Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Camaraderie rules

781 to 800 of 977 messages
04/03/2014 at 02:38

I'd left my running rucksack at home.

Now what to do??

I contemplated carrying my kit round in a Bag for Life.  Not a good look, nor very practical.

Then I noticed Mrs T Rex had packed all the dog food, bowls, etc in a rucksack. It was black and bright yellow, rather large, and at one point had been given to jnr for school but he had deemed in too uncool to use.  It was made of very thick material with no waist or chest straps.

In went all my stuff and I arrived at the start line with this ridiculous, uncool, doggy bag.  Who knows what sort of chafing it would cause or how stable it would be.

04/03/2014 at 02:58

Surprisingly it turned out not to cause any problems at all!  And even though amongst all the flashy Camelbaks and OMM bags, no-one was unkind enough to comment. Must have thought I was some rookie who didn't know any better!

Another thing I did which I don't recommend was to wear a brand new pair of shoes straight out of the box.  After a few miles I realised they were a little bit too big and by the end my feet were completely mashed.  Going to need insoles in those. 

The start of the race had had to be changed because of the destruction of the car park at Abereiddy and we set out from some farm away from the coast.  Hit the coast proper at Porthgain and then it was a matter of running generally south west and around the shoulder of St David's Head.  The scenery was spectacular, with breathtaking vistas of cliffs and headlands, and inaccessible coves.  The path generally ran as near the edge as possible so in the slippery conditions it wasn't a place for road shoes!!

04/03/2014 at 03:06

Then an inland loop round the local mountain, Carn Llidi, presumably to make up the distance, before the great expanse of Whitesands Bay and the 15-mile CP. Descending towards it I was surprised to see Archie coming towards me closely followed by my good lady wife, who had decided to take a walk in my direction.  The dog eyed my bag suspiciously.  A nice, chance meeting, the only downside being Mrs TR told me the time was 1245. This alarmed me after she had gone - had I really taken four hours to cover 15 miles??  Surely not?

04/03/2014 at 03:07

05/03/2014 at 07:20

Great stuff so far Mr Rex, sounds awesome!

05/03/2014 at 16:40

I'd lost my watch you see, so I was running blind.  Really got a move on after that, but found later Mrs TR had got the time wrong - it was 1145.

After the hard terrain, boggy bits, and lots of stony sections of the first half the second was far more pleasant.  A compacted earth easy-to-follow path for the most part. Stunning cliffs still and spectacular views of the various rocky islands especially Ramsey Island with its one white farmhouse.  I've been inside it - great location.  No pesky neighbours.

Eventually left the coast at about 23 miles for a devious route around St David's, finishing with a loop around the cathedral grounds with the bells ringing loudly and hushed visitors and us runners occasionally passing through covered in mud, salt, and sweat looking anything but holy.

A long climb back to the rugby ground finish (were earlier Mrs TR had got the car stuck on the field leaving behind two craters), a dispiriting number of loops around the posts, and a low-key finish.  The most brilliant lime green finisher's T you've ever seen and stone cold showers.  Well the organising company was called 'Man-Up.'

05/03/2014 at 16:43

Would have been pleased with anything sub-6 so 5:45 was OK for 45/72.

Next race: Connemara 39.3, 6 April. 

06/03/2014 at 14:06

TRex - well done

6.4 miles up and then down last night  

06/03/2014 at 21:51

Sounds like a great start to your marathon celebration year T Rex - brilliant race report  and I'm glad the doggy bag didn't cause any problems.  I'm always paranoid that I'll forget somthing critical (like my running shoes), although the worst thing I forgot was a towel for post SNOD 2010, which I only realised as I got to the showers in Pen-y-pass hostel, so had to grab most of the paper towels and the bin on the way past.....

07/03/2014 at 22:53

Panad - Yeh certainly was a warm 1 last year.My only other race was in 2009,when I disappeared into the mist after 3.5 miles,only to be met by a flying Andi Jones on his way down ! !

T-Rex - Excellent report on an eventful race,think you could write a book ! !

Lucky enough to have fortnights cruise,starting tomorrow,so have crammed 3 X 20 mile runs into last 8 days,plus cloud 9 fell race,felt surprisingly good too,so wont feel too guilty easing back on the training for a bit,manchester marathon in 4 weeks to look forward to. 

07/03/2014 at 23:03

Good training Woody - enjoy your break!

Did my first run today since the lurgy - 6.6 flat miles in the sunshine, felt quite good and knocked a couple of minutes off my route best. Having 10 days off from running was obviously a good thing...

08/03/2014 at 02:32

Me?  A book?!?  I probably could by now.  What would it be called?

Glad you're feeling better, RJ.

08/03/2014 at 20:58

Oh blimey, what a week. Now I have read your full text and I suspect you are very pleased with the outcome given all the problems. So, how many more to 100 Trex?

Glad all is well Jono.

Just returned from Groundhog marathon..phew, a few issues I need to address/remember: a)Vaseline-need it it  b)don't have probiotic yogurt on marathon morning c) try tapering in between marathons!

Anyway, cracked on with this and came in at 3;35, 2nd lady. Due to various toilet stuff and knackered legs/head and hassle, I'm fairly pleased.

JD-good luck tomorrow

08/03/2014 at 23:08

11 more marathons if that's what you mean, brer.  Or one marathon and a 39-miler until the Thames Path 100 (if that's what you mean).

You must sort your nutrition out and then you'll have much more comfortable and faster marathons.  You're still pretty amazing churning out the number of them you do, though.  Your silverware cabinet must be groaning by now.

Who else is racing this w/e?  Rhayader 20 anybody?

09/03/2014 at 15:54

Brer - well done despite  issues (can totally sympathise with you there) did winder if you were there when i saw the facebook piccy.

RJ - glad your back

Woody - belated enjoy yourself how may laps of the deck per mile

Rhayder didn't quite fit into my training plan but a couple of friends did it and loved it maybe next year

I had a lovely sunny 8 miles with Mr C this morning. I'm already on 43 for the month never really thought i had it in me he he 

09/03/2014 at 23:57

Grindleford Gallop done yesterday. Managed 3:24 which is way better than expected and 21 minutes faster than previous PB, a whole minute per mile quicker. Knackered now.

10/03/2014 at 14:28

Lots of good adventures and another of T Rex's fabulous narratives, I see! 

Brer- more marathons v faster marathons seems to be the key question Another cracking result though! 

I have no great adventures to relate about my race. It was 161 laps of the race track at Jenner Park in Barry. Navigation was not an issue. However, if you think it would be boring, you would be wrong. As  you are never more than 400 mtrs away from the entire field, there is always someone to chase and plenty of opportunities for a chat The day was very warm, which caused a few problems to some. I was peeing coke coloured pee when I first got home, but all good after a few pints of water! Anyway, a good day at the office (after a few injury problems in February put the whole race in doubt for me)- 40m in 4.52, second overall and first in Welsh Champs

10/03/2014 at 15:03

Great account Trex

well done Jason

10/03/2014 at 18:52

A track ultra!  I'm learning a lot from this thread.

10/03/2014 at 21:54

4:52??  That's amazing.  40 miles, folks.  And at the same time chatting and filling his face with food.

Yes, you get track ultras, road ultras, coast path ultras, national trail ultras, ultras along canals, ultras in the wilderness from which you might not return.  In fact there's one to suit every taste.  So sign up for one today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.