Snowdonia Marathon 2014

Camaraderie rules

1,181 to 1,200 of 1,218 messages
11/07/2014 at 22:41

Thanks Run Jono and Brer rabbit for the advice.  I am under no illusions about  a PB -just want to it to be do-able without it being an almighty struggle and finish it then figure the next year the challenge will be to attempt to better my time. I am thinking if I can get to mile 22 then allow an hour for the last 4 miles - does that sound about right?  My PB is 4.30 so I'm not speedy but I am quite good at plodding on!  

11/07/2014 at 23:28

SNOD is an odd race. There are sections of serious climb but also lots of fast downhill and undulating sections. Miles 0-2.5, miles 5.5-13, miles 15-22 can be used to pick up time. So my advice would be to practice running up hills and down hills too. Depends on where you live but if you can find a continuous climb of a mile or more it would be very good training. Otherwise maybe if you have a gym then programming a hill session on the treadmill with 1 mile+ climbs would be good.

In SNOD the first climb up the Llanberis Pass is easily runnable as is the climb out of Bedgellert. The final climb is a beast and it's no shame to walk it. Another thing about the race is it's one of the best I've seen for drinks stations. My policy was if somebody offered a drink to take it, same with gels and the isotonic drinks. Be prepared to fuel up continuously as much as you can tolerate and to slow down and maybe even walk through the many drink stations. I did this and overtook many people in the second half of the course who were cramping up, stretching by the side of the road etc... Fuel properly and you'll enjoy the race more - standard marathon advice but vitally important at SNOD

12/07/2014 at 13:36

Thanks InsideForward - that is actually quite reassuring and as you suggest I have started to run up and down long sections of hills now - I can see that the downhill part needs mastering too without wrecking my legs early on.  Ran parts of it whilst on holiday - which is what convinced me to try it - but didn't go as far as the last 4 miles. Thought best to leave that to the imagination for now!

12/07/2014 at 19:03
life is playing havoc with the training here - nothing major, just no time! In two minds whether or not I will start the snowdon race next week, but if i do it will be as a training effort in preparation for the half-brutal tri in September (which involves running up and down the mountain)

Need to get back to some serious mileage....time is ticking away and October will soon be here!
12/07/2014 at 20:52

Oh Panad, its a day out with treats at The Pantry at the end. Just treat it as a jolly

Off for an ultra in Stratford tomorrow. Still a bit stunned by coming first overall at last week's ultra..small field but still chuffed,30 miles in 4hrs 7 mins.

Jono, I'm 48, less of the zimmer frame comments please. Are you doing reservoir marathon in 2 weeks?

13/07/2014 at 11:16
Hi I've ran a couple of marathons 4.05 my last one but never used a hydration belt would anyone recommend using one for Snod or rely on the water stations like I normally do? I carry gels. I expect to be out for 5 hours?!?! Thanks for any advice?
13/07/2014 at 13:19

Hi, thanks for the advice on SNOD, I'm finding it difficult to fit in the mileage, need to buck up, 12 miles later though. Practising on decent hills in this neck of the woods will be the issue, probably a weekly hill session somewhere is the plan. I've just entered the Rivington trail half as a final prep, got to do it, it's my hometown and training ground. 

14/07/2014 at 16:24

I'm back  at 4am with dogs to collect at 9 so feeling seriously knackered now.  Think i may hve a little more excess baggage after 2 weeks all inclusive in Lanzarote but i did do a couple of 4 mile runs (how the hell some of you guys race in that heat i'll never know i settled for some serious spectating at the Fiesta race on Saturday morning) walked up a volcano and a lot of happy wandering along the promenade mean i'm all rested and ready for SNOD training

Katherine - you'll probably be ok with water stations i carried a bottle in my belt last time and hardly touched it

SD - glad hand ok

14/07/2014 at 20:43
Thanks Chrissi, all advice appreciated
15/07/2014 at 01:32

Hi.  I'm still around, although not really running at the moment.  Usually every year work dictates that I have to have a lull period from running from about the third week of May until sometime in July.  This year has been frantic and the workload looks to continue almost to the end of this month. I've been going out with the dog on a few hilly runs but no proper training as such.

Got 8 marathons to fit in between now and SNOD and another one looks like being a casualty.  Eldest son has entered Race the Train and challenged me to come along and run with him and his mates.  Didn't take long to decide to accept but it makes it tricky doing a planned marathon next day especially since he also wants me to climb Tryfan with him that day by 'a difficult route'. Since he's quite a decent rock climber I'm not sure what he has in mind.

He's off to the States to live later this year and since this could be the last chance for a long while to do anything like this with him I'm off to Tywyn on 16 Aug.

Good to see some new faces on the thread (as well as the old ones!)

15/07/2014 at 10:21

hi all.  I did this last year and am going back, got the bug.  I started my schedule last week, mentally trying to see where a 12 miler will fit in this week.....it must it must!

Katherine I didnt carry water last year, only gels.  It was fine so I agree with Chrissi!

17/07/2014 at 20:46

Hey, Snod forum welcomes back TRex

Race the Train...fabulous..go, go, go. But, can you fit 8 more in before Snod? Of course, I'm doing 4 in the next 2 weeks

17/07/2014 at 21:10
Thanks Wabo, I don't really like hydration belts so I'll go
with the advice, just need to get the training done!!
17/07/2014 at 23:10

Katherine Preston - have just invested in a Nathan race vest with 2 L bladder, female design, very light and it was recommended to be bounce free so looking forward to trying that out at the weekend. I don't like carrying water on a belt either and in fact never carry water during races but am finding it impossible to carry enough for a long run on a belt and prefer to sip as I go so hoping this is the solution.  Hilly race on Saturday so will do long run on Sunday over Dartmoor, thunderstorms permitting!

19/07/2014 at 10:52

Panad - are you doing Snowdon today ????? good luck if yes

Brer - and anyone else racing (or even long running) this weekend hope the weather doesn't cause too many problems.

We've just had a few rumbles first thing this morning so far but plenty of rain but the BBC map for 4 o'clock looks a little scary - hopefully ok tomorrow as i'm off to investigate a new route

19/07/2014 at 17:06

Well,I'm sitting here witnessing the most amazing lightning storm. Have marathon tomorrow but forecast better.Hope Panad is ok if there were storms over Snowdon. Glad you had a good holiday Chrissi,can't wait for mine

21/07/2014 at 19:20
Torquayrunner thanks for the reply and how was your race and your Nathan race vest? Hope all good
21/07/2014 at 22:34

Katherine Preston -race was fab - running up and down tors on Dartmoor on a sunny summer's evening - how much better does it get! Nathan vest was excellent, very comfortable and didn't make me hot although didn't run until late evening.  Took a while to get used to sucking the water tube but worked well just having sips instead of gulps and going to experiment next time with loading the pockets up with spare jacket etc.  Doing a 22 miler on Saturday so that will be the real test.

22/07/2014 at 10:58

hi all

I did a 5 mile race sunday and then ran back to my car to make it a long run, oh it was so hard to do the extra miles after a race! It was hot too.. Training is going ok at the moment though

well done on your race Torquayrunner

22/07/2014 at 11:14

Bit of a blip over the weekend i blame the weather

To be honest the thought of long runs is scaring me slightly at the moment can't quite get my head around it all

1,181 to 1,200 of 1,218 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.