Panad you will be storm it to the summit! Cant wait really looking forward to this race  

Some great running going on as normal. 5 mile bike ride to Abergele hills then an 8 mile trail run with 1341ft of assent followed by 9 mile bike ride home for me today was hot out there.

16/06/2013 at 19:12

10 degrees and pouring rain here- 18m of great training for Snod!  Mileage starting to build nicely again now too with my first 3 figure week for a while

16/06/2013 at 19:32

Yeh, all good going here then team. I finally found some sun today on the North Yorkshire moors Just returned from Hardmoors Trail marathon-fantastic event. Actually nearly 28 miles but who cares, scenery awesome, checkpoints scrummy and the sun shining. Wobbled in at 4hrs29 mins and got a trophy for 2nd lady.Yeh!

17/06/2013 at 12:36

Well done Brer!  great start to your marathon plan!!

I set myself a hill challenge yesterday. I've set a 10k route that takes in a 1.5mile v steep hill (first gear in a car job) up and back down it. For my first attempt I did it in 61mins, and only had to stop once briefly to walk. It should be good training, and I can extend the route easily. Look out SNOD, I'm starting to take you seriously!

Chrissi, - I saw two big dogs!!

17/06/2013 at 13:48

Jenf - that was us then - well not the dogs the humans hanging onto them  good hill in your 10K i'd recommend putting some sort of hill in at the end of your long run as well if you can

JD - 100's already and it's not even holiday time yet top 3 this year?????

Brer - looks like you'll be going for a prize too love the description of the checkpoints

6 miles for me yesterday (mini taper for Saturday) Mr C came as well thinking he'd have to turn back at some point but he made it all the way and not many walk breaks were needed either.  Most importantly no extra pain after or today so he's very happy

17/06/2013 at 16:57

Not too sure about all this talk of me storming to the summit but I will definitely make it

Just been for a lovely run along the beach

well done at hardmoors Brer!

Are you tapering for TMW Chrissi?  Well done to Mr C

17/06/2013 at 21:19

Brer- excellent stuff- again!

jenf- wow- that is some hill!

Chrissi- lol at top 3, well done to you and also to Mr C

panad- we are all expecting some storming

5.6 ish m recovery run for me this morning at the crack of dawn and a real confidence boosting run tonight. 1 hour solo MP run on the track- I always find it hard to maintain this as a solo run, so pleased to report that I ran 9.59m in the hour (6.15 av) and it felt comfortable (especially after the first 4m)  considering it was on the back of a 3 figure week and the day after a LR . Early days, but encouraging enough.... 

18/06/2013 at 11:12

Panad - yes TMW half for me this year - forcast at the moment is for rain which i'm quite glad about as it may damp down some of this ******* pollen.  I look like a white rat today

18/06/2013 at 20:19

Hey team, I feel left out! Not at TM this year, loved it last year although only did Half due to injury...next year..the full is calling me. Good luck Chrissi, tis sure a good run, pack the midge spray

Phew jenf..sounds like a plan!

Panad..oh a run along the beach...how lovely. My ideal run especially when sunny however I live as far as it is possible to be from the sea so may have to wait a while. Not long now until Ras Yr Wyddfa and 2/3 of Excalibur team outing.

Jason, you continue to astound me..don't get injured buddy. I would hate to see this fantastic progress go pants up.

Not done anything except walk dog and work since Sunday's marathon. A smallish trot tomorrow evening, Spin on Thursday the taper for Sunday's outing to Shrewsbury marathon. Never done 2 in a week before so really don't know how to play it. It's a practice for the Abingdon and Snowdon double! TRex, any advice???

18/06/2013 at 20:51

brer- I will do my best not to get injured I am actually very careful and sensible (stop laughing!) and back off if I feel tired or get any sort of twinges... Advice on doing 2 marathons in a week: 1. Don't, 2. DON'T, 3. If you insist, do them both slowly and rest up in between, taking on lots of carbs, protein and hydration

5.7m recovery run here this morning which was quite pleasant and 1.30 steady this evening- which was humid and sweaty and insect-filled The 1.30.00 turned out to be 12.31m tonight (7.19 av) Intervals tomorrow before recovery day on Thursday

19/06/2013 at 09:25

4.5 miles in CyB last night it also was hot, humid but suprisingly insect free - they are probably planning a mass hatching on Friday night

kind of sad it is only the half i'm doing and not the full but hey ho will make next year even more fun  

19/06/2013 at 09:49

brer - Hardmoors sounded like a tough one so don't set any time targets for Shrewsbury.  A seasoned marathon runner like you shouldn't find any difficulty with consecutive weekends but I wouldn't make them both maximum intensity.

In October I hope to run eyeballs out at Abingdon, but SNOD? we shall have to wait and see.  I do need to get back under 4 hours, though.

Up to 10 miles now with Archie.  Enjoyable run with him on Monday of about that distance, and he was always trotting slightly ahead even though he didn't have a clue where I was taking him (a trail run).

One thing though - I have to lift him over most stiles which is a bit embarrassing.  Going to have to train him to jump them.  Border Collies should be able to, shouldn't they? Better go over to the SNOD ultra thread and ask Collie Dave and Fellrunner ...

19/06/2013 at 19:57

T Rex- good to see Archie settling in well I must remember to enter Abingdon next year- I have meant to do it for the last 3 years- but every time I check entries aren't open, and then the next thing I hear is that it is full!

Chrissi- well done on the hot and humid run. All the insects have migrated here from CyB, I think

4.xm recovery for me this morning and then ran a pyramid session tonight- 200/400/600/800/600/400/200 off 200 recoveries. Speed was supposed to be between 5k and 1m pace and with them all coming in at between 5.28 and 5.00 pace, job done - last 200 was the fastest rep too   Recovery day tomorrow.

19/06/2013 at 20:49

Cheers for advice buddies. Just done a very steady 14 miles in 2 hrs, Spin class tomorrow, 3 miles Saturday morning and we'll see how that pans out on Sunday

TRex, my nutter dog is forever jumping stiles that are really too high for him so I have got him into the habit of foraging about around the side to see a way through the hedge..lots of treat etc. Not always possible but Archie make learn to try and seek a way through for himself.

Chrissi...those midges last year..jeepers!

Jason, no idea what a pyramid session is but I'm sure you did brilliantly!

Dog just puked up on kitchen floor..must go

xx

20/06/2013 at 00:34

brer - farmers in my area seem very keen not to let their sheep escape so quite difficult to find a way round.

jason - Abingdon usually opens on 1 Feb and fills in about 3 weeks.  Always attracts a fast field.  The course, although relatively flat, is quite twisty and turny, but still makes a good PB course.

Pyramid sessions are serious rocky hill climbs of several hundred feet and then a ludicrous descent.  Usually undertaken in hot countries.

20/06/2013 at 11:19

hmmmm how long before we're having tales of Archie leading you astray and you both getting 'lost' together TRex?!

Have a good time at the TMW half on Saturday Chrissi - hope the rain keeps the midges away!

And try and take it easy at Shrewsbury Brer - I've noticed the times you 'take it easy' you end up with a new pb or close 

20/06/2013 at 12:25

TRex, I feel a shaggy dog story coming on..

Panad, beach runs are def my favourite, but I really need to get more hills into my plan. aagh! do I really need to run up them at the end of a run Chrissi? hmm looking at the elevation of SNOD, yep, I suppose I do.

Good luck at weekend Chrissi / Brer. Hope weather is favourable.

JD you've done some great sessions recently, enjoy the recovery day today.

1,301 to 1,320 of 2,406 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.