Snowdonia Marathon

The 25th Anniversary

101 to 120 of 2,926 messages
20/04/2007 at 13:46
Uh oh! I'll be the one crawling in at the end..

Yes I'm definitely praying for the weather - have been stuck on that mountain in some horrendous weather before now!

Which brings me to a rather good point - what on earth to wear?
20/04/2007 at 14:04
Damian - try a local OS map of the area or multimap.com shows all the roads and footpaths. If you get the route from the marathon site, you can pretty easily follow the whole route, including the last leg. You will also get an idea of the gradient from the contours. :)
20/04/2007 at 19:59
Best of luck in FLM Toomuch.

I remember reading the write up on Snowdon in RW November issue....... I think that it says that there is more uphill running in the first 4 miles of Snowdon (before you have even turned the first the corner) than in the whole 26.2m of London!

Theres one for you to ponder as you trawl around the crowded street of the capital!
20/04/2007 at 21:06
Erm - not actually doing the FLM - might watch it on telly with a cup of tea after my LSR on Sunday.

Sorry to disappoint, but not sure where that's from!
20/04/2007 at 21:32
Havent sent off entry form yet,still torn between dartmoor and snowdonia?!!!Oh what shall i do????Just so worried about snowdonia as its hard and hilly although a beautiful course, like you said mister plod you cant compare with FLM with all those crowds and running with that mass of people and no scenic route!!!! got to make mind up soon .Is there a limited entry number for snowdonia?
21/04/2007 at 00:37
S'mae dpryce,
I've entered the race this year - though was torn between it and the Anglesey one!would agree with what you were saying about recce'ing the Waunfawr section. I ran up the Llanberis pass on Thursday and I'm hoping to run through Beddgelert on Monday - I'm lucky in living/working in/around the Snowdonia area!
21/04/2007 at 03:57
S'mae i chi hefyd John :) I've just entered online now too was going to leave it a bit longer ie until after the Anglesey marathon to see how my legs were, but what the heck i managed them both last year ha ha. It was a lovely day Thursday hope it is on Monday too have a great run!

taffyduck Yes there is a 1500 limit and it was reached last year.
21/04/2007 at 04:03
John Bach By the way are you the same John who contacted me about the Colwyn Bay AC on Fetcheveryone? If you didnt join them you should think about the Eryri harriers they run every Thursday from Llanberis, mostly offroad though as i understand.
21/04/2007 at 08:51
That's me dpryce - thanks for the info, but with family commitments and our rural location I still think it's going to be a year or two before I join a club. I would have liked to have done Anglesey, but it is the week after our village race (the hilly 12.5km Ras Fawr Llanddoged) and I told my wife that I would only do one marathon this year!
21/04/2007 at 09:50
Hi John good idea keeps the peace ;) piece of your legs intact that is! I might try and do the Ras Fawr as a warm up just take it easy round ;) see you about on the roads maybe sometime hwyl!
21/04/2007 at 16:28
mister plod i have sent my entry form off today!!! Has anybody done RHAYADER AROUND THE LAKES 20 RACE how does this one compare with snowdonia?
22/04/2007 at 11:06
Morning all, sat watching FLM after running Paris marathon last weekend.

I am going to join a running club soon for help but I wondered if any of you had some top tips for preparing for this years Snowdonia.

Last week was my first marathon (4.57.38), I under estimated how tough it really would be and was a bit disappointed with my time.

I have entered for New Forest marathon (about 6 weeks before Snowdonia) and Snowdonia and I am 100% determined to break 4 hours.

Many thanks for your top tips!
22/04/2007 at 16:09
Toomuch... sorry about the confusion!

I emailed the course profile to both yourself and Caterpillar girl, and one of you replied saying that you were doing FLM at the weekend. So as your actual names are different from your forum names I clearly didnt know who was who! So, by a process of elimintation I hope Caterpillar girl did well at London today!

Glad to see youve posted the entry Taffy!

