Snowdonia Marathon

The 25th Anniversary

2,781 to 2,800 of 2,926 messages
28/10/2007 at 16:24

Chees for that Ant.

For those with SKY TV its channel 134

28/10/2007 at 16:27

cheers Chris,

PF-my garmin said 26.42 as well, but they should always read a little long plus never race perfect racing line. i am surprised they say exactly the same though.

JB- if you press certain buttons at the same time it resets them, not sure which one i just press as many as i can together an it springs back to life.

Mmm, just been comparing last years results with this years and for the ones I can find all times are down best by 1:17, worst by 14:18, average is 6:28 (for 5).  Conditions were worst than i thought. Well that's what I am going to tell everyone.

Forgot to say excellent race, no complaints, grate organisation, lives up to its reputation, a must for every serious marathon runner 10 out of 10.  I will be back

28/10/2007 at 16:27

Wellcome home FA, hope you and Mr phil left north Wales some beer.

Well run mate, nice to see you helping out the young ladies too. Think jenny stayed with me to help an old man home.

28/10/2007 at 17:08

I'm home!!  What a fantastic race!!  Yet again Snowdon brings a lump in my throat, whether that is sheer emotion of finishing or the pain that goes with it.

Great to see Shades at the start.  And then in the evening I spied two characters in Rhoobard and Custard 'T' shirts - CD and SZ no less who then introduced me to the master of lists - T Rex!  So good to put faces to names. 

Snowdon just gets better and better and better...no a bad word to be said.  Jayne Lloyd has done a terrific job in the organising and everyone involved, the marshals, stewards, cadets, St Johns, the crowd, the nice ladies serving tea and biscuits - EVERYONE deserves a mention. 

Yesterday was why Snowdon has been voted and continues to be voted the best.  Everyone who crossed that line was a winner.  I will now end my emotional rant!

(Over to you FR!) (Stuff emotions!)  3h 58m.  Happy!

28/10/2007 at 17:11
Hi all. And well done on some brilliant times  
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/images/icons/icon_smile.gif

Well I found this much harder than I thought I would. Felt fine until about 18 miles, started to suffer at about 20 miles, and then THAT hill!!! Wiped me out completely, though I managed to jog/walk up it. But I was NOT a happy bunny on the tarmac descents that followed. I finished in the time I thought I would though - 4.54 (I predicted between 4.45 and 5)

While I can accept the cups dropped around the water stations, I was disappointed to see all the gel wrappers discarded along the road, and on the Waun Fawr section. Disgraceful really
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/images/icons/icon_sad.gif

But a top event. And a special thanks to the supporters and marshalls who stood out in that weather to encourage us all on. Well organised, nice mementos and great value for money
28/10/2007 at 17:22

paulf - no that wasn't me. i don't know whether i was in front from the start or passed you at some point - maybe when you were doing your 'bear in the woods' routine!

come on fellrunner, show yourself just one more time.

rgr - make sure you have the final post on here

28/10/2007 at 17:24
I will be putting up the 'For Sale' sign on this thread in due course, but not before FR has given his race report!
28/10/2007 at 17:26

TJ, must agree with you on the gel wrappers being dumped, if you can Carrie them full I'm sure you can Carrie them empty.

As far as the race, I think one word sums it all up,ARDDERCHOG

28/10/2007 at 17:32
Talking of Gels, laughed out loud just before Waunfawr turn off.  Runner in front of me trod on a full meaty gel and it exploded perfectly (sound effects and all) up the legs of the unfortunate runner on his nearside.  Shouldn't have laughed but it was very funny, alittle bit of light humour made that hill slighty more enjoyable...and if you are out there my apologies if I laughed at you. 
28/10/2007 at 17:53
Anyone know what Channel it is on Virgin Media. If its the BBC Wales channel Im OK but SC4 doesnt sound like a BBC channel.
28/10/2007 at 17:56
Kwaka, its 194 on Virgin Media.
28/10/2007 at 18:44
Cheers Chris but only if you live in Wales apparenty. Its not available anywhere else according to SC4 website. DVD/Video anyone? Will willingly pay postage & costs.
28/10/2007 at 18:50

Chris,

i only drank 1 small glass of red wine all weekend (post-race), then 1 sml bottle of beer with my chinese tonight, Mr.Phil had a few though (and deserved them after his acrobatics) !

1st lady ran very well considering it was only her 2nd mara, spoke to her during the final descent and her first mara was a 2.58 

On the whole Snowdonia is a tough marathon, and anyone who finished deserves praise.

