Southend 10k Classic

http://www.southendraces.co.uk/10kclassic.html

41 to 52 of 52 messages
03/10/2009 at 11:08
I'm in! My PB was in 2004 (58:30) but I'm about 2.5 stones heavier now so I'll be happy just to finish. This is my first race since FLM2007 and I have a place for London next year so this is really just my first warm up race.

Running has been going quite well but not looking at a time for tomorrow - will start (and finish!) at the back. Probably will look at about 1:15:00. Give me a wave once you've all picked up your medals and t-shirts!

I'll be all in black wearing 626.
03/10/2009 at 13:00

I'm also hoping just to get round, my achilles/ankle is still not 100% and I'm supposed to be doing the Tiptree 10 next Sunday.  Also hoping the wind drops for tomorrow, it's really blowy out there where I am let alone along the seafront!

05/10/2009 at 09:26

Fantastic race, really well organised and a great atmosphere.  Bit blowy going out but that's what seafronts are all about I guess.  And it could've been a lot worse, given Saturday's weather.

I managed to track down the results already via powerof10 (athletics data). I don't want to be too critical because the organisation was outstanding, but it does appear that 10/11 secs has been added on to most people's chip time for the official time - given that I was standing on the start line when the hooter sounded, this is clearly a discrepancy.  Anyone know if this is likely to be amended?

05/10/2009 at 09:58
I agree with Phil - great race, nice weather, good atmosphere, good course. Can't comment on the chip times as I started right at the back (low expectations!). I was really chuffed with my 1:06:33 - first race for a few years and I had plenty left in the tank for a grandstand sprint finish!
05/10/2009 at 14:02

PhilPub, I'll be annoyed if that is the case because my watch time 49.56 and a PB. If they put me officially outside 50 minutes I'll cry foul!

Other than that, though, they did a pretty good job of organising things, I thought.

05/10/2009 at 14:10

Oooh I'm annoyed too!  Just checked that results site and it's added 1 min and 4 seconds to my Garmin time!  More than 10/11 seconds for me!!!  It's still a PB but takes some of the shine of it.....

I thought the start was way too congested.  I ran in the cycle lane for the first kilometre or so as I was just tripping up over people.  Anyway I won't winge anymore!!  Well done everyone!!!

05/10/2009 at 14:47
Ok ok ok excuse my previous whinging.....I was looking at the GUN time....my chip time is 1 second faster than my Garmin so well happy!!!
05/10/2009 at 17:12

Totally agree about the discrepency.  My garmin time was 42.25, chip time 42.22 and gun time 42.36!!  I know I started my garmin about 1 sec after the gun went off, and that the clock said 42.28 as I ran under it at the end.

Hmmmmmm.  Well, I am definitely logging it as a sub 42.30.

06/10/2009 at 17:31

I was just pleased to make it round!  My achilles started aching after about 5k so didn't set the world alight with my time but happy enough with it.  Still debating if I'm fit enough to run the Tiptree 10 this weekend......

I normally only pay attention to the chip time (if available) btw....

06/10/2009 at 17:33
And I meant to add, thanks to the organisers and volunteers for all their hard work 
06/10/2009 at 18:35
To all of those people complaining about the additional 10 seonds on the chip time. This was caused by a runner stepping on to the  start mat before the horn sounded.  This has now been rectified on the latest results.
06/10/2009 at 22:25

Cheers David. 

(I'll have a go at him next time I see him.  )

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.