Stevenage Marathon 2014

How to enter

1 to 20 of 53 messages
11/04/2014 at 23:51
Ok, I give in. No postal entries, and no entry option on RW, and nothing showing on the dedicated race website. Where should I go now?
12/04/2014 at 19:54

It says on the FV Spartans site "entry details to follow". I'm pretty sure (though I've never done it despite living here) that the half doesn't normally open entries till later in the year

12/04/2014 at 21:05

Well spotted 2W. I just hope they don't re-schedule it now as I've just booked my overnight accommodation.

12/04/2014 at 21:58
It's usually a half. They run a 'Challenge' event 20th July that includes 18, 26.2 mile and 50k trail runs.
13/04/2014 at 18:22
Paul Eastabrook wrote (see)

Well spotted 2W. I just hope they don't re-schedule it now as I've just booked my overnight accommodation.

Think you should be fine, the half is well established. Where you staying? A saturday night in St Evenage is not the most enticing thought!

I am waiting till I see the route but am quite keen on doing this. Not sure I can face 26 miles and presumably muliple laps of Stevenge's cyclepaths and subways. That's not meant to sound critical of a course I've not even seen but it's where I run all winter and if I grovel round I fear that I'll find it even harder to motivate myself to run after work!

13/04/2014 at 21:21

I've opted for the Holiday Inn Express. It's not much cheaper than the normal Holiday Inn but it looks convenient for station and start.

14/04/2014 at 16:06
The half is two laps of fairlands valley. I can't see any references to a full marathon in November. The marathon in July is out on trails up to the north IIRC.
14/04/2014 at 17:13
18/04/2014 at 22:04

Indeed, this very thread itself is attached to the listed Stevenage Marathon event at http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?EN=83647, where it refers to a full 26.2-mile event in November.

I note from 2W's link that it is only run every 10 years though, so this will presumably be (November) marathon number 3, which might well explain the lack of awareness amongst some of the seasoned locals.

Edited: 18/04/2014 at 22:10
18/04/2014 at 22:29
It's subscriber content only.

Yes. I'm a local. Although I've only run the half in 2009 and again last year. I'm definitely up for this one, even if it is 4 laps of Fairlands Valley (God I hope not!)
19/04/2014 at 12:49

I've emailed the club to see if there are any details on the course (but I used my work email so no idea if they've replied yet)

Assuming that they are keeping it on road, There is a lot of scope to have a course that is more than 4 laps of Fairlands valley so I hope it's more inspiring than that!

It would be easy enough to take the course down to the cycle path next to Gunnels Way and then up Martins Way and then back the same way which I reckon would be 9 or 10 miles, and there would also be scope to send the route up Broadhall way. If they could make that up to 13 miles and do that in between the 2 laps of the half it wouldn't be too bad. Or even a loop of Fairlands Valley Road, Gunnels Way, Martins Way and Verity Way. Loads of options, I doubt (hope) it will be 4 laps of the half course!

19/04/2014 at 15:20
What would be fantastic would be to take it through the town centre and finish in the Borough stadium like a few other 'city marathons'.

The good thing about Stevenage is there is absolutely no need for any road closures. It's all down to the imagination of the organisers and the goodwill of the council.

Although I'm guessing that the half needs to stick to the usual route.
19/04/2014 at 15:21
I also guess it'll be limited to somewhere between 500 and 1000 runners.
21/04/2014 at 15:59

Anyone got any news on whether this marathon is taking place this year?

21/04/2014 at 19:45
2wheels linked earlier upthread.
22/04/2014 at 09:01

I've had an email from the club. The course isn't finalised but unlikely to be 2 laps of the marathon course

22/04/2014 at 09:58
Well done. That's a relief. Two laps of the half is bad enough if it's bleak weather, four would finish me.
22/04/2014 at 12:18

This is what the club sent me Tim:

"I have forwarded your email to the marathon organisers, but I don't think the course has been confirmed yet, but, like you, many people do not want do run 4 laps so I don't think that will be the case!"

So guess we just wait and see.

04/05/2014 at 23:32

Website still stating "entry details to follow". I suppose that's not unreasonable though considering there's still 6 months to go until race day. I'm just nervous about my non-refundable accommodation booking I suppose.

08/05/2014 at 09:02

Paul I had another email from the organiser that said:

"We hope to have entries open in the next few weeks, but we are still finalising details, in particular, the course!  I can say with some certainty though that the full marathon will not be four laps!  Hope to have more news soon, so please keep an eye on our website for further details."

Like you say. it's 6 months away so it's no drama

1 to 20 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.