SPARE VLM PLACES OR REMAINING REASONABLE CAHRITY PLACES

A thread to to see what places remain

21 to 24 of 24 messages
14/02/2013 at 15:56

I seem to remember seeing a couple of years ago that the DNS rate was insultingly high, but the DNF figure was relatively low, about 400 (1% or so).

Something like 7,000 golden bond places not registered to start...

14/02/2013 at 16:17

i think the average finish time is about 4 and a half hours, and there are still plenty of charity runners walking home after 5 or 6 hours, so I'd agree with Peter, that once on the start line, the obstacles to completion are low, hence the low DNF %age.

I've said many times that practically anyone can walk around a flat marathon course with thousands of people cheering support, and many people do just that.

I would imagine less popular races, or those that attract more hardened runners, but with less support, probably have lower DNS rates as fewer inexperienced runners will enter some bleak january sufferathon across the peak district.

14/02/2013 at 16:42

I can see why such a high % of people do finish London as for many it is their "once in a lifetime" marathon. They will probabaly never do another one so might as well walk around if the going gets tough. They are also not going for a time so just to finish is a sucess. Even if they have to walk the last 13 miles they have still achieved their goal.

17/02/2013 at 23:26

Did Shadwell get a place then, I heard that the deadline for the charities to register their runners has gone now

I was just been nosey lol 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.