Snowdonia Marathon

The 25th Anniversary

141 to 160 of 2,926 messages
25/04/2007 at 19:13
Wharfedale plodder

Pete's eats, big tee mugs, nice fry ups, not bad prices, when its full tho takes a fair while to get your grub! I would recommend Henfaes hotel in Criccieth but only because I own it ha ha. Actually we're probably closed the week before as I need a bit of a rest before the run ;)
25/04/2007 at 19:21
Fancy closing your hotel just when we're all going to be there....probably not a bad idea tho'.
25/04/2007 at 19:24
Belper 30k looks lovely... will check the calendar! Not too far from me at all! :O)

John - shame you can't make any more races.. though I guess living there has its consolations - its a beautiful place. Personally I'd rather have a pile of kids than be able to run lots of races, but something's aren't meant to be. Hee ho.
25/04/2007 at 19:29
dp - photo's on your website look lovely anyway :)
25/04/2007 at 22:08
Thanks Wharfedale, been we have owned Henfaes now for over 30 years nearly finished it too ha ha. Criccieth is lovely too...

Shades i didnt do it on purpose honest!! It will just have been a long season by then and I also work in a cancer research centre in Bangor so I sqeeze all the training I need into that week before the race ha ha if only that were possible!

To anyone looking for accomodation, you should consider staying in Criccieth its a lovely place. Plus its only about 30mins drive to the start :)
25/04/2007 at 22:28
What's the website? Haven't told them yet but going to stay with the other halve's family on Anglesey for this one. They're coming to support me whether they like it or not. :)
26/04/2007 at 07:25
For families I would recommend the Travelodge at the services off the A55/A5 turning for Bangor/Bethesda - about 10miles from Llanberis.
(handy access for Anglesey Toomuchtoodo - just carry on along the A55 and over the bridge)
26/04/2007 at 08:51
John, I stayed at that travel lodge last year. It was ideally placed in the A55 with a big pub on site. The only downside was that eventhough I opted for a non-smoking room their ventilation system was clearly on the blink so we were treated to a lovely smokey aroma overnight. lovely. other than that id probably opt to stay there again!
26/04/2007 at 08:52
Hi all,

Well according to this mornings bank statement i am in. I did the race in 2005 and had one of the best days of my life ( for me a much better experience than london).
I am going up to Snowdonia for a long weekend in May to get some training in. I am planning to do sections of the course , but I would also like to do some off road/trail running. Has anyone any suggestions?
Cheers
26/04/2007 at 09:22
Mister Plod
In Wales it is now law that all public places are "smoke free" zones - the smokey aroma should therefore be a thing of the past!
26/04/2007 at 09:49
Hurrah! Nice to see your in Moggy :)
26/04/2007 at 16:29
Cheers MP :-).

I am really pleased to be 'in'. Hadn't heard and kinda assumed I would have got in but it was very good to have confirmation.

I reckon I will stay at Pen y Pass YHA again. I liked the bar!

Started training for hills this week. Not an easy task when home is in the middle of the Fens. How is your training going?
26/04/2007 at 16:45
aunt moggy - try running up the mountain and back down. there is the other snowdon race but not sure when it is.

mr plod- evening all. fancy seeing you here too.
26/04/2007 at 17:20
I get about a bit Dave!

Moggy, the training is a bit sporadic as always! Some weeks im looking at 35-45m, and others I do about 3!
26/04/2007 at 17:22
Collie,

if you mean running up Snowdon and back down again, I think that is a little beyond me! I think the Snowdon fell race is in July. Any suggestions for something a little less demanding?

Lovely dog.
26/04/2007 at 18:39
Well moggy, the belper 30k in Sept is looking promising?> on off road 18miler 4 weeks before snowdon whould set you up a treat! eh dave!
26/04/2007 at 20:27
I did Belper last year Mister Plod. A really nice run, well recommended.
26/04/2007 at 20:34
cool! count me in then! what kinda time can we expect? much more than an 18miler on the road?
26/04/2007 at 21:32
I did 2 hrs 45 mins for the Belper 30K last September. My best 20 mile road race last year was Stafford in March in a time of 2 hrs 29 mins. I might have been fitter for Stafford than Belper, but I'm never totally unfit, so I'd ony expect my Belper time to be 5 mins slower (than if I'd been fitter). Hope you get my drift Mr P and hope that's helpful. As I say, Belper's a nice event, the course is run on really nice trails, and although there are some hilly bits, they're all runnable.
26/04/2007 at 23:53
Sounds good, but excuse my ignorance, where is Belper?
(I live in Norfolk, we don't get out much round these parts!)
141 to 160 of 2,926 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.