Snowdonia marathon 2013

Camaraderie rules

141 to 160 of 2,406 messages
11/11/2012 at 08:32

Hi all, not wanting to wish away my life, but I am really looking forward to the events I have planned / entered for 2013. The list so far: 

1. Rome Marathon.

2. Lakeland Loop ( Cycle )

3. Fellsman

4. Consiton Tri

5. IM UK 

6. Snodonia Marathon ( TR, put me down for 3. 30 hrs please )

Focussing on today, I am going to the local rememberance service followed by a couple of hours on the bike and a run.   

I have also entered the Tour de Helvelyn which should be a fitting conclusion to 2012.

11/11/2012 at 14:20

Hi All - just popped in to let you know i'm still alive - just - rotten, stinking cold got me today is the first day in a week i've felt human.  Not sure if running is going to happen anytime soon as everyone else i know who've had this have taken at least 2 weeks to recover fully  i'll be practicllay starting from scratch again

But glad everyone else seems to be up and running and planning next years adventures.  I've already entered TMW 1/2 and have promised George the organiser i'll do Race the Train next year (30th anniversary for them) - no other plans as yet though.

11/11/2012 at 16:17

Sorry, re my previous post, I meant to type remembrance service, silly me. 

11/11/2012 at 19:11

Sorry to hear bugs are hitting folks, hope you feel better soon.

Fair play Stephen, fail to plan, plan to fail..and all that!

So far, plan for my 2013 is:

Jan/Feb ?

March  Ashby 20

April VLM

May White Peak marathon

June?

July Thunder Run 24

August?

September   a marathon?

October        Chester or Liverpool plus the mighty Snod.

Well, that's another year done!

11/11/2012 at 19:12
Hi everyone!
Busy weekend here. Gwent League XC yesterday in Brecon and then a very, very muddy hilly trail race today. Won a bottle of wine though for Mrs JD, so worth the effort
11/11/2012 at 20:04

I'm looking at this Great Welsh mara, 21 April 2013.  Anyone done that one?

Enjoying myself thinking about 2013 races at the moment.  Going to cut down on the ultras after this summer's experience.  It'll be just 5 next year and about 4 marathons (3 of them in October ).

As long as I'm on target for #100 at SNOD 2014 that's my main aim. A drink for everyone on me so we'd better find a decent watering hole by then.

Good going, jason.

11/11/2012 at 20:11
TRex- I ran the inaugural GWM, but route has changed. Basically it is 2 laps of the out and back Llanelli Half course. Follows the seafront, so scenic views but potentially exposed. However, the last few years have been baking hot! Flat except for 2 railway bridges ( so a total of 8 crossings). Think Andrea has this as Plan B if she doesn't get a club place for VLM ( same day). As for the watering hole, the only problem this year was that it was the ONE weekend when the karaoke wasn't on, but a charity gig. The lady behind the bar assured me that we hadn't sung so dreadfully last year that they had cancelled all karaoke!
11/11/2012 at 20:46

Sodbury Slog today, and blimey it was a slog, SO MUCH MUD!  Did fall over today, TWICE brilliant run though, made Bog & Bryn last week look dry  Weekend off next week which is probably for the best as legs still feeling SNOD.

Plans for next year thus far VLM April, Wales Trail Marathon June, SNOD Oct, then debating between Berlin (if I can manage to get a place) or Loch Ness for Sept, hmmm???

Hoping your feeling better soon Chrissi. 

11/11/2012 at 21:04

Brilliant going again JD, hope the missus enjoys the plonk!

TRex..a drink on you? OK, let's book Caernarfon Castle as a venue

Laudy, would love to do Loch Ness but work prohibits such date

11/11/2012 at 21:14
Laudy- well done! Hope you're hosed down now!
Elan Valley 10m next Saturday hilly, but fun.......honestly.....Hoping for a PB though- cos my 10m PB was the same race last year!
12/11/2012 at 00:24

I'm not booking castles, sorry.

