St Albans Review Half-Marathon

1 to 20 of 75 messages
MRF
02/04/2004 at 21:07
Anyone done this one before ? How does it compare to the 10 mile Fred Hughes race held in St Albans every January ?
02/04/2004 at 23:24
I did this a few times in it's early days(about 20 years ago). One of my favourite events,when I ran it it was always a nice day but tended to be hot,A rural course,I seem to remember a longish hill about 4 miles.The first time I ran it there were 2000 entries.If it is still as well organised I would recommend it.
id
08/04/2004 at 17:26
I did this last year.

It's well organised, mainly rural but a few miles near the end on a fairly major road.

I can't remember exactly how many were there, but it was certainly in the thousands.

I haven't done the Fred Hughes race so I can't comment on that.
12/04/2004 at 12:03
Does anyone know where I can get an entry form for this race? I'm having trouble finding details about it.
19/04/2004 at 19:30
If you call 01727 811084 they'll send you one. Very friendly service!!
19/04/2004 at 19:55
Cool. Thanks for that.
19/04/2004 at 20:13
Great race, well worth running
20/04/2004 at 22:10
This was my first half - I did it last year. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good crowds at the end, but very few around the course. A couple of longish hills at about mile 3 and mile 6, if the course is the same as last year....

I'm doing it again this year - a PB to beat
ALM
28/04/2004 at 19:03
Have done this a couple of times in the past and hope to do it this year, along with my brother in law. Good event, often with the participation of John Motson...
Only problem I ever had was getting my car out of the car park afterwards. It took ages. I'll be avoiding that this year.
30/04/2004 at 11:40
Anyone who did this last year happen to know what the winning time was?
Can't seem to find the results on the net
Cheers
Pete
MRF
30/04/2004 at 12:32
John Motson ? He beat me by a single place in last year's Great North Run (we were given the same time). I want my revenge. I'm entering this one.
30/04/2004 at 13:20
Good run but very different from Fred Hughes.

It is in June and is usually hot, it is on the other side of town as well. It runs from Verulanium out on the Redbourn road. It then turns down the lanes and out to the edge of the Industrial estate at Hemel Hempstead before heading dow nto Redbourn and back along the Redbourn road to St Albans, retracing the route form near the Pre to Verlanium.

Usually a lot of runners.

The road back to St Albans is long and a little boring but overall not bad. Motty usually runs along with a couple of other Celebs.

30/04/2004 at 14:03
I am entering this for the first time this year. Seem to have caught this running bug since FLM.
If anyone wants to get an entry form online then try the following:
From www.stalbans.gov.uk
Click on Leisure - Sports
Then click on the picture of 5 coloured people in a circle
It's under the Events section...including an application form....

02/05/2004 at 10:37
fun runs at this one are good too. last year we all had a run each and my daughter was the second girl in the childrens race!
06/05/2004 at 09:11
How bad are the hills on this one? Anyone know if it's easier or harder than the Windsor?
06/05/2004 at 10:32
Done both the 1/2m and Fred Hughes 10m, both run on different sides of the town. 10m alot easier than 1/2m but then the 1/2m is one of the easier 1/2m that I have done. Only recollection of a hill was around mile 7 or 8 when there is a long drag, but other than that it was fairly flat.

Lazyoldbones, this is a trot in the park compared to Windsor. I hate Windsor along with Burnham Beeches and Marlow, but I still do them every year, they are so damn hilly!

I do recall this race also finishes in the park aswell and it is a pretty fast finish too, but getting out of the park was a nightmare. Best park in the town or outside of the park, else spend best part of an hour sitting in traffic, not what you need after a run.

Good luck peeps, shan't be doing this one as it clashes with another local race, as seems to be the case this year for me.
MRF
06/05/2004 at 12:31
Thanks for the guidance on how to find the application form, ICRAM, it was hardly obvious, was it ?! I had a bit of a snigger at the application form, it's the only race I've seen which advertises line dancing as one of the day's events.

Definitely entering (the race not the line dancing), I just hope the day is not TOO warm.
06/05/2004 at 15:50
MRF,
No probs - sorry I couldn't explain it clearer.
Maybe if the day is too warm we should all do the line dancing instead of the run!!

On the weather front, does anyone know how many drinks stations there will be on this run?
06/05/2004 at 16:22
i think there was 3, but you also got an ice lolly at the end!
07/05/2004 at 07:44
Thanks Spoony - Better make sure I finish then!!
1 to 20 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.