st albans half - june

21 to 40 of 42 messages
10/05/2011 at 15:33

I'm sorry to hear that others aren't doing too well either, makes my cold seem rather pathetic.

I'm seriously looking an alternative race on the same day but a shorter distance. I've missed almost 4 weeks of decent training & not being someone who has a natural ability for running, I think it'll be tough to put in the required training in the next 4 weeks.

I did the St Albans 10k on Sunday & that was a real struggle, did prep me for the hills though!

10/05/2011 at 18:00

I also done the St Albans 10k on Sunday, its certainly a good "WARM UP" for the half it was a hot one !!, i have done the half 4 times , its a hilly one and always hot , but usually well marshalled and always seem to be friendly fellow runners and locals that give plenty of encouragement,

train on some hills and put some mileage in, and u will be fine k8, thats my tip, as there are a couple of gradual climbs, but a good day out.

Good luck to all, see u on 12th June

11/05/2011 at 09:42

Come on K8, couple of long weekend runs and you'll be sorted  

If you're not quite up to speed then you can always treat it as a 10k and walk the rest.  

I managed the Stratford half last weekend in under 1:40 so hope to be in good shape for it although don't expect to be as quick with the hills.  

I haven't got my number as yet but the cheque has just been banked so I'll keep my eye out for it.

11/05/2011 at 10:58
I'm booked in, but no race pack as yet. Looking forward to this: a friend lives in St Albans, so we have a place to park, then a place to go back and shower afterwards before lunch and beers!
11/05/2011 at 14:15

I'm am feeling so rough at the moment, even the thought of a training run makes me feel , let alone doing a half marathon!

I'm meant to be doing Stevington 12k this weekend but it's looking more & more unlikely as the week goes on.

That was a good time for Stratford Loz, get your training in for St Albans & those hills will be painless

I don't suppose anyone has signed up for the Wheathampstead 10k on the 22nd have they?

11/05/2011 at 14:37

I'm struggling to get the motivation for this one. Since I did my first (and only !) marathon in March, seem to have lost my momentum.

Am getting out about 3 times a week, but not done over 7 miles for a while.

I think this race is going to hurt alomst as much as the marathon !!

Peter - bit like you, staying at a mates house so looking forward to the post race beers !!! 

11/05/2011 at 14:56
Claw, I remember when I did my one and only marathon in 1998, I really lost the running bug for months. I think it can really take it out of you. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine soon.
11/05/2011 at 15:11

Same happened to me after VLM last year. The marathon had been my end goal for so long that after I did I felt like whats now, whats the point?

It does take a while to get back into things but it will happen.

02/06/2011 at 10:51

Looks like I will be taking part! Lost so many weeks training due to a bloody cold but over the past week some sort of miracle has taken over my body.

This time last week I was doing a very slow 10k but shattered by the end. After doing a 8 & 9 mile on consecutive days over the bank holiday weekend, my target for this morning was 10 miles but I managed 13.26 miles!  It felt great, tired towards the end but I had enough in the tank to carry on if it wasn't for time constraints.

How is everyone else getting on? Can't believe it's just over a week away, it's come round so quickly.  

02/06/2011 at 12:21

Great news k8.  I had a very good run myself yesterday lunchtime so hoping for good things at St Albans. 

I ran the Fat Feet Woodland event on Sunday and did quite well for a trail run although I died a little in the last couple of miles.

13.26 miles and could have gone further, eh?  Sounds like you need to enter another marathon

02/06/2011 at 12:43

It was a slow 13.26 miles, about 6-7 mins of my half PB but I wasn't fussed about the time, just wanted to see if I could get close to the distance. Lovely start to the day as well.

Well done for the Woodland half, pleased with your time?

VLM has been entered but that the only marathon I'm considering at the moment, I could have done a little bit longer but another 13?!

So as long as we're not struck down with injuries & the weather is nice all is looking good! Well apart from the hills

02/06/2011 at 13:29

Just hope it's not as hot as it was a couple of years ago, absolutely roasting, coupled with the hills.

On the plus side, the finishing line lollies went down very well. 

k8 - good to get the distance under your belt. I managed 11 miles at the weekend, about 8.15 min miles.

Aiming to beat previous time of 1.47 but not holding out much hope...

02/06/2011 at 13:51
k8greene wrote (see)

Well done for the Woodland half, pleased with your time?

I guess so.  I ran 1:42 but it was trail so difficult to compare with a road race.  I'm hoping to go a little quicker at St Albans.

02/06/2011 at 14:48

That's good Loz, but like you say hard to compare to a road race.   

I'll just be pleased if I can run the whole thing, at the start of the week I thought I'd be having to do walking breaks.

Today felt good but apart from one nasty hill it was relatively flat and as I started early it wasn't baking hot.

My focus is on getting the medal, as I used to live there it'll have pride of place! Unless it's crap then I'll just hide it behind the others.

02/06/2011 at 14:53

Well the St Albans medal can't be worse than the Woodland medal, no year or event name on it, very disappointing   

And it was my 10th half marathon as well.  Still I've got to go some to catch up with your haul of medals  

Have you counted them lately?

02/06/2011 at 15:33

Oh no, that's such a shame. I don't expect it to be on the ribbon & engraved on the back but at least one or the other, esp for a half. Well done on completing you're 10th though, St Albans will be my 4th

I counted them when I added the last one a couple of weeks ago but have now forgot , 37 or 38 I think. I do have an imposter on there, London to Brighton bike ride which I don't count in my total.

How many are you up to?

02/06/2011 at 15:57

The event was on the ribbon but no date on the ribbon or medal.  The thing is I'm supposed to be running another Fat Feet event in August so I suspect they'll be giving out the same lousy medal there as well.  I've contacted them about it for clarification as in that case I might ask for a refund but not heard anything as yet.  I think I'm up to 14 medals. It must take you ages getting ready in the morning putting them all on

02/06/2011 at 16:23

14? I assumed you had more. I know they're just as important to you as mine are to me so it's great when the total keeps growing. Have you got your scrap book yet?

The amount of medals I have is put to shame by some on here. As long as I get 100 before I'm 30 I'll be happy.

Is it Grimsthorpe half? Isn't it quite a drive to get there from yours?

03/06/2011 at 09:57

The scrap book is on my birthday wish list next month

I was going to make a weekend of it and pop in to see my sister for Grimsthorpe as she lives in Peterborough.

I've already got a rough schedule of races for next year and quite a few are still reasonably local although I am looking a bit further afield like Bath and perhaps Bristol.

Edited: 03/06/2011 at 09:58
03/06/2011 at 11:59

Happy adavnced Birthday!  I would ask how old but the number may shock me  (  )

Once you have the scrap book, if you can upload a pic if you can.

The more I race, the closer to home I want it to be. Definitely want to do either the MK 10k or half in March. Would like to do the Berko half again & maybe the Watford half in Feb if I'm not on hols. Oh & VLM would be good but like that's gonna happen!

Only managed a 5 mile run this morning as legs were heavy & don't think I could have stomached another 13 miles.

21 to 40 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.