Stockholm marathon 2013

Anyone doing/done this ??

21 to 30 of 30 messages
05/05/2013 at 18:37

Minniemonster - I love running in parks generally, so that section will be fantastic providing the weather is good. A lot of the spectators will be there weather permitting. I agree that the midday start was rather late and I made a point of eating more at breakfast to have sufficient fuel to keep going. I ended up having 1.5 portion of porridge instead of my usual 1.

I also enjoyed running along the water, on strandvagen and then past the parliament building and old town. Gorgeous if the sun is out and glittering in the water...

I still think that the best part was the finish. Coming into the olympic stadium and seeing the finishing line AND get a medal! Despite shivering and being soooo cold, it was a fantastic feeling, I really hope you get decent weather, fingers crossed it won't be too cold or warm for you.

Hmmm.. writing about it makes me want to do it again, but when the weather is good

05/05/2013 at 19:01

I ran this in 09. Please be wary with the weather. When I ran it was absolutely roasting. So don't take all our winter kit expecting it to be cold not always the case.

The race is very nice, typical city marathon. Nothing I can add about the race that hasn't already been said. Free beer and hotdogs at the finish were a real treat.

If you've never been before don't expect to celebrate in the pub afterwards this city has the most expensive alcohol I have ever experienced. If your looking for something to do outside the race visit the Vasa museum. Brilliant

05/05/2013 at 19:23

or the newly opened ABBA museum, not far away from Vasa

05/05/2013 at 19:34

Yes, the bar prices are horrible in this country. Expect to pay between 5 and 8 pound for a pint. Mixed drinks are even worse. They are served with 4 or 6 cl of liquor and typically cost between 8 and 12 pound. However, prices are generally lower in the Södermalm/Söder (South) part of town, althought they aren´t exactly cheap there either.

15/05/2013 at 13:02

Be prepared for a challenge!

If anyone was there last year.. it was absolutely freezing and torrential rainfall most of the morning of the marathin race day! The wind chill was taking it to like minus 1 or 2.

I think someone explained the race design, its a great race for sure but the one thing im hoping for this year is better weather, a bit of sunshine would be brilliant and maybe a temperature around 10 woud be better!

Anyway, I have a dillemna. Does anyone know if there are any last minute places or if Stockholm Marathon to cancellations? I'm looking to try and get back into the Marathon in the next 2 weeks.. any tips or ideas?

15/05/2013 at 20:12

Unfortunately they don´t have any last minute places and don´t accept any name changes so you can´t get hold of a formal place at this stage as far as I know. But as they don´t do any ID check at the bib pickup some starting places will be availible anyway from people who is not going to run. This of course means that you are going to run in someone elses name.

Try this forum http://www.jogg.se/Forum/Kategori.aspx?catid=14

or this  http://www.funbeat.se/groups/overview.aspx?GroupID=1148

Good luck!

23/05/2013 at 13:53

Great to stumble on this thread, I can't wait 'ti the race now. Did it in 2011 and it was the best marathon (but then I am Swedish so perhaps a bit biased). The bridge is really short and loads of supporters there so don't worry about that. There's quite a lot offered to eat along the way though I would stay clear of the gherkins if they have them again

Good luck to you all

28/05/2013 at 19:39

Was it warm in 2011 ? I've just checked the weather forecast- some says 19 degrees and the other says 22 !! And lots of sunshine, I'm scared ! I don't run we'll in the heat and especially as it starts at midday !

28/05/2013 at 19:44

I'm with you Sazzle23. I can't cope with heat either so don't have much experience running in it, especially at this distance. Just going to take it slow and enjoy the sights. 

28/05/2013 at 20:30

It was windy in 2011 and definitely on the chilly side. I remember it clearly as I was out as a spectator and was wearing my autumn coat - buttoned up... 

I just checked some Swedish forecasts and they are saying 17-18 degrees and partly cloudy on saturday afternoon, which sounds as good weather for running and still good enough to bring out the crowds.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.