St Albans Review Half-Marathon

June 12 2005

1 to 20 of 314 messages
13/04/2005 at 19:57
Anybody else thinking about running the St Albans Half? It's been described as mildly undulating - how does this compare to the Windsor Half? I'm thinking about revising my HM PB there ...

15/04/2005 at 21:29
I want to run this, I live very local. Where can I get an application form from??Are they taking entries on line??
I am trying to find a race to lift my spirits while I watch all my running colleagues get revved up for London, needless to say i did not get a place again!!
16/04/2005 at 13:58
You can download a PDF entry form from here .
16/04/2005 at 18:43
I'm doing this, as are several of my work colleagues.
17/04/2005 at 16:58
I'm in for this one
20/04/2005 at 10:28
Reply to RunningAcolyte;

Done this one more than 10x in last 20 years. After first mile or so there's a bit of a uphill, but after that not too bad hill-wise. Haven't done Windsor so can't compare. Weather always seems to turn hot on the day, and last year the water stations were very poorly organised - first one had run out when I got there - so bring a bottle. Good luck.

20/04/2005 at 13:23
Thanks BP; sounds ok for a PB if the weather is kind ...
21/04/2005 at 20:54
It`s an enjoyable course. There`s a reasonably significant hill after 3 miles. It goes on for about 0.75 miles. Thereafter there is the odd incline but nothing too awful. Miles 9- 12 are run along a long straight road. Undulates slightly (tiring at that stage of the race) and a bit dull. Marshalling is usually good. Water supplied regularly but last year was a disaster - lots of the water stations ran out (very hot). This is not typical. There are various fun runs for kids etc before the main event and generally there`s a bit of a party atmosphere round the start. Good day out. Easier than Windsor.
21/04/2005 at 22:19
I did both in 2003. I liked both courses, but actually preferred this one, although the last part of Snorbens is a mental challenge as it's straight back from Redbourn. I think Widsor was slightly flatter, but neither is too bad. Good atmosphere, and for locals, a really nice event.
21/04/2005 at 22:21
Glenn! Nice to see you again :-)
21/04/2005 at 23:11
You too Helegant! You look stunning in that photo!
21/04/2005 at 23:51
Thanks Glenn. Isn't it amazing how different we all look when we're not puffing round a track? :-)
26/04/2005 at 19:33
I quite fancy the sound of this, since it's fairly local for me (Hertford). Will depend on whether a planned house sale/purchase goes through (... wouldn't it be bad luck if the race date clashed with the move!)
Hess.    pirate
03/05/2005 at 14:19
Entered this a while ago. Still yet to receive number etc.

This will be my first Half marathon. I've only been running for just over a year, and to date have only run in 10K events. So I'm really looking forward to this

Look forward to seeing you all there!!
03/05/2005 at 16:24
This is a really nice one - great fun last year despite the scorching heat and the problems with the water stations. Can't be too tough, as I did it on the spur of the moment, half hungover and with borrowed kit and still managed a PB!
06/05/2005 at 15:56
Hi all, this'll be my first half marathon. I live in St Albans so thought I'd give it a go! I was just wondering if anyone knew the course route - someone mentioned returning on redbourn road. By what route does the run exit st albans? Cheers.
06/05/2005 at 16:03
Might do this, depends on the weather and what else I have on.
06/05/2005 at 16:13
MJ12, you start on the grass m/less opposite Westminster Lodge. Run along the path (non-lake side of hedge) to the Roman Museum Car Park. Through St. Michael`s village and out along the Redbourne Rd. Turn left up Punch Bowl Lane (just opposite `Fudge`) and head uphill for about 3/4 mile. Through a few lanes ending up on the Hemel to Redbourne Rd. Run to Redbourne - turn right at the roundabout (just by the burnt out pub) and back along the Redbourne Rd. Retrace route to start. The run back along the Redbourne Rd is tedious. The last mile through the park is quite fun - lots of support. May see you there.
06/05/2005 at 16:18
MJ12 - meant to add that you ought to wander down to Westminster Lodge on Tuesday (7.00 pm) or Thursday (7.00 pm) - assuming you haven`t already !

The local club `St Albans Striders` meets at these times. Friendly club. There are a number of sessions catering for all levels of keeness and ability so there`s always someone to run with. One group might do 6 miles @ 10 min/mi pace; another 8 miles @ 8`00 pace and so on. There`s also a speed session on the track on Tuesdays and something similar on Thursdays if you fancy working up a bit of a sweat.

Apologies if you have already attended.
06/05/2005 at 17:11
Beetle, cheers for all the info. I used to live in Redbourn and have walked/cycled (not to mention driven) that road hundreds of times, and boy it is tedious! But at least it'll be the home straight (sort of).

Thanks for the info about striders - I've heard of these guys and have been meaning to look into it further. I'm a student in Birmingham at the moment so I'm only in St Albans during the holidays, I shall definitely go along this coming summer.

See you on the 12th I hope.
1 to 20 of 314 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.