South Downs Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K

Getting to Queen Elizabeth Country Park

1 to 20 of 315 messages
20/02/2012 at 21:45

Hi I would be travelling to do the half marathon from central London / is it possible to get here by public transport?  And would I have to stay somewhere nearby as would be fairly pushing it to get there on the morning? Thank you anyone who can help!

20/02/2012 at 21:59
I would say you need to stay locally
20/02/2012 at 22:10
Thanks for this.  I think looking at it it may be impossible (a lot to try and organise) without my car which I wont have by then.  Real pity - next year is a must though!  Thank you anyway for the quick response
21/02/2012 at 06:24
I think a lot of other people have coped with coming down by train from London on the day.
You have to get to Arundel station and get a taxi to the start at Steyning college.
It finishes at QE Park and you only need to go there first if you are leaving your car there.
21/02/2012 at 16:12
How far are the start and finsih apart?
22/02/2012 at 06:29
Seriously Pantman?
26 and bit miles!!!
22/02/2012 at 11:45

Boom, and indeed, boom, Limper!

I meant, obviously, between the start and finish locations for transport, not the following of the race route!

22/02/2012 at 14:40
Pantman wrote (see)

Boom, and indeed, boom, Limper!

I meant, obviously, between the start and finish locations for transport, not the following of the race route!

still 26.2 miles although more than that if you follow the main road!
22/02/2012 at 18:44
Quite a lot more by road. Although flatter!!
23/02/2012 at 07:46
Is it not Slindon College?
23/02/2012 at 08:11
Does anyone know if the marathon fills up quickly? I'm doing a marathon in April, but really fancy doing a leisurely trail one. But haven't entered yet as I'm not sure how I'll feel by the end of April. Just worried that it might be full by then.
23/02/2012 at 13:02

Don't think it fills up that quickly TBH.

For the OP, the half and 5k start and finish at the QE Park. Nearest train station is likely to be Petersfield and taxi to QE Park.

23/02/2012 at 19:50
@ Sean - yeah, it is Slindon College. Silly ol' frog.
27/02/2012 at 22:07

The marathon - it's doable, I came down by train last year, arrived in enough time for the middle wave. Will be doing the same this year and there's usually a couple of people so you can share a cab.

To get home you can either get a taxi or the (hourly?) bus to Petersfield station. It may be cheaper to get a return ticket to Havant where the two train lines join as this means you can come down on one line (Victoria to Arundel) and return on another ( Petersfield to Waterloo). I've generally been lucky enough to get offers of lifts from lovely folk such as the frog above to the station.

Holly - I've just realised you are doing the half. Should be pretty straightforward getting a cab from Petersfield and you are unlikely to be alone.

The race hasn't always filled up very quickly but has been featured in RW which does tend to speed things up. I've done it since 2008 and it's one of my favourites. weather is usually great too.

28/02/2012 at 21:43
Hi all and helly d this is all really useful so thank you.  And I think you have twisted my arm and I am going to try and just make it down from London on the morning of the race.  How hard is the marathon by the way?  Half marathons are my distance really and I am very comfrotable doing them but I am doing a marathon in march and so thinking I should push myself especially for what seems like such a great and scenic rade as the South Downs.  Any advice appreciated! Oh and sorry one more thing / if I was to do the marathon and go straight to the start I take it they have a shuttle bus that takes peoples bags to the finish line?  Thank you guru people.
28/02/2012 at 23:24

Go for it Holly . It is  a tough race but very enjoyable - unless you are fairly superhuman you will be walking some of the hills but so will everybody else. It was my first marathon and I come back every year.

Although the water stations are good you may want to take extra hydration as it's quite exposed and can get very warm. It's also wise to keep something in the tank for the last 5 miles which are by no means straightforward even if the big hills are behind you.

There is a van to take your bags to the finish (very well organised). You can also get tea / coffee etc. at the start I believe but beware the long toilet queues. 

01/03/2012 at 07:44

hello all...may i join you? am thinking of doing this marathon and using it as a training run. looked at the website last night and the scenery looks amazing and superb!!! also looked very hot !! what were the temps for the this event last year?

hi limper!! *waves*

05/03/2012 at 21:15

Welcome loulabell. I don't want to jinx it but each time I've done this the weather has been sunny but not unbearable (22-23degrees maybe), possibly due to there being a bit of a breeze. Some parts are shaded by trees. I've always just worn a vest and shorts but I would recommend bringing suncream and maybe a cap.

As long as the weather holds out the finish is a good place to sit around on the grassy slopes  snacking and watching others come in.

11/03/2012 at 19:26
Hi all, doing my first half marathon at Reading on 1st April and on the back of a good training run today of 13.6mi whilst still high on my achievement booked a place in the South Downs marathon. Thinking that for upcoming marathons Reading could form part of the training schedule...in case I'm never this fit again!

Now, doing the research after the fact (is there any other way to do it )it looks like it's going to be very hard...is this doable as a first marathon or have I set my sights too high too early. From earlier comments looks like I wouldn't be alone if I walked up some of those hills?
11/03/2012 at 20:17

It's tough but not impossible. i have run the route and all the hills are doable - ie you can run up them. (it bypasses the toughest hills  )

like most of the marathons over the South Downs, there is a fair spread of abilities. I have seen walkers in all of them, some from very early on.

I was thinking of running the half but appear to have had my arm twisted to do other things ... again. Next year, next year. One day I shall run the marathon.

Get your hill training in, you'll need it.

1 to 20 of 315 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.