Or you could all come back to my tent and I'll bring a keg of my son's home brew?

12/11/2012 at 09:13

Sorry TR, I refer to that race as the Llanelli marathon - I can't bring myself to call it the Great Welsh marathon!! (there can be only one!!?)

A few months back I said no more flat/Spring marathons and just Snowdonia for me, marathon wise, but I was recently told that the Blackpool marathon finishes in Bloomfield Rd stadium - as a lifelong Blackpool FC fan I don't think I have a choice!? That will probably be my next race (7th April)

12/11/2012 at 13:14

Well after a long absence - (I did the race in 2010, missed in 2011 as I was working abroad and missed this year through a long illness) I am 199% in for next years race and only a strong dose of bubonic plague with complicating factors will keep me away from 2013. I'll be 50 so it'll be a massive personal achievement.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 13:15
12/11/2012 at 16:51

Hi Mr Ben.  I'm afraid most of the usual suspects are still here!  Will be good to have you on board.  Hope the illness has cleared up.

John B - you're quite right.  For Llanelli to use that term is sacrilegious.  So, I've entered the Llanelli marathon.  Flat.  PB attempt?  Who knows.

12/11/2012 at 20:50
Mr Ben! Welcome back
JB- totally agree! Don't Tenby call theirs something similar too? Good luck with Blackpool. I'm sure that the marathon won't be as painful as supporting the footsie team!
TRex- good luck with Llanelli! They also have a half on the same course in the build up, if you fancy it. I'll be there for the Half, but I fear the full will be a little quieter this year, coinciding with London as it does....
I went out for a 5m recovery run tonight and ended up tripping over a bloody great rock on the path! Scraped my elbow, but no real damage thanks to my parachute roll! I even stopped my Garmin as I stopped rolling
12/11/2012 at 21:24

First run on country lanes with headtorch last week - would have been good if my dog hadn't been scared of her own shadow and she hadn't kept crashing into me   some work to do there, methinks!

First XC race of the season on Saturday - 4 miles of mud, more mud and even more mud (plus a small hill and a ditch to cross twice).   Great fun - didn't fall over, didn't get lapped, didn't come last 

Next race - Clowne half marathon at the end of this month (all things being equal ).

12/11/2012 at 21:43

Hi gang..not a lot to report here. Welcome back Mr Ben. Hi SD, are you well?

JD-lol re Garmin..blimey, can't stop the data input!

Got my confirmation email tonight...defo doing TR24 SOLO..thud!!! TRex..need urgent help with a training plan for this!!

12/11/2012 at 22:15
Brer you is madder than a box of frogs

5 miles for me this morning. Then 30 minutes weights
Mr Ben good to have you back.
12/11/2012 at 23:09

Just seen BritNick's 2012 report and photos.  Those race shirts are a bit on the outrageous side.  All mine seem to be black, grey, or sheep poo colour.

brer - so you're actually running a 24-hour race?   Excellent.   How many miles do you think you could do?  An aim for many is 100 but it's a tough call.

In terms of training it's basically marathon training and then for extra time on your feet there are two schools of thought:

1)  Build up long back-to-back runs - to ultimately day 1 30M, day 2 20M.

2)  Single very long runs, but note there is very little if any training advantage beyond 40 miles.  A good way of doing this is entering a couple of ultra events.

I favour method 2) but most it seems use 1) for which I have come across a good schedule - I'll see if I can find a link to it.  To give you a taster the final week is: 4-3-2-rest-rest- (OK so far?)-100-rest.

You'll need to consider nutrition carefully and start eating immediately, right from the outset.  And consider electrolyte replacement (BritNick is the expert on that).

I'll probably be doing this new Cotswold Way event in September which is 100 miles.

12/11/2012 at 23:19

brer - no, those web pages have gone.    A very nice, simple plan, for simple people like me.  If you like I could try to scan my copy and message you with it if you are enabled, but it's asking for IT skills not normally available in the Triassic.  Goodness knows what you'll end up with.

141 to 160 of 2,406 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.