Snowdonia Marathon

The 25th Anniversary

81 to 100 of 2,926 messages
10/04/2007 at 13:22
Caterpillar Girl- you have mail!

Toomuch... You dont seem to have the "email member" tab activated on your profile. If you enable it or pass on your address I will forward the course profile. In terms of your long runs Id go with the advice of shades. Definitly try and enter a half or even better a 20m race on the approach to the marathon. It will be good for training, but also good for your confidence in having already covered a good length in a race scenario prior to Snowdon.
Another option is to use one of the RW marathon programmes suitable for your current standard. I have used them in the past, and as long as you do your best to stick to them each week (which is always hard!) then you should be well on track to your goal.
10/04/2007 at 14:35
Sorry forgot to mention I'm already in the GNR on 30th Sept! Thanks Shades - I've sort of lengthened out the Hal Higdon one as it appears to be fairly sensible - but I'll have another look at it and re-work so I don't wear myself out. Agree it might be a bit much increasing each week and as have the time may be best to increase bi-weekly.

Poss looking into another half around end July time, to give an earlier goalpost.

Mr. P. Think I've enabled the email thingy... address is nikkicattrell@hotmail.com anyway. Thanks :)
12/04/2007 at 14:10
Hi All,

Application in the post as I write this.

Should be fun.

Clive - if you are out there 'lurking' then I suggest you get your application posted and we can see how we go on the day...you are still going to do this aren't you?

12/04/2007 at 19:09
Have posted my application too...

and booked accommodation for Fri and Sat evening...

can't wait!
12/04/2007 at 20:11
Application posted... :D

Now all I have to do is start running.... again :rolleyes:

Shall we draft a list of people on this thread who have applied, like there are on other threads...? :D

D
12/04/2007 at 20:32
Fellrunner... just because I've got time on my hands... :D

Maybe I should go do some training rather than being a message board addict!

D
18/04/2007 at 13:02
ANyone know anymore about the post race party? I heard it mentioned, but just wanted a bit more clarification before I choose to book the hotel for 1 or 2 nights. I want to get the booking made early as I struggled last year.

Just found out that Abingdon is cancelled the week before this one, so my legs wont be in that bad a condition for the start now! :)
18/04/2007 at 18:47
Mister Plod - there's always Dartmoor Vale marathon on the 21st if you still want to prepare those legs ready for Snowdonia
18/04/2007 at 18:55
Sounds like an awful lot of driving for me to get to dartmoor shades. Are you doin it yourself?
18/04/2007 at 19:29
i have the application form for snowdonia but dartmoor would be a lot closer for me(can you get entry forms for dartmoor yet?) has anyone done dartmoor?is it as hard and hilly as snowdonia?i havent done either,but they both sound great!!!
18/04/2007 at 19:50
Mister Plod - Dartmoor Vale is only a one mile drive from my home! And I have to support my local marathon, don't I?

taffyduck - Dartmoor Vale is not run over Dartmoor but 2 laps of mostly rural roads from Newton Abbot, not hilly, undulating course and not really scenic. Haven't seen any entry forms yet but there is RW online entry. Also 10k & half marathon.
There is no contest Snowdonia is a stunning marathon course.
19/04/2007 at 15:34
Taffy, ive neve done dartmoor but i suggest doing snowdon! its usually quite a drive for most people, but read the RW reviews from other people that have done it and Im sure you'll agree!

Shades, I think I might be joining the merry band of other abingdon entrants at leicester on 10th October. Slightly closed to me that dartmoor so less weary legged driving afterwards!
19/04/2007 at 16:32
Mister Plod - yes I'm doing Leicester too, pity about the course change, I loved the old Leicester course.

fr - I've never done Cape Wrath, is it off road?
19/04/2007 at 18:35
I take it the course has changed from when it used to start at the Caterpillar HQ then? I did the half a few times, but have not done a full at leicester before. There is also Wolverhampton to consider as another local one for me in the run up to Snowdon.

Spoilt for choice, although the scenery in leicester and wolverhampton is somewhat different to Llanberis!

Entry gone yet taffy?!
19/04/2007 at 22:32
I did the Snowdonia last year and it is a fantastic race. The hill doen from Waenfawr to Llanberis is a bit of a killer on the legs though! I also live close to Snowdonia so if anyone wants course info I can help. I have cycled the route loads of times in my youth. Hopefully will be doing the race again this year running for the Eryri (the Welsh name for Snowdonia) Harriers this time so I better do well :)
19/04/2007 at 22:44
I'll be taking a drive out there within the next couple of weeks so I can see what I have let myself in for my first marathon.

I am sure of the route apart from the last bit when it appears to go off the main road!

Any help would be appreciated.

I use the realbuz Flora London Marathon run route planner and have searched to see if the marathon route is there, but can't see it. If anyone knows where I can find a map of the final bit of the route, it'd be appreciated.

D
20/04/2007 at 06:33
Damian, you not allowed to drive the offroad section over Waenfawr. You maybe able park half way up the hill, just enough room for one car though. I would say it is best to park in Waenfawr and then "experience" the whole hill/offroad section into Llanberis, or probably better still park in Llanberis and walk it backwards. It is a good idea though to recce how steep the downhill bit into Llanberis is it hurt my legs!
20/04/2007 at 08:12
Well they've taken the payment... I guess this is it now..

dpryce - I think I've just clicked where the downhill is... does this turn into a tarmac road about half way down with a tea shop on the right (as you come off?) or am I thinking of another track?
20/04/2007 at 08:32
Nah ignore me just checked on the OS map - I'm thinking of the track that follows the train. Similar sort of gradient though so I've got an idea now.

Time to start running down some hills me thinks! :)
20/04/2007 at 13:16
hi Toomuch yes if they have taken the money you got to run ;) Lets hope its great weather again it was last year. See you at the start perhaps, i will be the small guy in green!
81 to 100 of 2,926 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.