Funny though, after the race i watched a few hundred or so runners cross the line and then went back to hotel, got unpacked, stretched for about half hour, and had a long hot bath, then as 'mad runners' usually do i decided to go for a recovery run in my running tights and club t-shirt (via Spar shop to get more water), on my return to the hotel people were clapping at me and shouting 'well done',  'you're nearly there',  i didn't have a clue what they were on about until i passed the road opposite the finishing clock and saw the timer still working and showing 6hrs 41 mins, then as i prepared to cross the road 2 runners came towards me heading for the finish line,  by this time it was getting dark and all the support had gone.  They must've been well and trully knackered !

What did everyone think of the party ??? in electric mountain, i thought it a bit quiet myself and left about 8.30 (or thereabouts) to get some supper. It didn't seem that crowded either.

28/10/2007 at 19:10

FA, when the first lady passed me she said her leg was giving her problems, wish I could run that fast with a bad leg.

I didn't go to the do in the night, I drove straight home, done it in 3:30, hope there were no cameras.

Last man home 7:48, now that's commitment, well done to him.

28/10/2007 at 19:15

Hi all, back home now.

Great fun, felt good until a small cramp attack around mile 20, then Ok run most of the way up W (apart from the steep bits) and started down with circa 25 mins to hit my target of 4.30, down hill all the way  and started to think I was going to do it....  cramp hit, think it was the cold in the more exposed area, sat on a rock for a few mins and could barely walk down the hill.  Got to the more sheltered bottom and found I could run again up the small hill round the back of the village.  Frustrating.  Still - 4.46 for my first marathon in such conditions etc. (and being an old fart) I can't be too unhappy ! 

Thanks to those who said hello on the way round and those supporting on the route. Didn't hang around much at the end as the family were a little drenched (waited quite a while in case I had a flyer)  - brought a bag of roobarb and custard sweets to share out but guess I'll have to eat them all myself

hmm... Windermere, Smowdonia 08 .... maybe I can improve.

Well done everyone !!!!!

Ru
28/10/2007 at 19:47

Congrats all!

Reasonably pleased with my time of 3:27. All went fairly well - given the wind! - until  the descent at mile 24. Legs completely seized up & I really struggled coming off the slopes, particularly the tarmac at the top. Probably serves me right for running up the hill at Waunfawr in the first place!

Garmin tells me it was 25.32 miles. Any advance on 4045 feet of ascent?

JB: if you're still struggling to unlock Garmin: "To power the unit back on, press the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time. Let go of those two buttons, press the power button, and the unit will turn back on."

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmin_forerunner_reset.html 

Trust the R&R is going well for all.... 

28/10/2007 at 20:36

Deb, the 1st lady was just being a wimp! had to keep moaning at her all the way up that massive hill if she would have stopped and walked she may not have started running again! I left her at the top and flew down the other side, must have overtaken about 10 runners. couldn't slow down it was hurting my toes every time i tried to put the breaks on! so if you saw a maroon vest hurtling past it was me, sorry i didn't stop to chat 

On the subject of jell wrappers i threw mine to spectators and asked them to bin them for me, no one minded.

Felt ok at the end and sprinted over the line to get under 3:10, someone on the course told me it was the qualifying time for the Boston marathon ( not that i'm doing it )

my legs are hurting!!

28/10/2007 at 20:48

karl,

Qualifying time for Boston is sub 3.15 i believe  (for us young guns)  

I remember you now...... recall a guy stopping and turning back with the 1st lady runner, then carrying on running, i remember the maroon vest too  !

You both passed me just before the top of the hill, not that you'd recall but i did say 'well done 1st lady runner'  (that wasn't aimed at you btw) 

You did very well to get sub 3.10 then from that point on ( 3 mins quicker than me ) as i too pushed down the hill with the lady runner alongside.  She didn't moan to me, so perhaps you didn't 'charm' her enough !  LoL

28/10/2007 at 20:48

karl,

Qualifying time for Boston is sub 3.15 i believe  (for us young guns)  

I remember you now...... recall a guy stopping and turning back with the 1st lady runner, then carrying on running, i remember the maroon vest too  !

You both passed me just before the top of the hill, not that you'd recall but i did say 'well done 1st lady runner'  (that wasn't aimed at you btw) 

You did very well to get sub 3.10 then from that point on ( 3 mins quicker than me ) as i too pushed down the hill with the lady runner alongside.  She didn't moan to me, so perhaps you didn't 'charm' her enough !  LoL

28/10/2007 at 21:03

It was me moaning at her.

I can't remember the last time i made a woman moan

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.