Stamford Striders St Valentine 30k

Anybody??

1 to 20 of 159 messages
18/10/2005 at 15:22
Looking to use this as training for the Paris Marathon. Any takers? Any information on previous years?
MRF
18/10/2005 at 18:04
Also interested in hearing previous participants' experiences, as I would use this as marathon preparation if I get into FLM. Besides, I need a 30k PB.

How many entrants, and what sort of times do people finish in ? I couldn't find last year's results on the club's website.
19/10/2005 at 10:19
This years results are on www.ukresults.net
I am planning on doing this one for the first time.
19/10/2005 at 10:36
Highly recommended, and if injuries stay away I'll be there. It's a challenging course as it undulates a fair amount, but it's very scenic, friendly and very well run. Excellent marathon preparation too, if that's what you're after. I'm sure Algie the race director will be along soon to con, ah, er, persuade you of its multitude of charms. :-)
19/10/2005 at 10:42
Yes , I'm planning it as one of my training runs for FLM '06
10/11/2005 at 15:36
BOING!!!! Anyone else?
10/11/2005 at 17:00
I've done this one twice; last year and this year. It's in February so expect cold weather, especially as you are out on the course for a long time.
The course is undulating and on the road, apart from the lap of the school playing field that you do at the end.
This is an extremely well organised event, and ideal marathon preperation. I used it this year when I was training for London, and Stamford was harder than the marathon itself! If you can finish this, then London will be a doddle.
I won't be running in this race this year, as I havn't got a spring marathon planned, but good luck to all of those who are doing it.
11/11/2005 at 09:14
I may be doing this, it's part of our clubs winter league. Not sure if I'm doing a spring marathon or not yet, but I may need the points!!
15/11/2005 at 15:40
I'm planning on doing this as part of my FLM06 prep. Never done it before - this year I did the Muscular Dystrophy 20 in Bury St Edmunds as my February long race, but I fancy a change for 2006. Plus a guaranteed PB is an appealing thought :-)
18/11/2005 at 17:37
I did this last year. Freeeeeeezing cold it was. A good race though, and perfect as preparation for a Spring marathon.

One other side benefit I reckon is that (assuming all goes OK)it is also a nice confidence builder as those long runs get even longer....

Nice long sleeve T shirt too.

I'll be there

MiB
24/11/2005 at 21:09

I did it this year - my first ever race. It was very cold and windy and felt very hilly. The last 5-6k was hell!

But I managed to finish in around 2.36 or so and I think it did me a lot of good. A month later I did the Stafford 20 miler and got a slightly quicker time! And it was part of my training for the Edinburgh marathon which went really well.

Well organised and friendly although, as usual, when you're struggling it feels like nobody else is near you:) And the lap of the school field at the end was cruel!

Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm really not. It just wasn't my day. I'd recommend it for anyone training for a spring marathon.

Think I might go for it again next year and do it better this time.
24/11/2005 at 22:48
It's an excellent race and I enjoyed the fact that it was undulating as this kept it interesting. It is a rural course which also helps take your mind off the distance.

I was also told that this was an excellent lead up to London and that if I got through it then London would be a doddle. I finished this race strongly and was full of confidence going into FLM. I didn't do as well there.

Use this race in your build up as it is a brilliant event, but it is a different style course to London. If you do well here don't think London will be a stroll in comparison.

Unfortunately I'm working this year so good luck to all who do it.
25/11/2005 at 18:14
Hello Valenteenies yes its your old friend Algie the race director of your beloved race our very own 30k rated as one of the top 100 uk races ,lovely race so many runners come back to see us time and time again could it be the scenic flat countryside or perhaps the sexiest marshalls the motorbike hunks glad in tight leather or the gorgeous marshall girls that adorn the course ,as Rickster and others will confirm this is a great race that you will remember for some reason or another ,hope to see you all in February.
love running love the valentine 30k
love and kisses to you all
Algie Audas
Race Director 30k
Stamford Striders
02/12/2005 at 09:19
Hi Valenteenies
Just to let you know that our website has been updated and now has entry form, joining instructions, race map, course profile, and last year's results on-line. So go have a look and see what you are in for: http://www.stamfordstriders.co.uk - and click on the 30K button. Race numbers etc will start to be sent out within the next 10 days - numbers have just arrived from the printers! See you all on the 12th Feb.
LOVE RUNNING, LOVE THE 30K
03/12/2005 at 23:23
Oh um well, it IS hard, let's not pretend BUT that's exactly what you need in prep for FLM, no good pussyfooting about. The bit I really didn't like was the evil lap of the field at the end, it just seemed so unfair! It's hilly, it's long but the scenery is great and so's the atmosphere.

Horrible in a nice kind of way - sort of great in hindsight - Character building!
04/12/2005 at 12:37
Definitely was a great race last year. Shall do it again this year if I can persuade my sweetheart (of 28 years' standing) to join me in it.

See you in Feb.
05/12/2005 at 14:47
Does anyone else find it difficult to enter the site or it just me ? Have already sent SAE for race application forms, no reply yet.
06/12/2005 at 18:08
Paul..... I had the same problem. I e-mailed Algie to let him know, but there doesn't seem to be a problem for many others.

He's sending me an entry form. I'll try to get on the website form home perhaps it's just a problem here at work.
06/12/2005 at 20:03
Hi Hammerite and Paul. Please let me know if you continue to have a problem. Have checked the website and there doesn't seem to be any particular problem but if you continue to have difficulties then obviously will try to sort out what is happening, or not happening. Don't forget that you can also enter online at Runners World http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/registrationinfo.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=27514

Looking forward to see all you sweethearts in Stamford on 12th Feb.

LOVE RUNNING, LOVE THE 30K
07/12/2005 at 08:22
I had problems accessing the website too - persistence paid off for me and by repeatedly refreshing the page I got there in the end...
1 to 20 of 159 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.