Strawberry, I dont think that there is any magical way to prepare for Snowdon. I have always found that as long I do the decent distances in training (as per any other marathon) and try to incorporate a few extra hill sessions or hillier runs then you should be well prepared. Ive only got a couple of half decent hills around me where I am, so I certainly dont even get near to training on hills that are either as long or steep as those found at Snowdon. ON the flip side, the downhill at the end is equally as yough on the quads as the up bits!
22/04/2007 at 20:40
Thanks Mister Plod,

I went to speak to the guy in my gym this evening and he told me where I had probably gone wrong in terms of my preparation which was I didn't do any speed work to raise my lactate threshold.

So from now on I'm going to stick to the regime I downloaded from the marathon schedule section and go out and do some fast reps a couple of times a week and some work on the strength of my legs in the gym

and find some good hills to run up and down and up and down and up and down.........

I have figured out that it's not quite as simple as churning out mile after mile but that has certainly given me a good base to work on.

I think I'm going to sprint up every staircase I see and that will probably help too.

If you see someone flying up stairs in your local shopping centre leaving their wife stranded at the bottom - it will probably be me!
22/04/2007 at 20:50
Thanks for the elevation.. it doesn't look as bad as I feared.. I know the area pretty well anyway. Just need to get the miles in..
23/04/2007 at 08:25
I entered this last year but had to pull out (too many injuries/not enough training)

To try and get ahead of the game I want to start a structured training plan now rather than 4 months before the run. Does anyone know of a source for 6 month long training plans.

for all other first timers - i ran the first hill last year on a training run. It's not as bad as you'd expect if you run slow and steady and the scenery is breathtaking!
23/04/2007 at 10:06
Hi Jakes

I've taken the Hal Higson 18 week plan and stretched it out a lot! I don't know what level your at, but as a novice I'm currently working on 1 week increase 1 week easy ramping this up later on in the summer to 2 weeks increase one week easier. Main thing for me is to get the mileage in regularly whilst avoiding injuries and burning out too much. This is my first so I'm trying to be careful so make it there in one piece.
23/04/2007 at 23:34
Hi, all thanks for the feedback about the end of the course. I think I have got it sussed now.

My mum is visiting next week from London and when she said she really didn't have real preferences about what she wanted to see or do, I suggested she might like a drive out to see Snowdonia. She was up for it. I've not told her I have an ultra motive. Don't know how impressed she'll be when I leave her sat in the car while I run up this "little hill." Maybe I could walk it with her?

It could all go to pot anyway, because my fiancé has suggested the Lake District might be more interesting!!! :rolleyes:

I watched the FLM on Sunday thinking - "that could have been me." I didn't get through the ballot and had too much on to do the charity thing. It's a life long ambition for me to run it (and the reason I started running), since I used to stand in my front garden when I was younger, and watch the runners going by.

I checked with my bank today. I sent my app off on the 7th April and the cheque still has not been cashed. Those of you who have had your cheques cashed, how long did it take? I'm getting a little worried. Do you know if the organisers are quite approachable for a phone call?

D
24/04/2007 at 07:11
Hi DM

I wouldn't worry about the cheque - send my form/chq off 2nd wk in March - chq cleared 4 days ago. I'd give it a week or two, the perhaps just drop them a quick e-mail (something I was considering doing last week - I would have been gutted if I missed out on the race because of my entry form going missing!)

Weather in Snowdonia yesterday was completely different to the FLM - I ran from Nantgwynant to the top of the climb out of Beddgelert and back and got absolutely soaked. Loved it though!
24/04/2007 at 12:57
DM I sent my cheque off over a month ago and it only went through the other day so I would hang fire before chasing, although I was in a panic myself for a while.

I am just back from running London. What a contrast to Snowdonia. I ran Snowdonia last year as my first marathon, London was my second. I think Snowdonia wins hands down. London was wall to wall noisy crowds cheering and clapping and the route is all through built up areas. Snowdonia is beautiful countryside and the odd pocket of support. I know London was hot, which did not help, but due to poor preparation caused by work committments, I took 15 minutes longer in London. I would do the FLM again but if I had to choose I would pick Snowdonia, without a doubt. Certainly in 2006 we were lucky with the weather.

101 to 120 of 2,926 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.