Snowdonia Marathon

The 25th Anniversary

2,801 to 2,820 of 2,926 messages
28/10/2007 at 21:13

sorry Karl, my mistake.

Did you pace her from the start ?

Btw, that guy calling out to runners at the finish was 'barking mad'  !!!!

He'd be shouting daft things like "you've got 55 seconds to get a sub 5hr 15 min marathon, go on, you know you want to do it"     .................  'bloody crackpot'   

28/10/2007 at 21:15

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. Saw Shades and Hammie before the start and was introduced to flying ant. Stayed at the same place as safety pin - nice to meet you and your friend. Didn't see T Rex - but we did look for you at the start. Met you on the hill last year but no sign of you yesterday, and looking at the results I can see why.

My friend felt really ill from about mile 16 so we slowed down a lot from then on to ensure she could finish. She did really well as it must have been awful feeling like that for 10 miles! We finally finished in 5 hours and some seconds (chip).  Last year was 4.41, so we will no doubt be back next year to give it another go.

Great experience thanks to the organisers, supporters, helpers and fellow runners. Well done to all finishers.

28/10/2007 at 21:34

My Garmin, threw a wobbler just before Beddgelert and by the end it was reporting that i'd ran 37.38 miles.  I uploaded the session to my computer this evening and after importing it into Sanoodi I could see where it had gone haywire.  To resolve it I then exported it as an XML file before painstakingly reading through it to find the bogus trackpoint entries (3 in total).  I deleted these and imported the session again.  Hey presto, it is almost spot on now.

http://www.sanoodi.com/route/mr-skinny/105101/25th-snowdonia-marathon/

My Garmin is the Forunner 301, did anybody else get wacky measurements?

29/10/2007 at 04:21
fh - sorry i didn't get to meet you but brilliant result for you after previous dissapointments earliier this year. must have been our words  of motivation earlier in the thread!!!nice one.
29/10/2007 at 08:44

Great race. I went out too fast up Pen Y Pass and down the other side, got halfway in 1.45, but started struggling at 19/20, kept saying to myself, just 5 12 minute miles for an easy sub 4hr...just 4 11 minute miles...just 3 10 minute miles...and then gave up and came in at 4.02. Not bad for first marathon. But plenty of unfinished business to come back for next year!

Loved the descent into Llanberis - I'll keep some in the tank for it next year...

29/10/2007 at 09:08
morning all ... just about back in the land of the living ... 4:45, bit disappointed really as i got to 20 miles at 3 hours, all went a bit wrong after ... i blame the hills.  quads are still screaming at me for running down that last hill ... great race, i think i developed roobarb and custard blindness ... hey ho ...
29/10/2007 at 09:10
Thanks CD, We will definately meet up at the high peak 40, or that damn dovedale dipper!!, its been good to chat through ladybower and snowdonia, and thanks for all the support, I am still gobsmacked by my time, but if I have to put it down to anything its that I was having a gret time and enjoying it, I didn't let the doubt creep in and it worked, so my tip for 2008, enjoy the run and smile a lot !!
29/10/2007 at 09:16
fh - if you fancy another mild challenge there's the roaches fell race (meerbrook near leek) in 2 weeks time . 15miles and a lot of up and dowm but all off road.
29/10/2007 at 09:27
What date is that I will see if I'm off.

Has anyone out there done the Belfast marathon, if so, whats it like, thinking it might be a laugh as they have a relay as well.

29/10/2007 at 09:31

fh - 11nov 10.30 (£3.50 i think). here's some stuff

A 3700ft climb and 15 miles weren't all the runners tackling Roaches Fell Race, near Leek, in Staffordshire, had to endure on November 13 as the local cows ...
www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2594&v=2 - 51k -

29/10/2007 at 09:36

its looks as if you are able to watch the highlights on the S4C website after its been shown this evening.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_index.shtml
29/10/2007 at 09:53

Anyone see the nutter with the big army rucksack..it looked very heavy...must have been loads of jelly babies in there.....

29/10/2007 at 09:57

Hi all.

I feel like doing this run next year. The furthest I have ran is half marathon (after which I vowed never to do a marathon) do you reckon I coul be ready for next years?

I think you're all crackers but I had a look at the photos, saw the results of some of my feloow club runners and feel inspired to give it a go.  Should I do a crappy marathon like London first?

29/10/2007 at 10:15

stuff london

(sent on behalf of fr!)

29/10/2007 at 10:22
I was sat by the nutter with the 40lbs rucksack on the bus up to the start. The worrying thing was that he hoped to come in under 5hrs! I cant recall his number to see how well he got on....
29/10/2007 at 10:31

Hi all, that was a lot of fun wasn't it!!

I was running with Mark my clubmate doing his first, he was looking for around 4 hours which suited me (did a pb at Leicester 2 weeks ago-didn't want to push it and 4 hours is about my average at Snowdonia).  So we were on pace past halfway then he started struggling with  back problems.  Kept going though, and managed to finish in 4:14:38 while I was a few seconds in front (ok-I left Mark behind about 100 yards to go).

Really nice to meet up with people and I got presented with teh 100 marathon medal at the awards later on.

29/10/2007 at 10:36

PaulF - so what was in the rucksack - a big thermos?

29/10/2007 at 10:47

CD & FH - if you decide to do the Roaches I hope you get better weather than we did yesterday. I did the Passing Clouds FR which also goes through the roaches and on the paths you just had to wade through knee deep mud. Hardly any firm ground. Sore calves and quads today.

I dont think it helped much that I ran 6 miles of Snowdon and cycled over the last hill to support.

29/10/2007 at 10:51
well done ultra hammie! what a great marathon to be your 100th ... i had been saying that i wouldn't do it again but now 48 hours on starting to think i could do with a set of coasters!  might see you next year.
29/10/2007 at 10:54

Huge congratulations Hammie.  I am determined to join you one day (within the next 5 years).  Sorry we missed your presentation, but we hope to see you soon. You know you have to work for the '200' pin now don't you?!?!

Best wishes

One Blue Leg & Co

2,801 to 2,820 of 2,926 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.